Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape On Production Xd

Interceptor

Greg,

While I don't really disagree with you...

Couldn't it also be part of the grip?

Take a magwell, for instance. It serves as a funnel for the mags. It also adds weight to the gun, and it works as a pommel to help the shooter lock their grip into the gun. One part...with more than one function.

If you were working as a Range Officer, would you bump a shooter from Production to Open division for grip tape on their trigger guard?

How many aftermarket "grips" come with a new trigger guard?

This thread is getting closed because this forum is for helping each other out and answering questions.

We've had far too much "soapboxing" lately.

Interceptor, let me know what you hear back from NROI...we can open this back up then.

CLOSED (for now)

• 9 months later...

I grabbed John Amidon aside at the LPR Nationals a couple days ago and asked him about this issue.

He told me that grip tape on the Bottom and Front of the triggerguard is specifically NOT allowed. He went on to explain that the grip tape is only allowed on the area of the grip to include the backstrap, frontstrap and side panels. Any where else would be illegal including the frame directly above the trigger. He described it as if you pulled a tube of grip tape onto the grip, that would be the only legal areas.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Edited by Interceptor

A friend of mine was bumped to limited from production for having the grip tape on the non ejection port side, on the frame ahead of the trigger guard.

I was rather bummed out because I was the guy that put it there 2 years ago. Funny thing is, he never used that as a thumb rest!

Anyway, when John came over to bump him up to limited, I talked with him about what the previous poster had said.

I wanted to add, John said the 2008 rule book will have a drawing of where it is ok to install grip tape, and where it isn't.

I guess this happened to many people at this particular national event.

A friend of mine was bumped to limited from production for having the grip tape on the non ejection port side, on the frame ahead of the trigger guard.

I was rather bummed out because I was the guy that put it there 2 years ago. Funny thing is, he never used that as a thumb rest!

Anyway, when John came over to bump him up to limited, I talked with him about what the previous poster had said.

I wanted to add, John said the 2008 rule book will have a drawing of where it is ok to install grip tape, and where it isn't.

I guess this happened to many people at this particular national event.

To limited and not open?

I grabbed John Amidon aside at the LPR Nationals a couple days ago and asked him about this issue.

He told me that grip tape on the Bottom and Front of the triggerguard is specifically NOT allowed. He went on to explain that the grip tape is only allowed on the area of the grip to include the backstrap, frontstrap and side panels. Any where else would be illegal including the frame directly above the trigger. He described it as if you pulled a tube of grip tape onto the grip, that would be the only legal areas.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

I take it this is beginning in 1-1-08 or whenever it is the new rules get implemented?