Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plz Recommend Minor 9mm Production Ammo

hrbngr

hello,

I am having a 9mm open gun built that I will initially be shooting 9mm minor/production ammo from. I am doing this as I do not know how to reload and I am initially looking to buy ammo in bulk so that I can get a lot of practice time in.

Can anyone recommend a cheap ammo that runs well in a 9mm open gun? The gunsmith will setup the gun to shoot minor initially, btw. Would an affordable 115gr +P load be better to shoot than a 147gr, for example?

thanks.

thanks for the reply. I am hoping that someone might have info on which production ammo would be more suited--if any-- to run through an open 9mm configured for minor.

but Win WB is not a bad idea, as it is affordable!

I am shooting an Open G34 setup with a magna-ported barrel,

WCWB is ok , good price for pratice, accuracy is not as good as rds listed below.

This is what I shoot for USPSA and Steel Matchs

Atlanta Arms Ammo 9mm 115grn is very good/accuracy 130PF for my setup

Atlanta Arms Ammo 9mm 147grn Subsonic very soft/good accuracy 125PF

Georgian Arms Ammo 9mm 115grn {Canned Heat bulk 500rds} 131PF

Edited by Knee Deep

I researched this pretty throughly recently. Atlanta Arms makes match ammo, the 147 was the lowest PF that I found. $7.50 a box when I bought. Thats about $1.00 higher than WWB, but it seems to be worth it. I have read that teamglock uses Ammo from here.

Rik

hrbngr,

What is your reason for not reloading?

If you are planing on doing this with any frequency, it will pay for itself.

Not for 9mm minor.

Not unless you can reload 9mm for significantly less than 12.88 per hundred with jacketed bullets.

hrbngr,

What is your reason for not reloading?

If you are planing on doing this with any frequency, it will pay for itself.

Not for 9mm minor.

Not unless you can reload 9mm for significantly less than 12.88 per hundred with jacketed bullets.

Let's see... Bullets like Berry's copper plated 124 grain cost about 5 cents each, powder will be about 1.5 to 2 cents per round, and primers are about 2 cents a round. The cases are the most expensive part, but can be reloaded to minor in 9mm many times, perhaps as many as a dozen times. Soooo.... buy 1000rnds of good cheap ammo like White Box, Remington, Speer Lawman, Sellier and Bellot, or some other, pick up the fired cases and start reloading them. In the end you will have more accurate ammo at a very reasonable price and have paid for a press like the Dillon Square Deal by the time you reload 6000 rounds from your thousand cases.

i would have the gunsmith set up the pistol for major ammo and shoot Winchester 9mm+P+ ranger 127 grain police ammo...getting this ammo is not a problem for me but may be for you.. Fail that, get the hottest 124 grain load you can get and shoot that...like 9mm NATO.

poofy 147s are not going to make the open gun work like it needs to..

harmon

I'm not sure any Minor load in 9mm is going to work an Open gun like it needs to be worked. Have your gunsmith set it up however he thinks it will work most reliably. then try some of each 9mm ammo you can lay hands on. If you can feel any difference at all, then pick what works the best, at the price you can afford.

Once you've had some practice with the gun, and get a feel for what you like, then start experimenting with 9mm Major loads.

A few tips for when you start loading 9mm Major: settle on a single source of, and type of, 9mm brass. You'll have enough to do without trying to accomodate multiple brass.

Do not accept any loading data at face value. Start below and work up, looking for pressure signs. If you see any at all, stop using that load.

Do not assume that just because someone says "This is the perfect 9mm Major load" that it is true for you. Some like a gun that shoots flat. Others like one that cycles quickly. You have to decide what you want your gun to feel like, or what gives you the best performance for your shooting style.

Would an affordable 115gr +P load be better to shoot than a 147gr, for example?

Yes, I think it would...in an Open gun. Hot factory ammo (+p) would likely use a slow burning powder...which will help work your comp a bit. And, a lighter bullet (115's vs 147's) should also mean that there is a bit more gas to work the comp (lighter bullet take more powder).

What type of gun are you getting built, and who is the smith?

There's a shooter in Houston who is happy shooting Blazer 115 grain ammo in his Open gun. He shoots mostly As, so PF isn't much of an issue. :)

I keep looking for pressure-tested 9x19 Major loads, and can't seem to find them...guess it's one of those "If I don't know, it can't hurt me" things.

I just put 150 rounds of Blazer 115 and 50 rounds of Atlanta Arms 147 down range tonight. The Blazer is very accurate out of my G35 (LWD 9mm barrel), but it is much more snappy than the AA 147. I just don't think you can get anything sweeter than Atlanta Arms 147 in production ammo. I am ordering another 1000 rounds tommorow.

Best, Rik