Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being An Equipment Weakling

boo radley

I hate that I keep selling things then wish I hadn't.

I hate that I sold all my Glock limited stuff -- basepads, holster, etc, -- anticipating a new 2011 LTD gun which is presumably being built. In the meantime, I figured I'd shoot a 1911 in L-10...Well, I have, and I'm not shooting it worth a sh*t, plus running into FTF and magazine problems. <fume> I just shoot the Glock better. Will that change? Maybe, but already, even without the new LTD gun, there's no joy in the switch.

The thing is, I'm not one of these folks that has 20 different Open guns, or has to buy the latest "sight-zapper" technology, or whatever. I try to sell whatever I'm not using to fund the current purchase. But it's getting ridiculous -- need to pick a platform and stay with it.

Wait it out, most people like shooting a S_I B)

I call them gay...not that there is anything wrong with that. :lol::lol:

I'm sure he means to use 'gay' in the dictionary sense: ;)

–adjective

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

—Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

I hate that I keep selling things then wish I hadn't.

I hate that I sold all my Glock limited stuff -- basepads, holster, etc, -- anticipating a new 2011 LTD gun which is presumably being built. In the meantime, I figured I'd shoot a 1911 in L-10...Well, I have, and I'm not shooting it worth a sh*t, plus running into FTF and magazine problems. <fume> I just shoot the Glock better. Will that change? Maybe, but already, even without the new LTD gun, there's no joy in the switch.

The thing is, I'm not one of these folks that has 20 different Open guns, or has to buy the latest "sight-zapper" technology, or whatever. I try to sell whatever I'm not using to fund the current purchase. But it's getting ridiculous -- need to pick a platform and stay with it.

When I was young, my dad advised me to never sell any of my guns. I became an adult, accumulated some guns, then figured that "Pops advice doesn't fit my situation" and sold some anyway. I sold guns because I wanted other guns/toys or needed the money. I have regretted most of those sales. I will not sell any more unless there is some dire financial need.

Lots of story behind Dad's advice... I shoulda listened and heeded...

A comment only a mod can pull off....however much I may agree :)

Seriously though, I certainly feel your pain. It's difficult though to hold on to things when they can buy you others.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

"...It's difficult though to hold on to things when they can buy you others."
Yeh, I just recently did that--sold one 1911 to get another. Ouch. But just couldn't keep BOTH and still pay the rent.

But, boy, I saw this higher-end Sig today that made me seriously drool out of everywhere... damn. :P:rolleyes:

I can understand selling a gun or gear to finance an STI. S_i's are investments. most other pistols out there wont fetch what a used S_i goes for. (at least thats what I tell my girlfriend)

I have yet to sell any of my pistols. I have 2 kimbers/2 SA 1911's, 3 2011's, :wacko: HK USP Expert, Baby eagle compact, and a Para P-16 for semi autos, and S&W models 29, 57, and a 66. planning on a .460 for some boom boom.. oh yeah, forgot about my .22's... NOT sellin.. I do have a Browning O/U shotgun for sale though... I dont want to look at it! I'm officially done with skeet! messes with my pistol game. :blink:

I've sold a lot of crappy "impulse buy" type guns and was glad to get rid of them.

I've regretted selling a few, but in reality I only sold them because I didn't really "need" them, so I'll get over it. I will admit not getting over the sale of my .44 Super Blackhawk and .44 Marlin, but in reality I don't have a use for them and still wouldn't have shot them.

My biggest problem is selling my "car gun" repeatedly. Seems like whatever makes it into my car has a short life. Now I've got a early 60s vintage chiefs special that I'm going to keep.

The question is not how many guns you've regretted selling, it's how many you've replaced due to this regret. So far I've only replaced a Mossberg pump 12 ga that I have no idea why I sold it. Replaced it within 2 months. Cheap lesson though and I didn't lose any money.

Yea but I have caught you looking at mine.

Maybe you are a S_I shooter in the closet. :lol:

PS I have regreted selling a gun but my sales are to finance my shooting.

Edited by BSeevers

Seriously though, I certainly feel your pain. It's difficult though to hold on to things when they can buy you others.

It's complex. At the core is needing to reconcile a desire for shiny new things with the baggage a change entails -- learning a new system, ironing out functional bugs, etc.

The "hate" part comes into play because I realize how much rationalization is going on, and that I commit myself prematurely by selling off the old gear. What I want is immediate affirmation that the change is "good", by shooting a great match first time out with a new gun, for example. Doesn't seem to happen to me. :)

As a dealer I'm glad a lot of people are constantly buying new guns and selling old ones. Reminds me of old girlfriend that had every closet in my house full of her cloths. Yet every week she came home with something new, now they were all bargains, on sale, second hand shop, traded etc. And yes she looked wonderful in all of them, she was a ballerina. She change her outfit at least four times everyday, spent evenings coordinating outfits to go with her mood, weather, cycles of moon.

However when ever she asked me what I wanted her to dress in to go out I had two choices, tight jeans with worn out butt and sweater, or the little black dress. Both were like unwrapping new Xmas presents to me.

So as you can imagine I've got same pistol I started with and just keep rebuilding it. I still get excited when I shoot a clean match and beat guys with those fancy guns. I'll keep selling them those fancy guns, cause ain't America Great!!!!

IMHO

I feel some of your pain...all the guns I sold off (almost all my collection) have been because of financial issues or it wouldn't have happened. But I got rid of the problem area and once I get on my feet again in a solid position as a single adult there will be more guns brought back into my life to heal the wounds.

As for the tupperware....many can shoot them very well. I was ok but I made the switch to a S_I based gun and am hooked for life. The adjustment took a bit more than I thought but has been worth it. I may end up with another Glock someday but not for play or carry only not competition.

It will work out just give it a bit more time...