Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coldest Night Of The Year...

Middle Man

So the low will be about 17 degrees tonight and some jacka$$ cable contractor hit the gas line in front of my house. Now for some unknown reason the gas meter connection at the side of my house was broken and the incoming valve only partially closed. I pull in the garage, smell gas faintly, check my gas furnace and discover the fires won't burn. Call for an after hours service tech to fix the furnace, he checks and it's fine but goes around to the side and finds that someone has been tampering with my gas meter. We call the gas utility...guy asks there wasn't a note on your door or in your mailbox...no I answer. Well turns out the utility had a call from a cable contractor about hitting a gas line at my address. The gas company had been out and taken care of that apparently, but why in the world on the coldest night of the year did some $%***er monkey with my connection. I was even home for a late lunch this afternoon and the contractors didn't say a word to me, but I wondered why they were giving me goofy (now what I think were guilty) looks.

Here I sit, out $100 bucks to the furnace service company, waiting on the gas company tech to come reattach my meter. I'm not sure who to point the finger at for incompetence and/or blame, but it's stinkin cold! The stupid gas logs won't even work. Our saving grace is the small central unit upstairs is electric so we have some heat in the house.

Being mad isn't keeping me warm!

Yeah the power of a hate forum vent!!!!

After waiting, recounting the tale, and a little griping here: kudos to the hard working gas company service guy that hooked it all back up. Now if we can solve the mystery of where this cold fiasco started I can maybe recover my hundred bucks.

Yeah the power of a hate forum vent!!!!

After waiting, recounting the tale, and a little griping here: kudos to the hard working gas company service guy that hooked it all back up. Now if we can solve the mystery of where this cold fiasco started I can maybe recover my hundred bucks.

If you can narrow down the problem to a particular contractor, I do believe that someone owes you some money! $100 can buy 1500+ bullets ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up: We tracked down the cable contractor responsible last week and hope to see a reimbursement check in a few more days. The crew's foreman had a dumb, blank look on his face as I did my best a$$-chewing impression of a salty old brick mason I once worked for...my wife was able to have a more civil discourse with the contractor's office staff.