Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Converted To .45?

RAZZ

I recall a thread a while back discussing converting a .40 cal slide to shoot 9mm. I was wondering, can a .40 cal slide breach face be opened up properly to convert it to a .45?--And I understand that there would be more "stuff" that needs to be changed. Thanks in advance.

It's not a fun cut, and the rest of the holes might not be in the right places (ejector, firing pin, etc), but technically I suppose it's possible, depending on the pistol design and budget available.

Razz,

The important part is that the breechface is opened up to the proper dimensions and that is about it. You will need the .45 extractor too.

I have an SV that is fitted for 9mm and .45 (interchangeable breechface) and they both work fine with the 9mm ejector. The ejector is closer to the primer than what a normal .45 would be but it is not a major problem if you are careful. Don't bother going through the effort to replace the ejector and additional machine work on the slide.

Leo

Just so people don't get confused, Leo, the information you give here is specific to the SV system. In a standard 1911, the .45 and 9mm/.38/.40 ejector tracks are placed completely differently, and you cannot use the same ejector for both.

For example, I built up a Limited gun with two top-ends, one in 9mm and one in .40, which easily interchange simply by pulling the slide stop. In order to put a .45 top-end on the gun, however, I would have to replace the ejector with a .45 ejector.

• 2 weeks later...
Just so people don't get confused, Leo, the information you give here is specific to the SV system. In a standard 1911, the .45 and 9mm/.38/.40 ejector tracks are placed completely differently, and you cannot use the same ejector for both.

For example, I built up a Limited gun with two top-ends, one in 9mm and one in .40, which easily interchange simply by pulling the slide stop. In order to put a .45 top-end on the gun, however, I would have to replace the ejector with a .45 ejector.

So, looks like my question may have been answered here. I am contemplating building a 9mm top end for my Para P16 .40. So from what I am reading all I need to do is buy/fit the slide and fit the barrel? Much cheaper than buying a new gun just for outlaw 3 gun world.

The original question was, if he were to open the .40 breechface to accept a .45 case, what other modifications would be necessary to shoot .45. What I was trying to relay is that he would NOT need to machine the slide to accept the .45 ejector as the .40 ejector would work fine with the .45. I never insinuated that all calibers of slide could use the same ejector, just that you could use whatever ejector your currrent slide would accept with reasonable results.

Leo

Archived