Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Must Be Crazy

Joe D

It is 16 degrees in B'ham right now and I am getting ready to go set up some stages for a match today. It will be interesting to watch the 1911 guys that have slathered their guns in grease shoot today. Glock? Just took mine out of the dishwasher and put a couple of drops of oil on it.

It is 16 degrees in B'ham right now and I am getting ready to go set up some stages for a match today. It will be interesting to watch the 1911 guys that have slathered their guns in grease shoot today. Glock? Just took mine out of the dishwasher and put a couple of drops of oil on it.

Interesting comment. Do people actually put their Glocks in the dishwasher? If so, all parts, some parts? This may be the most pro Glock post I've ever seen. As much as I shoot and as many guns as I shoot, such a simple answer to gun cleaning is very appealing.

Lee

Although I'll be shooting IPSC today, I share the same mental alffliction here in Mobile. It's about 25 and still dropping and I'm about to leave to set up our match.

Joe D,

will you be shooting at the FOP range this morning?

dj

Why oil it Joe? Just use Jet Dry in the rinse cycle, eh? And yes, you are.

Why would anyone slather their Colt in grease? I doubt you'll see too many problems out of 1911's that are using anything close to a factory ball load.

Watch for puking on the carbine side match though, too much oil on an AR in this weather might cause problems.

Mike

Although I'll be shooting IPSC today, I share the same mental alffliction here in Mobile. It's about 25 and still dropping and I'm about to leave to set up our match.

Joe D,

will you be shooting at the FOP range this morning?

dj

We're shooting IDPA this weekend at Steel City. Weather Channel says it'll be 40 @ 10am match time.

I should have enough carbon build up in my CZ not to have to worry about it...besides it's from eastern Europe, it should be used to the cold! :D

It has about 20,000 rounds through it so I thought it might need a bath. Match turn out was a little light 12-14. Where are the rest of you candy asses?

The new CZ Tactical shoots pretty good. Drop it off and let me put the "blue tip wrench" to that extended dust cover. On a more serious note it was as good a gun as any STI 2011 I have seen. That thing might make a pretty darn good Limited gun. I like the built in slide racker.

I have my wife load my mags. I allow her to carry my bag and tag along at matches. She picks up brass after each match. When we get home she cleans my guns.

If you doubt my words just ask Jim Watson. :lol:

Heck it was above freezing by 9am when I arrived to help set up. Folks were shedding layers by 11am and it was 51 degrees diving home.

Joe's minor .40 loads in the CZ TS were like shooting an open gun with no muzzle rise at all. With major pf loads I watched the sights lift and return on every shot. I will admit that running the big CZ though a short IDPA stage felt like driving a M1 tank after having shot the match with a regular sized CZ 75.

Went to an IPSC match this morning and just before getting out of the car hit the outside temp button.....24 degrees at 9am. What was I thinking when I left this morning. By 11 the temp was quite nice and I was glad I went after all.

I do talk big when she is not around don't I. :P I did have to chuckle when she showed up for the match. She looked like the little kid in the snow suit from that Christmas Story movie. She must have had 10 layers of clothes on. I should have taken a picture.

If half the people put their glocks in the dishwasher that say they do, it would be interesting to see how warped the frames get and which internal parts really WILL rust with a little use :)

Lube is very important below freezing... i do like to see those who prepared.

TW25B is awesome stuff in the cold down to zero.. below that i haven't tried.

I really don't put it in the dishwasher. :P I have used FP 10 for years. I really like the stuff. Tetra is good, but remember to shake it up.

I just noticed something. Steve joined this Forum one day after I did. What's the deal with the member numbers? Why so far apart?

Edited by Joe D

Dishwasher. Hmm hadn't thought of that. I switched to KYDEX holtser and now use nylon belts. I put my paints in the MAYTAG (no bleach) with the gun in the holster, loaded mag pouches and all. Works great, but make sure you do a second rinse and low heat on the tumble dry. :lol:

Yes, Joe, you were crazy, and so was I. It was 14 degrees at my house when we left for Cherokee. Luckily, I'm naturally well insulated. :D

=====================================

A few years back, on a cold morning very much like last Saturday, there was a massive dose of 'broken-gun' running up and down the range during a local match. Seemed like damn near every Open gun was jamming and wouldn't feed for love nor money. Turned out one of the local guys had discovered Slide Glide and had gotten a lot of his friends to try it.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a great product. I use it in moderation on some internals. But I guess they hadn't yet experienced what cold grease can do to guns with light springs, and a bunch of folks found out that day. :lol:

Tom Graham, the Glock pistolsmith who did Making Glocks Rock, and I used to be good friends when he lived in Tacoma. I watched Tom clean his Glocks in a dishwasher many times. No possibility of BS, he really did it - and never had a problem with it. As he said with grin afterwards, "Just be sure not to put the frame on the bottom rack."