Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Practice Video

Supermoto

draw could be faster. Footwork could be a little more explosive. Reload needs to be done within one to two steps after leaving position. This all depends on your current classification. Just looking at your shooting, looks as if you were taking your time and getting your hits which is good.

draw could be faster. Footwork could be a little more explosive. Reload needs to be done within one to two steps after leaving position. This all depends on your current classification. Just looking at your shooting, looks as if you were taking your time and getting your hits which is good.

the draw is definitely something I need to improve. didn't realize how slow my left hand moved. I'll work on the reload also

Moving fast is difficult indoors because the floor was slippery, but getting into a stable platform would be a good idea

I always trying to get good hit, but I don't feel like I was taking my time. I guess I'm just slow

:)

Currently ranked at 69% for L-10

Keep the tips coming

Thanks

Mike

Draw - You're looking nice and smooth, now keep that but ignore the right hand and slap your left hand to your belly as fast as you can, you'll get simpathetic movement from your right hand.

Reload - Keep the gun up in front of your face. Slap the left hand down to the mag, point your finger at the magwell and insert.

+1 on the footwork. You need to be stable or you're not shooting as fast as you could be.

++1 on all above. I would add while you need to be able to shoot with your feet close together(some stages require it) but spreading to shoulder width apart with strong foot a little behind the other is usually the fastest and the best way. Your gun seems to have a little more movement than necessary so investigate left hand grip tension and angle. Most gains will be from working on your draw and reload. Its takes doing everything well to be an M and that's where most perspectives are given from. Other than that you look like a good B shooter. Duh that's where you are. A class is only a second or 2 away.

On that target array a cadence type of drill run a couple times in a row then moving to the rear and rerun, might open up a breakthrough. The timer should be checked for every split in cadence drills to "really" see what is fast.

++1 on all above. I would add while you need to be able to shoot with your feet close together(some stages require it) but spreading to shoulder width apart with strong foot a little behind the other is usually the fastest and the best way. Your gun seems to have a little more movement than necessary so investigate left hand grip tension and angle. Most gains will be from working on your draw and reload. Its takes doing everything well to be an M and that's where most perspectives are given from. Other than that you look like a good B shooter. Duh that's where you are. A class is only a second or 2 away.

On that target array a cadence type of drill run a couple times in a row then moving to the rear and rerun, might open up a breakthrough. The timer should be checked for every split in cadence drills to "really" see what is fast.

Coming up the the sawhorse barricade, should I have changed my stride so that I would stop with me left foot forward instead of my right?, my natural stride had me stopping with the right foot forward

Coming up the the sawhorse barricade, should I have changed my stride so that I would stop with me left foot forward instead of my right?, my natural stride had me stopping with the right foot forward

I'd want to step in with my right foot first and follow with the left foot falling into a solid stance. Max would call it a "hard entrance". You are totally stopping your momentum for the position.

Also notice when you are moving to position 3, you aren't running, you want to be there NOW, so get your butt in gear ;)

I meant at the start. I think you should always "try" to get into your best stance if there is no compromises.

Entering a box is a different story. I think getting low, getting to the shooting asap, and keeping the gun high going to the box is what is important. Practice entering a box with a timer. Don't get hung up on left/right because you need to master both.

Did you break your magazine on the 2nd change? I thought I saw a long spring pop out and there was a non-brass sound accompanying.

You had really good cadence in your splits and transitions, they sounded almost the same. On the 2nd array, your splits and transitions were more of a pop-pop-pause-pop-pop-pause, etc... so you can work on evening that out. I'm not sure why you changed your cadence on that array, the 1st and 3rd positions sounded good. Once you have an even cadence, you can practice speeding that cadence up.

Did you break your magazine on the 2nd change? I thought I saw a long spring pop out and there was a non-brass sound accompanying.

You had really good cadence in your splits and transitions, they sounded almost the same. On the 2nd array, your splits and transitions were more of a pop-pop-pause-pop-pop-pause, etc... so you can work on evening that out. I'm not sure why you changed your cadence on that array, the 1st and 3rd positions sounded good. Once you have an even cadence, you can practice speeding that cadence up.

Yeah the mag broke, the 2nd array was slower because of the no-shoots... I had a bad matched that I totaled up 70 penalty points :o because I was just hitting the perforations on the no-shoot, so I slow down a bit now. I am slowly working that back up to speed

Don't look at the no shoots, there is full scoring zones on the targets. To hit a noshoot would be equivalent to missing altogether. Look to the positive (targets) not the negative (noshoots)

Not having both feet on the floor will also slow down your aquisitions, it's harder to pivot controllably on one foot...try it.

Look at how you leave the second position, the extra footwork is also related to the second foot not being planted.

As with all new shooters, there are many parts of your game that could use work. Your quickest gains will come from actually bursting and sprinting between positions. then planting in the position which you have to shoot from. As posted your weight was up pretty high and you were off balance for no reason in the second position. all of your movements, draws, reloads and leaving positions you need to EXPLODE from them.

in doors use plain old basketball shoes make sure they adn the floor are clean for best traction.

Happy shooting!

Man I wish I had a camera, they're great for breaking the stage down.

OK, first if the floors have good traction, you should haul butt between arrays. You're moving fairly conservatively, RUN FOREST RUN!

Second thing, you took an extra mag change. I believe you're shooting Lim-10 right? So as I look at that stage, you're more or less compelled to make a standing mag change between the 3rd and 4th array. In that case I think it would have been quicker to engage the 3 targets in the 2nd array, and then 2 of the targets in the 3rd array, mag change, 1 target in 3rd array, and then finish up with the 4th array. The extra mag change, although on the move, probably cost you 1-1.5 seconds.

Again, I gotta get me a camera. :D

Man I wish I had a camera, they're great for breaking the stage down.

OK, first if the floors have good traction, you should haul butt between arrays. You're moving fairly conservatively, RUN FOREST RUN!

Second thing, you took an extra mag change. I believe you're shooting Lim-10 right? So as I look at that stage, you're more or less compelled to make a standing mag change between the 3rd and 4th array. In that case I think it would have been quicker to engage the 3 targets in the 2nd array, and then 2 of the targets in the 3rd array, mag change, 1 target in 3rd array, and then finish up with the 4th array. The extra mag change, although on the move, probably cost you 1-1.5 seconds.

Again, I gotta get me a camera. :D

The floor is slippery, so running and more importantly, stopping is done carefully. not gonna take a digger on concrete :blink:

That is a good break down of the stage. One of the habits I have gotten into is if I am moving I'm reloading. This may of been a case where it wasn't best

The camera definately has been an eye opener, so far it has been the best investment towards becoming better

The floor is slippery, so running and more importantly, stopping is done carefully. not gonna take a digger on concrete :blink:

I kind of thought that might be the case, painted concrete can be slick. I bet you can speed up your lateral movements though, without even risking a 'yard sale'. When you move laterally, you can do the "Risky Business" slide to slow down to a stop.

This might not be possible due the stage instructions, but was there an angle over to the right that you could engage arrays 2 and 3 from? I couldn't be sure looking at the video. If so, I would've traded the longer shots for a more direct route to array 4.

Oh, one last point. Your transitions slow down on the closer arrays. Why do you think that's happening? I don't know what your hits were like on array 1, but you had a good cadence. The cadence gets worse as you close distance.

Edited by ihatepickles

I kind of thought that might be the case, painted concrete can be slick. I bet you can speed up your lateral movements though, without even risking a 'yard sale'. When you move laterally, you can do the "Risky Business" slide to slow down to a stop.

This might not be possible due the stage instructions, but was there an angle over to the right that you could engage arrays 2 and 3 from? I couldn't be sure looking at the video. If so, I would've traded the longer shots for a more direct route to array 4.

Oh, one last point. Your transitions slow down on the closer arrays. Why do you think that's happening? I don't know what your hits were like on array 1, but you had a good cadence. The cadence gets worse as you close distance.

There wasn't an area that you could get array 2 without going all the way down. one of the targets was tucked behind the orange wall.

The cadence thing is interesting. It maybe that I focus on the targets at that range and not the sights, I think I might be confirming my hits by looking at the target after the shot breaks. I'll add that to my list to work on :)

Looked like from position one to position two after the reload you reaquired a two handed grip while running? Can't be sure from the camera angle, but if you did, it probably didn't help, you will sprint faster if you drop the hand from the gun and it can help by sweeping stuff out of the way, like the curtain you had to go around.