Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Went To Revo Heaven

aerosigns

To all of the guys on Squad's 17 & 19.

As some of you know I have been spending the last few days at the S&W Academy. For those of you who haven't been here, I think I am either in Gun Valley or Heaven.

Besides being paid to tear apart guns, screw them up, and then put them back together... with nary a dremel tool to be found, we have gotten to do a lot of extras.

Today we took a tour of the S&W plant, and got to see each step of hatchling revo's being born. We were able to speak with many of the craftsmen who make the revos. I didn't speak to a single person with less than 30 years experience. It was very evident that regardless of what part or step the persons were doing they had a great deal of pride in their work.

When I walked into the main lobby of the Smith & Wesson plant, Julie Goloski was walking down the stairs. She was very kind to stop and talk with me for a few minutes. We talked about shooting at Barry this year, and how the womens squad 18 was bracketed by the Revo squads 17 and 19.

Got to have a little private session with THE master engraver. He was nice enough to let us watch and explain what he was doing as he engraved a $10K 1911.

The Shooting Sports Center is great also. One of the guys there used to build the guns for one of the guys on Squad 17. Got to shoot a box of ammo each in a PC 952-2, 7" Model 41, 6" Model 617, M&P .40 & a 9mm, so far.

The only downside I have had so far is trying to get them to let me buy a Ti cylinder. Boy do they give you the run-around when you want to buy parts for extra curricular activities like shooting. <_< Wish you all could be here. I will post a few pictures later when I get back home. :D

Edited by aerosigns

The only downside I have had so far is trying to get them to let me buy a Ti cylinder. Boy do they give you the run-around when you want to buy parts for extra curricular activities like shooting. Wish you all could be here. I will post a few pictures later when I get back home.

If they won't sell you a cylinder tell them to get off the dime and start offering it as a factory feature; call it the TBF* special. ;)

*Team Bunny Fart

Jerry M. told me they aren't making anymor Ti cylinders. That we should get them while we can. That may be why they are hard to get. :(

What?? :o What's the rest of the story on that?? Is the 325PD dead too?

They have lots of them in the airweight .45's. I saw them in the skids.

I pointed out that at the beer factories they give out samples at the end of the tour, but they seemed unmoved.

I now have the tools and the knowledge, just still can't get my hands on the darn cylinder. One good thing though is that I now have some face to face contact with the guys in Customer Service, etc. Maybe that will help.

How does one get to attend this school? Is it law inforcement only?

The first qualification for the school is you have to be able to load only half as much powder as needed for your national loads, and the second is you have to be in charge of security at a nuke plant :)

And I am not kidding about either of those.

Jim, send Rob Boudrie an email....he knows the name of the guy at S&W who can set you up with a Ti cylinder (if you really think you need one). Don't spread the name on the 'net, we don't want to get the guy in trouble.

Oh, and no dremels?? Maybe that's why they send out so many guns with such crappy trigger pulls. (Just kidding, I don't use a dremel on a trigger job......much.)

Yes the class is limited to LE only, sorry.

Tom is incorrect. You don't have to load half as much powder, you don't put any in at all. Tip - by doing this it really lightens up the overall weight of your utility gun belt. We have decided not to pursue this tactic further, since carrying the bullet rod cancels out the weight savings.

The Ti cylinder was just going to be a cool souvenier, since I now have the technology.

Mike and Tom - There are a few other benefits that I will have to fill you guys in on later. I can't go into it here. When next I see you guys I will have to tell you about some of the cool stuff on the plant tour.

While I had some free time here I went to the real Springfield Armory. That was pretty cool. Doesn't take a long time to see it all, but it was awesome to just be in the building.

Yes the class is limited to LE only, sorry.

Tom is incorrect. You don't have to load half as much powder, you don't put any in at all. Tip - by doing this it really lightens up the overall weight of your utility gun belt. We have decided not to pursue this tactic further, since carrying the bullet rod cancels out the weight savings.

The Ti cylinder was just going to be a cool souvenier, since I now have the technology.

Mike and Tom - There are a few other benefits that I will have to fill you guys in on later. I can't go into it here. When next I see you guys I will have to tell you about some of the cool stuff on the plant tour.

While I had some free time here I went to the real Springfield Armory. That was pretty cool. Doesn't take a long time to see it all, but it was awesome to just be in the building.

Jim,

Are you still in Springfield? If so, send a PM

Mike

Would that be considered Bling Blang? :lol:

Round Gun,

Did you need something from there?

I have now returned to the lovely Land of Lincoln. No more to drive the messed up, confusing streets of New England. :wacko:

I expected to find the quaint little villages from the Bob Newhart show. In reality it was all urban blight like I have right here at home. Walmarts and strip malls everywhere. I guess I'm a country mouse, but I couldn't believe how little people there knew about their surrounding area. I had to use Mapquest to find dining and attractions.

Too bad is right.

I could have met you for dinner or something.

I pity you for having to drive in those cities. Chicago is easier by a mile to drive in than, to drive in Springfield or Hartford.

As far as the cylinder, I have the contacts inside now to get one, but I was trying to save myself the shipping costs. At least I have all of the tools, and half the knowledge to install it myself now.

Too bad is right.

I could have met you for dinner or something.

I pity you for having to drive in those cities. Chicago is easier by a mile to drive in than, to drive in Springfield or Hartford.

As far as the cylinder, I have the contacts inside now to get one, but I was trying to save myself the shipping costs. At least I have all of the tools, and half the knowledge to install it myself now.

I am on the coast and not near any city. That traffic makes me crazy. I get on the highway, drive to S&W, do what I need to do, and drive home.

This will give you an idea of the area.

http://www.vsv.cape.com/%7eharharb/main.html