Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Achievement In Multiple Divisions

38superman

I often hear shooters say you are better off to pick a gun and a division and stick with it.

I wonder if the multiple GM's and Masters got there by sticking with a division and then branching out after they made it to the top.

Perhaps they bounced around and tried to advance their skills across mulitple platforms until they were proficient with them all.

Does proficiency in one division automatically create proficiency in another?

The rules would seem to support that theory since advancment in one division drags your classification up in others.

I shoot primarily in Limited and Lim 10.

No big deal to switch back and forth there since I can shoot either one with the same gun and holster.

I am getting ready to broaden my horizons and step into Open but I can't help but wonder if this is a mistake.

This begs the question:

If being competitive in multiple divisions is your long term goal, are you hurting or helping your cause by "division jumping"?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

IMHO, I think is good only after you have reached a certain level. Once you have learned the basics it can enhance things to switch. But I would only switch if I could dedicate several months to one gun at a time.

As I mentioned in another thread, I switched from Limited and L-10 to production recently. This has forced me to slow down and shoot only A's. I think it's making me a better shooter but I will let you know later. But then again, I shoot a Glock so it's the same gun for all three divisions.

Joe

I believe changing guns or gun platforms screws with me but divisions never seem to bother me. I love Limited but I also love breaking down a stage in SS. Shooting different guns with different poa's and triggers affects me negatively if I try it on a regular basis. That's just me though. I know a guy or two that are unaffected by changing guns or divisions.

Tony,

As one of those "Multiple Division shooters" I will give you my thoughts on this.

Your personal goals will generally guide you where you want to go.

I started in limited and zoomed to A class in about a year and a half(well satisfied with my progress at the time). I then went to Revolver until fairly recently when a hand injury and burnout played a major part in my shooting "Life".

All in all.........shooting in different division has its good points and bad. the biggest bad is you will take longer to get profficient at all of them, but it can be done.

I personally recomend holding off OPEN until you are quite satisfied with shooting the other divisions (You know where that point is......not anyone else) Open guns do teach you good things about shooting no doubt but I think they also are so specialized they can weaken the skills unless you really stay on top of them.

Yes there are good examples of multi division shooters that are quite talented in many divisions.............some names that come to mind............

Manny Bragg, TGO, Dave Sevigney, Chris Tilley, Max Michell, Travis Tomasie......I think you get my drift.

It all boils down to your own goals...........If you want to, go ahead......that is part of the great challenge of shooting.

I do recomend shooting a Revolver competitively in USPSA, IDPA, ICORE as it will teach you so much about Shot management, course of fire management and plain ole Sight management. I helped me more than I ever thought it would with shooting the other divisions.

Good luck, Have fun.........That is really why most of us do this shooting thing! ;)

Hopalong/Sam

Tony,

As one of those "Multiple Division shooters" I will give you my thoughts on this.

Your personal goals will generally guide you where you want to go.

I started in limited and zoomed to A class in about a year and a half(well satisfied with my progress at the time). I then went to Revolver until fairly recently when a hand injury and burnout played a major part in my shooting "Life".

All in all.........shooting in different division has its good points and bad. the biggest bad is you will take longer to get profficient at all of them, but it can be done.

I personally recomend holding off OPEN until you are quite satisfied with shooting the other divisions (You know where that point is......not anyone else) Open guns do teach you good things about shooting no doubt but I think they also are so specialized they can weaken the skills unless you really stay on top of them.

Yes there are good examples of multi division shooters that are quite talented in many divisions.............some names that come to mind............

Manny Bragg, TGO, Dave Sevigney, Chris Tilley, Max Michell, Travis Tomasie......I think you get my drift.

It all boils down to your own goals...........If you want to, go ahead......that is part of the great challenge of shooting.

I do recomend shooting a Revolver competitively in USPSA, IDPA, ICORE as it will teach you so much about Shot management, course of fire management and plain ole Sight management. I helped me more than I ever thought it would with shooting the other divisions.

Good luck, Have fun.........That is really why most of us do this shooting thing! ;)

Hopalong/Sam

Excellent post Sam! It truely is all about your own goals and what you want out of your shooting.

I shoot both Production and L-10 on about a 50/50 basis. Since both Divisions are limited to ten rounds, the stage breakdown and strategy is the same for both. The only caveat is that Alphas are much more important in Production due to the Minor scoring.

I like both and routinely shoot one the first match of the month and the other a week later. My XD-9 is not very similar to my 1911 although the grip angles are about the same. It does make me adjust for different guns but I have swithched so many times the adjustiment is pretty quick for me.

Would I improve faster if I stuck with just one? Probably but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun and that is what is the most important to me.

Now if I could just remember which one I signed up for at the Florida Open!