Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer Or Kimber 1911 9mm?

John K

I am not trying to start the Kimber vs Springer debate.

I have found Kimber 45 triggers to be better out of the box.

Here is my situation.

I want a 1911, but am too cheap to feed a 45. I have a G 17 and a CZ 75 pre-B, both I shoot in IDPA. I would like to get another pistol and am considering a 1911 9mm.

THe springer is less expensive,and comes with a second magazine.

The Kimber appears to be fine pistol as well.

Are there issues particular to these manufactuers 9mm's that can help me make my decision?

I live in CA so I do not have all the purchase options as some do, so my choices are limited.

Can you guys nudge me in the right direction?

John

I've rebuilt a few Springfield 9's lately and the need some basic work but are pretty nice. Fire controls could use replacing in BOTH IMO. My last name is Springer so I might be partial to Springfield ;)

I have a Springfield 9mm that will be headed to CA soon and just sent a Kimber .45 down there last month. The Kimber was fine after refitting the fire control parts and reworking the internals.

I am yet to see a SA 9mm that grouped well. I am yet to see a Kimber 9mm that did not group well. A .45 1911 is just as cheap to feed as a 9mm if you reload. I always figure brass is free for the picking up. A lead 200 gr SWC costs me $26 per thousand. Lead 9mm bullets are less expensive, but shooting lead 9mm or .40 is not very practical in a match. They both smoke a lot more that the .45 does. Plated or jacketed 9mm bullets will cost twice as much as the lead .45 bullets.

I have worked on hundreds of 1911s. I am yet to see a SA with a properly fitted barrel. Kimber OTOH has figured out how to lock up the barrel in a mass produced gun.

Another Kimber plus is the 9mm and .40 have the same size breech face. Buy a 9mm and fit a .40 barrel. Now you can shoot two different calibers with the same gun.

The only thing I don't like about the Kimber is the grip safety. Does not bother most folks. The SA has their funky safety system that must be tossed.

As bgary advised the STI Trojan might be your best choice if you can get it in CA. I guess you may have less than a month if I understand CA new law regarding magazine disconnectors to take effect in 2007. The Trojan doesn't have Kimber's Safety II which causes problems for many and is better built than Springfield. I do recommend the Springfield 9MM Magazines from Metalform.

Edited by Gary1911A1

STI's are only possible in California if you can find a private party that already owns one and will part with it :(

Split the difference..

You can also look into a 40S&W. It can shoot major or minor. If you reload, bullets are normally cheaper than 45, but more than 9MM.

But, you'll have a bigger problem.. there's no 40 single stack (last time I checked) that you can buy from an FFL in California. I bought the Kimber 10MM and had the barrel changed out.. (Extractor, Ejector are good to go). The Series 80 safety is easily removed.

Joe D - good suggestion on the 9MM - is the Ejector and Extractor the same?

In spite of what some of the other posts indicated---- the 9 mm Springer 1911s are VERY popular in this part of the country... mainly for IDPA in the ESP division.

While some posters said they won't group..... that has not been my experience. Mine has burned through cases of Winchester white box and shoots great.

The only customization I have done is adding a Dawson FO front sight and a Hogue rubber grip.

BTW TGOs bride Kippi manages to place very high every year at the Single Stack classic with a 9 mm springer.... even though she shoots minor.

I have a Springer 9mm as well. Shoots better than I can. Only thing I changed was I added a 9lb recoil spring. 2nd the Mag recommendation above. It eats WWB like crazy. The only time I reload is when shooting steel.

Joe D,

How do you like the STI Trojan compared to the Kimber? In particular the barrel/slide/frame fit. I've been eyeing the Trojan for some time and am impressed by the fit of the ones I've seen (plus reports), but am no expert, and I respect your appearent knowledge.

Eager, I would rate them about equal. They each have + and - issues. If given a choice I will always take forged parts (Kimber) over cast (STI). Some folks don't like the grip safety on Kimbers. Some of my Kimbers still have them others I have replaced. STI has a '70 Series safety system. Kimber uses one activated by the grip safety. Can't recall the name of it - Swartz maybe. Not a big deal anyway. I would rate the barrel fit equal.

Given a choice I would choose Kimber, but the STI is a good gun also. Either is a much better choice than the SA.

Lee, I guess I should stop telling folks about these low prices. I buy from Valiant Bullets in Bynum, Al. They don't ship. They will deliver within a reasonable distance if the order is large enough. I pick them up when I go to Atlanta.

Edited by Joe D

Thanks Joe. I wish I'd not sold off my Kimber series I :( boo hoo.

Aye gots ta git me wunna dem dare Trojans someday. I sure like the look of the fit, the features and US made (well Texas anyway) to boot.

Lee, I guess I should stop telling folks about these low prices. I buy from Valiant Bullets in Bynum, Al. They don't ship. They will deliver within a reasonable distance if the order is large enough. I pick them up when I go to Atlanta.

Nah, keep posting them. Maybe others will get the idea and the cost of reloading will come down for all of us.

I'm in Davie, just outside of Ft. Lauderdale, and I'm having problems finding reloading supplies at any cost, let alone cheap. Two days ago, I bought the last 500 200 grain LSWC 45s I could locate and am now looking for an inexpensive place to get more, or better yet, 185 grain LSWC or button nose bullets. I picked up a used bullseye gun a couple of weeks ago and wants bullseye type rounds. If I were to load the bullets I use for combat competition, it's useful life would end soon after.

Part of the problem is knowing the quality of what I use. So far, I've been using Zero bullets. I've not had a quality issue with them so far. I've tracked down some less expensive options, but none locally. Guess I'll have to buy and see instead of the other way around.

I think there's a gun show coming up soon. Perhaps I'll get lucky there.

Lee