Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Linux Kernal Panic - Not Syncing

I gotta say right off that I don't really know much about computers.

I installed Ubuntu on my spare machine ( Automatix2 makes it work slick ! ).

Tried to install on my " good " machine , There has been no joy ,

Any advice appreciated !

Ubuntu stalls out trying to mount root file system. No error message just freezes.

Knoppix gets " kernal panic - not syncing : attempting to kill init! "

Travis F.

The only time I saw a kernel panic was when either hardware or drivers were faulty. At work, we make the hardware and write the drivers, so I expect it does not happen much outside a development environment. If you have something go wrong with 2 builds, I suspect a hardware problem. Oh, wait, this is Linux. You ARE in a development environment. :P

Since this is happening on the "good" machine, what OS ran before? Does that OS still boot?

Does the "good" machine have a hardware feature not well supported in Linux? Latest Knoppix build? Sometimes PC hardware changes faster than Linux developers can keep up, so older hardware runs better than new hardware.

Any changes since the last time the other OS booted?

Lee

Travis,

You probably know this but I would suggest visiting the following sites:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.knoppix.net/

A kernal panic is generally the sign of something like a hosed disk file, memory problems or a horribly misconfigured kernal. The installation scripts do a very good job of configuring systems but they are not perfect. With the plethora of PC mother boards and chip sets, it is hard to cover all the bases. If the system boots from the CD, the hardware is probably OK. You can try to manually mount the file system on the hard drive and see how that goes. The problem with linux, is that fall in to alpha-geek territory is steep and comes about fairly eaisly. If the install utilities don't do things right, the fix is generally a bit messy and takes some knowledge to make it right.

Best of luck,

Chuck

I fixed it !

Ubuntu seems to be allergic to my RAID card , but only when the SATA drives are connected.(?)

Unplug the drives and run from the IDE harddrive and all is well.

( A big thank you to Nick Habicht who sold me some old 80 G drives cheap ! )

This seems very strange to me , but then I know very little about Linux .

XP boots and runs fine from the SATA/RAID drives , I was hoping to switch back and forth between the OS's without opening the case.

Plugging/unplugging drives so far has a par time of 34 seconds ...

Practice , practice . practice , and don't install the case screws ...

Travis F.

Unplug the drives and run from the IDE harddrive and all is well.

( A big thank you to Nick Habicht who sold me some old 80 G drives cheap ! )

Travis,

funny I don't remember that ---- another Nick perhaps?

LOL, It was me :D.........glad to know they made it ok. Hope you burnt the dvd iso's I left on there before wiping them clean.

OOPS !

Wrong nick.

Sorry !

I am sure I'll get around to those ISO's eventually.

Thanks robomanusa !

Thankfully this place is not as crowded with Nick's as Eric(k)'s ...

Now if I could only swap shooting ability with TravisT while I'm busy screwing up names...

Travis F.

Archived