Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Are Shotguns So Expensive?

Matt Griffin

A big difference between Browning and a lot of shotguns is the warranty.

Your Grandfather could have bought the Browning and shot the wheels off of it given it to your father he puts many, many rounds through it, he gives it to you and you put many, many rounds through it, you sell it (that would make you a jerk) and the guy that owns it now can still get it fixed under warranty.

You won't get that with a Berreta.

• 4 months later...

It's been my observation, that it's maybe 5-10% performance, and 90-95% presteige.

I have a Remington 1100 I paid $350 for used, an SKB-685 I paid $1400 for, and a Browning 525 Sporting with select wood and an adjustable comb, that set me back three grand, plus another $1500 for a Briley tube set. Each of them fits me well, and each of them has never failed. I can score just as well with the Remington, as I can either of the double guns, but ask me how much I've shot the other two, since I bought the Browning..... very little.

I see much the same thing with IDPA/USPSA. I see a lot of C and D class shooters sporting $3-5K, S_I raceguns. Myself, I was content for years going to the range once or twice a month and shooting 50-100rnds with my Colt Goldcup, I started shooting USPSA, now I own two Dillon presses and am burning at least 1000rnds/month. Within the first six months I bought a used Caspian open gun. I've just barely started to get used to it, and get everything running reliably, and I'm already surfing the net, drooling over new Bedell's and Limcats!

One of my mentors just advised me, there will always be something better that you'll want, and to set obtaining one as a reward for achieving a goal. In the mean time, spend all my money on reloading components and direct all my energy toward practice, and shooting the shit out of what I have, once I reach my goal (Making B class). Then I can reward myself by selling whatever I have to, buying whatever's the latest/greatest, and not have to feel guilty about it!

That's my $0.02 worth!

JDBraddy

I know this probably sounds like I'm trolling this forum, but I really don't understand how O/U shotguns have gotten so expensive.

I can appreciate things like scrollwork and inlay, and a nice stock vs. a synthetic. But for the life of me, I can't see how you can go from 500$ for a smoothbore gun to 5000$, when the 500$ gun seems to be flawless in function and fit.

What is the difference between, say, a Ruger Red Label and a top-end Beretta?

H.

The biggest difference to me between Browning and Beretta is the size of the receiver. The Browning in large and boxy as opposed to the Beretta which is slimmer because of the way the action locks up. If a Browning gets loose you must send it to the factory to be refurbished. The Beretta has replacable pinions and shoulders that will instantly tighten the action. Brownings are made in Japan, Beretta is made in Italy by the oldest gunmaker in the world. If you have a 682 series gun and you want a set of 20ga barrels you can buy a set and they will fit. Browning barrels must be made at the same time as the receiver. This is kind of a moot point with Briley tubes being as well made as they are. Shoot both of the guns and find the one that fits YOU. I am a A class shooter in skeet and my scores went up when I switched from Browning to Beretta because the receiver was slimmer and the gun fit me better. Picking a shotgun is a very personal experience and you need to have one fitted like a suit for serious competetive shooting

When I first started shooting skeet I bought a Browning Citori and had a set of skeetmaster tubes built for it. When I started the browning was very tight but after one season of practice and registered targets it was almost worn out. I was lucky and my house was broken into and the gun was stolen. I took the money and bought a Beretta 682 with a set of Briley tubes and it is as tight as the day I bought it 19 years ago. There is a difference.

When I first started shooting skeet I bought a Browning Citori and had a set of skeetmaster tubes built for it. When I started the browning was very tight but after one season of practice and registered targets it was almost worn out. I was lucky and my house was broken into and the gun was stolen. I took the money and bought a Beretta 682 with a set of Briley tubes and it is as tight as the day I bought it 19 years ago. There is a difference.

Too, I guess it somewhat depends on the demands of your shooting, and your opportunities. As kids, we're often told we can do/be anything we want. For most of us, this is simply not true. I'm not poor, I have a college degree, live in a house twice the size of the one my parents lived in, that will be paid for in another five years or so, and drive a reliable used car. I shoot maybe 400rns/month shotgun, and another 1000rns/month pistol. I just turned 40, work full time, and can barely afford reloading components to load for what little I do shoot, wich to me seems like a lot, but I meet folks all the time that claim to shoot five times what I do. For them, it's nothing to take a week or two off from work to travel across the country in a Winebego that costs as much as my house, to shoot in several big matches a year. Personally, It dumbfounds me, how they can afford such a lifestyle, and still find the time, to live it! If I had the choice, or the ability, I'd probably order a K-80, and do the same, but such a lifestyle simply isn't a possible option for me, nor is it for most people I know.

Edited by JDBraddy

It's not an option for a lot of people.

Remember, the high end guns are very durable, so are Browning and Beretta by the way, so a "lot" of people shooting them bought them at much cheaper prices...many are bought used. You can buy certain high end shotguns used in the $3,000-$6500 range, and they look almost the same as new ones in the $8500-$10,000 range.

Still, a lot of money. But, if you really want one, they can be "had" if you look around long enough and "stretch" a bit. I'm not "promoting" that idea, meaning are they "worth it", simply there are cheaper ways to get there if you wish.

Edited by Irishlad

I have been shooting Skeet since 1977, and during that time I have owned a wide varity of shotguns. I have had Browning's, Winchesters, Remingtons, and Beretta's. All of them had a relatively short life span (normally a couple seasons), or just didn't shoot well for me. The only one I still have and use regularly is a Kreighof that I bought used in 1981. I spent a lot for it, spent even more on having a custom fit stock made for it. It currently has at least a 75,000 rounds thru it and still functions perfectly. Other then a couple of springs and other minor things needing to be replaced, it has never let me down. Quality is expensive, but if you pass over the flash, it can be affordable, and it's nice to know that it will be the only o/u I (or my children) will need to buy............