Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Rear Sight Pin

unclez

The front pin on my rear STI sight keeps backing out after 200 or 300 rds. Luckily I saw it the first time before it fell all the way out and I pushed it back in. Well like I said, it's doing it every 200rds or so and I'm tired of having to keep check on it. Was thinking about staking it back in but wanted to hear some other options from you guys first.

Zack

It's not broken. I can pull on the end that walks out and see the other end pulling towards it. I've seen the decapping pin trick but would like to keep the original as long as it's still in one piece.

Zack

I had the same thing happen on my newly acquired STI Edge. I took a very thin drop of green penetrating Loc-tite and applied it to one side of the sight and then started working the sight hinge back and forth (removed the adjustment screw prior to doing this). The loc-tite did the trick. The pin doesn't drift at all now yet the sight is still free to move.

try using a automatic center punch and flare one or both ends of the pin SLIGHTLY. If you flare the pin out too much, it may get stuck in there and you won't be able to get it out if you ever need to replace the pin. Don't stake the sight itself. Replacing a pin will be cheaper than a sight. Come to think of it, most of my repair suggestions involves center punches :blink: .........

Edited by yoshidaex

Punch, allen key, drill bit, anything but the orginial pin will work. You may want to keep it, but it will just fail you in a match. Find something that fits snuggly, use a bit of lock tite and you're good almost forever.

The front pin on my rear STI sight keeps backing out after 200 or 300 rds. Luckily I saw it the first time before it fell all the way out and I pushed it back in. Well like I said, it's doing it every 200rds or so and I'm tired of having to keep check on it. Was thinking about staking it back in but wanted to hear some other options from you guys first.

Zack

Sell it to Matt Cheely for when he shoots against Open guns. Haha Matt :lol::ph34r:

Seriously any suggestion will work but I would replace it. I have seen a drill bit more often used

The last time that happened I used a decapping pin to replace it. The original pin is probably broken in two pieces.

Hate to sound like a newb, but can anyone tell me what a "decapping pin" is, sounds like something I should have in my tool box, just in case!

The last time that happened I used a decapping pin to replace it. The original pin is probably broken in two pieces.

Hate to sound like a newb, but can anyone tell me what a "decapping pin" is, sounds like something I should have in my tool box, just in case!

Its on a reloader. The sizing die has a pin in the center that "decaps" or pushes the used primer out