Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1a Accuracy

oddjob

Got a M1A and it shot impressive groups with the standard flash suppressor. I live in California so I got a Smith muzzle break. It now shoots 5" groups at 100 yds. No streaks on the break. Did I do something wrong here?? On one of the other M1A forums there was a suggestion that the castle nut was too tight. How does that affect accuracy? This is my heavy metal gun if it makes a difference.

thanks

Those who live in Kaliforniastan can't have eeevil flash hiders. The USAMTU specs for match-conditioning an M-14 called for taper-reaming the inside of the flash hider to pretty specific dimensions.

I'd send a note to Smith and ask them. If this is something they've seen before, they might have a solution.

Patrick's got it. I'd call either Smith or SA and figure out what needs to get right.

When I get home, I'm going to have to kick your butt 'cause you could have gone with a much better comp than that and still been compliant.

Rich

Smith Enterprise is what I'm using. Just tried to unscrew the allen head to loosen the castle nut. I stripped the allen head now...........Geez this sucks......Off to the gunsmith I go.........Hey Rich I still have my M-1 Garand!!! And my Shiloh Sharps 45-110!!

Gordon,

I already whooped everyone in that Cooley class so Ron would be a nice little bit of icing. That said, the JP-BC or Rolling Thunder would have been a better option, but that's my opinion.

Ron,

I forgot about the Sharps. Bastard!!! I'll be getting my Quigley after I get back from Dirka-stan.

Rich

News flash. Everything in a comp is available for everything. Just ask for the threads not to be cut and ream out the bore to the right diameter. Then cut the threads yourself (or a gunsmith do it.

I would wager if you called ahead and gave the desired thread pattern to JP or Benny they'd do it for you.

Rich

Newsflash? :rolleyes:

Here is a link to a picture of the Smith brake for the M1A:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...1A+MUZZLE+BRAKE

If you notice the comp and the front sight base is one in the same. You will notice it also has the slot for the castlenut. So newsflash! it isn't a matter of "just ask for the threads not to be cut and ream out the bore to the right diameter. Then cut the threads yourself (or a gunsmith do it.)"

Do M1A flashiders and comps themselves even have threads?

So newsflash! :lol:

Hey Gordo,

See, I'm in the world that doesn't tend to shoot iron sights if I can put a scope on a rifle. Call me crazy. That said, and not knowing the geometry of these rifles that well (as I've had no need to buy one) I'd say that I'll have to take a look at Ron's rifle when I go home.

You on the other hand probably should be practicing instead of trying to be 'cute' on the boards. ;):D

Rich

You on the other hand probably should be practicing instead of trying to be 'cute' on the boards. ;):D

Naahh. I'm afraid to be tested remember.

I have a Smith Brake on my M1A. It works well.

Hey the Coast Guard uses it. So it has to be bad ass.

I'm going to get one eventually.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/SEI_M14_USCG_MB-1.mpg

Naahh. I'm afraid to be tested remember.

Oh I remember and match results show it. ;)B)

That said, are there any noted M1A 'smiths out there? I was playing around with a National Match version today and got curious. I'd probably swap out a bare bones one with at least a McMillan stock and then throw some glass on it. Great option for HM unless I build up the LR-308 I picked up last week.

Rich