Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Combo Cable Modem Wireless Router

I have a cable modem...My ISP uses coax for the connection into the modem. I'm tired of the space and spaghetti with my wired setup and want to go wireless. I'd like to find a good combo modem with wireless router. But most of the ones I look at are for DSL or the like and use a RJ45 or RJ11 jack instead of a coax jack. Anyone know of something reliable and not outrageously expensive?

Thanks!

I have this cable modem Cable Modem

and this wireless router Wireless Router setup. Together they take up very little space (are side stackable) and work well for me. I know you said you were looking to clean up the spaghetti and consolidate space, so wanted to let you know what has worked for me. I haven't bought a combo unit-- I'm a cheapskate. :D -- plus from a space perspective, wouldn't save me too terribly much more room.

-Mike

Alright, having spent the better part of 2 hours looking at the world of WDS (wireless distribution systems), I'm thinking I may have a solution.

US Robotics has there MaxG line. I can keep my current broadband cable modem and add two of their 5461 wireless routers. One can be configured as a wireless router, sit at the cable modem and work as a print server as well. The other router can be configured as a "bridge" to my two wired desktops (one work, one personal). My husband could then choose to wired or wireless with his laptop.

The thru-put wouldn't be great - Some reviews say the routers received only 21mbs because it ends up splitting a 54mbs signal roughly in half to transmit and receive...But hey, my cable modem is only getting about 3-4mbs so it's still faster than it.

The other thing that I could do is add a 5432 bridge at a later date in the living room to hook up a dvr or gaming system.

If anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

The coder at SVEASOFT appears to be one talented individual. If you push, he has to give the software away for free (GPL), however, I think he charges $50 for the media - and $4.00 per copy is worth it for an easy, clean, build.

The only thing I don't like about his operation is that tolerates NO dissent. Even my mention that he tolerates no dissent on is or any other forum would, if he noticed, probably result in one of my accounts being terminated. I won't mention exactly what factual, and non-offensive, comment on my part resulted in a termination threat since he would quite possible use that to identify me and discontinue my access to this so-called "GPL free software" that isn't. But, it's still a great value.