Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Fit?

Joe D

Has anyone actually checked the barrel to slide fit in these guns? I don't mean pushing down on the barrel to see if it will move. Mark the upper lugs on the barrel with a Sharpie and see if they are making contact with the slide. Install the barrel without the recoil spring. Let the slide stop hang down and see if it rotates as you push the slide closed that last 1/4" or so.

Just curious as I have one of these on order.

Has anyone actually checked the barrel to slide fit in these guns? I don't mean pushing down on the barrel to see if it will move. Mark the upper lugs on the barrel with a Sharpie and see if they are making contact with the slide. Install the barrel without the recoil spring. Let the slide stop hang down and see if it rotates as you push the slide closed that last 1/4" or so.

Just curious as I have one of these on order.

I'd probably e-mail Benny Hill since he has tested one. I am sure he disaasembled his and looked it over.

Larry, I don't think my specific question was answered. There was a somewhat general answer by Merlin. I did not get the impression that he actually marked the barrel lugs and checked for slide contact.

I wouldn't fret over it. These pistols are carefully hand fitted by a select group of filipino gun crafters and go thru numerous QC checks. They would never allow even one of the Spartans to reach STI with even the slightest fitting flaw or imperfection. No matter that one could lose his-her employment but a matter of personal pride. I just hope they find a solution towards easier take down.

What is the take down issue? If it is the FLGR then that takes about 5 min. to fix.

Ivan, I will give him a call Monday. I am pretty sure I already know the answer. I doubt a gun in this price range has a properly fitted barrel.

What is the take down issue? If it is the FLGR then that takes about 5 min. to fix.

Ivan, I will give him a call Monday. I am pretty sure I already know the answer. I doubt a gun in this price range has a properly fitted barrel.

Joe, sorry to burst your bubble, but I checked both the Spartan's I got in the shop and the fit was pretty dang good. They passed all the checks. Sorry to say, but they were actually better fit than the Springfield Trophy Match I was working on today.

Mine take down just fine so I have no idea what diffculty he is having.

Sorry to have to share this news, it sounds like you want them to be POS, mine aren't. I have 4 more coming next week so I'll check them out also.

Chet, please don't take this wrong, but Dawson Precision would not do a darn thing about barrel to slide lock up. I really don't take much stock in a dealer checking out a gun.

Well, I have no way to take this but "the wrong way".

What experience do you have with Dawson that would back up your statement? I have found Dawson Precision to be a very reputable dealer and they have gone above and beyond in ensuring that the guns that leave their shop are well beyond satisfactory.

-Chet

I dont think Joe D is going to be happy until someone tells him that this 600 dollar pistol is a POS. Well its still the best 600 dollar pistol I ever saw. But if it will set his mind at ease I will say that she sweats less than any fat gal I ever saw.---------------Larry

So Chet you are telling me that Dawson takes every gun apart that they sell and inspect every part. Sorry but I find that a little hard to believe. If they do then my hat is off to them.

Larry seems like I have offended you, sorry about that if I have.

As I recall I just asked a pretty simple question about barrel fit. You do know what a properly fitted barrel looks like don't you. Maybe you don't.

BTW Loves2Shoot you will have to try harder than that to bust my bubble. I certainly don't want them to be a POS. Why would I? If a well made, properly fitted 1911 can be bought for under $600 then I will be their biggest fan.

Sorry if I have offended some of you - get over it.

Mod note:

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful. Please – no antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones.

So Chet you are telling me that Dawson takes every gun apart that they sell and inspect every part. Sorry but I find that a little hard to believe. If they do then my hat is off to them.

Larry seems like I have offended you, sorry about that if I have.

As I recall I just asked a pretty simple question about barrel fit. You do know what a properly fitted barrel looks like don't you. Maybe you don't.

If you get the Dawson "Enhancement Package" (not coincidentally the very first thing on the 'firearms' page of 'www.dawsonprecision.com' for everybody that isn't living in a bubble) with it, then yes, they do take it entirely apart and go through it and change things around to how they think it should be. I've seen them remachining parts that weren't up to their specs before. Even if you don't get that, they'll handle dealing with STI for warrantee work as well.

I've fit 1911 barrels. You need a lot more than a sharpie. I've looked at Spartans. They're fit fine. Why not hope for the best and not fret about it until you have one in-hand??

Sorry if I have offended some of you - get over it.

<_< Hey, Joe, who crapped in your Cheerios this morning, anyway??

Sounds like the pistol's a heck of a deal... and sorry that you can't handle that maybe somebody offers a decent product out there for a good price... and that maybe somebody offers good customer service, to boot... ;)

my only question is where does this leave the trojan and other top dollar single stack STI's? please dont get me wrong here, but I would be pretty upset if I just payed $12-1300 on a trojan, to have a gun similar in comparrison w the bells and whistles by the same company for half of what I just paid. I think that is why there seems to be so much skepticism about this "rookie" match gun. However, after shooting the 2011's I dont think STI would put their name on anything mediocre. I cant wait to see one with my hands!

A Trojan is about $950.

I did discuss that with STI at A4 and he said, I think we are going to hurt our Trojan sales.

Keep it in perspective. Its a $600 gun worth $1K, its not a $2K gun BUT I believe you could turn it into one at a substantial discount. Really all 2K guns start as a basic 1911. Its the parts and fitting work that make them what they are.

As an entry level 1911 to leave as is. There is no question its a great one.

Its really apples and oranges. The Trojan has a forged slide, a better barrel and sights and better finish and more choices. They are really for diffrent markets, but if you want a single stack .45 there may be a lot of overlap in that market.------Larry

I just don't see the problem. Finally there's a sub$600 1911 that actually worth a crap. How can that be a bad thing? Plus, it's a great vehicle to get STI products out of the IPSC niche and into retail gunstores. That volume buying power will translate into the ability to buy custom-quality guns at prices that more closely resemble retail. Isn't this what we've all wanted for years?

I just bought a Trojan and you don't hear me singing the blues over this. I don't see my "investment" being devalued in any way. To me it's an opportunity to pick up a solid 45 at a super price. ;)

I can hardly wait for the double-stack 40s... :)