Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Vs Jp Fc Group

gose

I like the Timney in my bolt rifle, but would NEVER choose one over a JP system for an AR PERIOD

I am a firm believer in the full gunsmith-install JP kit versus the drop-in modules. There is no substitute for the hammer and trigger riding on "punch fit" pins that ride IN the receiver metal. This results in less slop in these parts movement. JMHO, but one a number of folks share.

I just got to ask; how many of you naysayers have actually TRIED the new Timney trigger? Yeah, I know all about JP's trigger, I use one every time I shoot my AR but there are experienced people out there that REALLY like this new Timney. Paul over at MSTN for one.

I know and like the JP, but I can't wait to look at and try the Timney.

Ed

I had a chance to try a Timney trigger at the last gunshow and I was very impressed but I never tried a JP so I can't compare the two. It is said to have a 3 lb pull (but feels less) and has a very short reset. There is almost no rear movement before it releases the hammer. It only comes in single stage. The nice thing about the Timney is that it uses standard pins and has set pins to keep the unit snug in the receiver and the price is right. It is not adjustable but it felt good out of the box. I wonder how it will hold up in time. I'd be worried about accidentally bouncing the trigger while shooting on the move.

The JP trigger will also use standard pins or anti-walk pins. It comes fromthe factory set for take up and over travel. I believe John said it is also set at a 3.5# (I may be wrong there).....however the trigger is user adjustable for weight of pull.

$.02 from someone who has all of these and more.

JP triggers are very nice when installed correctly. A lot of folks install them and some get it right. John and Co. do a great job of it and if that is what you want, get them, or someone with the same patience and attention to detail to do it for you.

Drop-ins... The JP drop-ins I have used were not quite as good as the original JP, but still good. The CMC drop-ins are good triggers, especially the two-stage. A number of the single stage ones have had doubling issues, CMC has replaced them. Culprit was/is purported to be out of spec disconnector springs. I have heard that JP experienced some of this too, but have not seen theirs do it personally. When the CMCs go it is almost like a 3-shot cam, except you get 2, then 3, the 1, then 2, etc. Kind of a variable burst f/a cam.

As to the Timney, they have been in the AR trigger business for all of a month. Probably too soon to determine if they "support our sport". Will they hold up? Given Timney's longterm reputation, good chance they will. We are normally cautious about promotion of new stuff we haven't fully wrung out. To date, I have nearly 2000 rounds on one of these and another 400 or so on another. As in all things, time will tell.

Observations:

The pull weight is very consistent. Both started at 2# 12 oz. After 50 rounds or so they settled into 2# 9-10 oz. and have stayed there since. Overtravel is minimal, just enough to be reliable, and reset is short and positive. The break is crisp and typical of a good single stage. Install is very easy, total time if you are used to seetting up AR triggers is under two minutes. One thing I really like about them is that there are not many nooks and crannies for debris to get under things and stop them from functioning.

The other thing that sets these apart from others is the tensioning screws that hold the assembly in place. Therre are two set screws that tighten against the bottom of the well in the lower receiver. These serve to hold the housing securely with tension against both the lower and the hammer and trigger pins. Once in place, the pins can't walk or rotate, and no special retainers are necessary. My sense is that this is one of the reasons that the pull weights are so consistent, shot to shot. Measuring with a digital trigger scale the variance is less that 2/10s of an ounce over 10 tests.

I would not put this into a gun that was ever to be used for any serious social work. The pull is too light, just like a competition JP is too light. If you are the cautious kind, and don't need a trigger immediately, wait a few months and see how these review. My guess is they will get high marks, and not needing to send your lower off is a big plus too.