Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Bullet Type For Limited

born-in-45

I am relatively new to Limited (SVI .40 LDC) and was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of different bullet types. I am currently using Precision Bullets 185 FN but would like input on using Hollowpoint and Jacketed styles for Limited .40. Is one type inherently more accurate, reliable, etc. I am certainly happy with Precision's pricing relative to HP and FMJ but.....

THANKS

No real difference, I use to shoot Montana golds but with the runaway prices on bullets I have to switch to Precisions. No real difference in accuracy. Gun is a little softer with same PF ( 172) as loads are .3 of a grain less.

Its a little more $$ but I use Hornady 180gr HP. I'm more accurate with it (compare to FP) or I just got better shooting . Just hate the fact that I can't tumble it after reloading...corn cob get in the "hole"

Edited by palcapt

Keep some JHP's loaded in your bag for big matches. A low sun combined with a little more smoke from coated bullets isn't cool when you can't see the targets after the first 2 shots.......

+1! I learned that lesson the hard way at the 2005 GA State match. The Precisions hardly smoke, and I will keep on using them, but even that small amount of smoke bit me hard.

Dead calm, no wind at all. Low sun on first 2 stages. I had to wave away the smoke so I could continue shooting. I loaded some JHP's after that and keep them around "just in case".

I have been using 180 Masterblasters, which don't produce any more smoke than shooting jacketed. You just need to pick your powder and charge weight wisely. I actually noticed more smoke when I shot Zeros over Titegroup. :huh: