Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

[poll] 9mm 1911 Most Likely To Work?

bp78

I picked up a springfield loaded 9mm from a forum member and have nothing but great things to say about it, it's solid as a rock. The only thing I've done is installed an SV trigger and AFTEC extractor, but that's personal preference. The overall fit and appearance of the gun is a 9.5 IMHO.

It's ran like a top in the 400 rounds I've put through it, going to slide-lock every time and it hasn't had a FFT or FTE yet.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another springer.

A better question would be which will run with 10 round .38 Super mags. If you are going to limit yourself to 9 round mags then I would go with a .40 or .45ACP - yep I said .45ACP.

A .40 will feed much more reliably than a 9mm. If you reload then the cost is about the same for all.

I have a Springer and it works like a champ. (That is not the case with my friend's STI.... which cost over 3 times more)

Having said that--- I bought it because it's nearly a mirror of my SA Trophy Match which is my primary IDPA/CDP gun.

If I was starting from scratch... and money wasn't an issue.. and I was reloading all competition ammo - - - -

I'd go with a double stack .40 1911 for ESP. The double stacks are much faster to re-load and give you one more round (the single stack 9s are only 9 +1)..... and the .40 makes a bigger hole... which will pick up a few points now and then ;)

Edited by MichiganShootist

I have had all of those guns listed. The Springfield comes with horrible rough edges and a terrible trigger. The Para PXT will be plagued with extraction problems. The Kimber is nice,I personally am just not fond of Kimber although they are a great gun and mine ran flawlessly. The big cursive name on the slide just bugs me. Stupid reason,but oh well. All of the STI pistols run well out of the box. I have a VIP, Tactical 5.0 and a Trojan. As well as two other STI frame kits I built into 9mm. The Trojan is a nice pistol out of the box. The trigger is about 5 pounds and fairly crisp. Good trigger for a production pistol. Consider looking at the Eagle 5.0 in 9mm. Also a very good running pistol. STI mags can be costly but it will also make a good crossover pistol for USPSA Limited although it would be classified as minor. As JoeD said,the .40 is also a very good choice for a SS or the Eagle as it would then be classified Major in USPSA and the .40 can be loaded to minor velocity for a very soft shooting round suitable for IDPA. I can't say that I believe the .40 is any more reliable than the 9mm,but in theory it should feed better. It wasn't on your list but I'd take a good look at the STI Eagle 5.0 first and the Trojan second.

Yeah.....and what Michiganshootist said while I was typing is a very good point.

Edited by 00bullitt

Springfield loaded, install Dawson Fibre optic front sight, Smith & Alexander mag well housing, Sprinco Guide Rod, large King safety, big enough for two thumbs and change, Ultra thin Alumna Grips with Eric’s grip tape, to finish it off, add Barsto deep throated barrel for those loaded long 147 grainers coming up in the McCormick 38 super 10 round mags…yup, like this gun, works good and shoots soft. Don’t forget to junk the ILS stuff...

still well under a grand

michaels

Virgil Tripp also made a couple bucks from me re-ramping my STI Trojans .40 and .38 Super. That being said, my STI Trojan 9mm with Metalform "Springfield" Magazines from Brownells' 620-000-008 needed no work and runs on WWB. In hindsight, $1000 for a Trojan and $300 to VT, I'd probably spend $1300 on something else...and will the next time. 1 of 3 are bad odds.

Got my 9mm Trojan from Dawson about 3 years ago to shoot IDPA. I have only shot Blazers and WWB in matches and range. It's been perfect and I wouldn't consider anything else unless it was a really good deal.

Rik

Edited by Rik

For what my vote is worth, I voted on the kimber. I never shot an STI singlestack, so I cant vouch for it, though the 2011 is by far better than any of my springfields or kimbers. My kimber custom II was a great gun for the money. it is far tighter fit/finish than a loaded SA, eats anything you feed it, but the trigger needs work. after shooting my S_i w a 2lb trigger, going to roughly 5lbs really messes with my shooting. I have gone 2k+ rounds without cleaning it before it gummed up enough to jam. you have to replace the mags immediately. kimbers mags SUCK. wilsons stainless seem to work flawlessly. my kimber has well over 10,000 rds through it (first 1911, 2nd handun I ever bought) and doesnt need the springs replaced, never broke anything, and has never been back to the factory since I bought it. I know they recommend you change the springs every 2500 rds, but mine was going strong. my springers with approximately 1/3rd the use have needed extractors replaced, firing pin, spring replacements, jams about every 400 rds, and the guns are cool, for $650 + magwell, grips, trigger job(again about 5-6lbs on the loaded, 9-10 on a mil-spec!), you may want to look into the STI spartan. it seems to have all the bells & whistles except the strange chrome barrel, and it will probably need a magwell, and trigger job. I think its amazing you can get an STI with most of the features you would need to purchase to make a springer or Kimber a contender in single stack for under $700. The kimber is a great gun. I hope I get it back. :(

I voted springer because that is what I have and haven't had a single problem out of it. Are the 38 super 10rd mags extend because if they are they won't fit in the box. If I was going to buy a ESP 1911 type pistol I would get a eagle, 2011 I know, in .40. About the same to reload and not a whole lot more than a trojan and you get real 10+1 and can use it in limited or limited 10 in IPSC, in fact that is what I plan to do. Now if your stuck on the 9mm then same thing only in 9mm but you'll be limiting yourself to minor if you shoot it in Limited.

Edited by steel1212

Now if your stuck on the 9mm then same thing only in 9mm but you'll be limiting yourself to minor if you shoot it in Limited.

I'm stuck on 9mm because I don't reload and don't have the time to start. Also the bulk of my local matches are all IDPA which doesn't do Major/Minor scoring. With the Para or a 2011 I could trade out the top end for a .40 if I ever find & get into the USPSA matches.

If you are just looking for a good single action for ESP div then take a look at the CZ 75 SA. Decent trigger out of the box that can be improved later with competition parts from CZ. Everyone I know who has used a single stack 1911 9mm has had nagging problems with it. Still, I want one too, always the optomist.

The 10 round 38 Super mags are not extended. The problem I have seen with most 9mm 1911s and 10 round Super mags is the first round will tend to nose dive. The tapered 9mm case can be a real issue. I had a SA in 9mm a few years back. I could just not get it to run 100% with 10 round mags. Changed ramp angle, tried different followers, different OALs, all to no avail.

There are those that like the idea of using 9 round mags and starting with 10 in the gun. I can only think of a few match stages that having 11 in the gun worked better.

IMO the ramp angle is not quite right in the Trojans. A non-ramped barrel might be a better plan in a 9mm 1911. I may just build one to see. I think my bud Jim Watson has a non-ramped 9mm 1911 BBQ gun.

OTOH if you are using a 1911 a .45ACP with 9 round mags works just as well for ESP.

Yes the Eagle is legal for IDPA.

Edited by Joe D

Another option would be a Wilson KZ, BUL or Caspian in .45ACP. Much cheaper. The BUL is the best deal by far. Just wish someone other that the morons at Charles Daly brought them in. Dealer cost on a Government model is less than $600. There is the issue of the bull barrel they come with. 15 min on the lathe cures that though. So does a $100 Kart barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You all for the responses.

I ordered a STI Trojan from Brazo's Custom with a magwell and a Brazo's microdot FO sight added. It should arrive on Friday. Hoping to get some range time with it before my next local match on Tuesday. :-)

I ended up picking the STI because of the recommendations here & from some IDPA buddies. Local prices left the STI only about $200ish more expensive than the Springfield.

Edited by bp78

It arrived today along with an extra pair of metalform mags. I had Brazos add their MicroDot FO sight and an STI magwell + housing.

sti_trojan1.JPG

sti_trojan2.JPG

Looking forward to a range outing tomorrow.

Edited by bp78

Since you already bit, my opinion is worth even less that usual (down to about $.01 now)

Every STI 9mm I have had experience with gagged until the recoilmaster was swapped out for something else.

I personally run a Para P-18 and it kicks ass. I put an aluminum S&A magwell on it and a little tweaking of other parts to make IDPA weight. I have had no feed or extraction problems with a properly adjusted extractor. And I can reload the Para mags easier than the finicky 9mm/38 super single stack mags that sometimes work with 10 rds and sometimes don't. It is a really soft shooter with 9mm.

I have about $1000 total in the gun including things I changed (out of personal preference) and 7 -18 rd mags.