Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Watched..

zhunter

What do you think the PF is on the first stage.....? ;)
i just read this quote about the apollo 15 launch:

"we burned up something like 6 million pounds of fuel in the first two and a half minutes. that's 18,000 pounds a second. it took a fuel pump that generated 500,000 hp just to pump the fuel to the engines."

that math doesnt quite add up, but either way that's some serious power.

Too cloudy over JAX, couldn't see anything.

Somtime ago getting my cars in the garage at night, I caught a launch of some rocket. It was a very clear night and I followed that sucker until it was another bright peck on the black sky. It was very nice.

I had the good fortune to watch an early morning launch a few year ago.

It was from about 30 miles away but even at that distance, an awesome sight.

The thing that struck me the most about it was that I always thought it went more or less straight up until it got quite high.

Such is not the case.

It began a long arc out over the Atlantic almost immediately after lift off.

I would love to see it up close.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

Knowing you, Jay, I was half thinking this thread might be about something else... based on the subject... :lol:

Unfortunately, the closest I've been able to see a launch from is Orlando - but its still pretty impressive that you can see it from there, even. Sadly, one of those launches was a "mishap" :( I'd love to see one up close and personal someday...

Too cool...

We used to watch the launches from the base in JAX in the eighties. Kinda small in the sky, but still fun to watch. I was working the day Challenger exploded. Had my back turned to the southern sky. When I turned around there was only smoke trails.

I'd like to be just off the coastline and watch a launch. On the list of things to do...

The shuttle is great vehicle. But like all goverment projects. The estimated cost and actually were only off by 1000%. But you know how those cost plus projects go can get away from ya. Did any foam fall off this time????

Kinda like the hubble, Kodak was going to build the mirror, plus provide a spare. We went with unknown company because bid was 500K cheaper and in some senators home town. By time it got built it was 1000% over budget, never was tested was ground wrong and we had to field a second mission to put corrective lenses on it.

Edited by cking

I watched it from Tittusville about 5 miles across the ocean where we could see all the way from the launch pad to space. It is a spectacular sight. The final night launch for this shuttle program.

Daniel,

We were shooting a State Championship match in Titusville many years back. We woke up to what seemed like a mild earthquake, only to learn that the shuttle had just taken off. We turned on the TV to see all of the closed circuit stuff that only the locals get to see. Only wish I could have been in the parking lot when it went off.

Around 92, the Air Force used to launch Titan IV's out of Vandenberg AFB, CA, a couple of times a year. Those of us who got to see them launch felt lucky. Those of us who woke thinking it was an earthquake changed our sheets. Those of us who got used to the Titans slept through lots of earthquakes. :)

Liota

My family and I spent a couple of months in Miami this past summer and one of the things I really wanted to do before we left Florida was see a Shuttle launch. We managed to catch one ( I think it was in late August, but I can't recall exactly). We had to drive up there twice from Miami since they scrubbed the launch twice due to a bad something or other. We were 11 miles from the launch pad at Jetty Park, just south of the Cape. It was an awesome sight. There was a little bit of cloud cover so we did not get as clear a view as I would have liked, but the view was still impressive and now I can cross off one of the things on my list to see/do before I die. The sound of the thing is what got me the most. It comes up from the ground and words fail to describe it. You have to be there to understand. I am just happy that my 10 yr old daughter got to see it.