Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping Track Of Front Sight

jostein jensen

Hello all.

I'm new to pistol shooting (aprrox 1k rounds w/G17) and need advice.

Some months ago I bought beyond fundamentals. after reading it I began noticing things when training.

The first thing I noticed was when I was just firing on the target at 10m not really caring where the shot hit it, just looking at the sight and the gun.

I can't see the front sight when the gun goes bang, but I noticed that it went up to the right. Changed a little on the grip and it went straight up. But since I don't see the sight itself, and still trying to find "my" grip, it sort of just stayed up there and I had to consciously bring it down and make a new alignment. This I guess goes away with more practice combined with me getting to learn a proper grip when I get my own gun, and not just practicing live with the club glocks.

The other thing I noticed was when firing from a rested position.

I close my eyes when the shot goes off. I don't know why, and I don't want to, but it happens.

I just suddenly became aware of it and it was really cool since awareness was something the book said a LOT about.

I tried to just focus on the sight and just feeling the trigger for how much pressure it would take without going off. When it said bang - the damn eyes closed again.

Obviously this is a problem when I need to see the sight to know where the shot went...

How can I train this away? Will it disappear by itself after more practice? Keep in mind I have only fired 1000 rounds with pistol my whole life...

Thanks in advance for answers and thank you Brian for a REALLY GOOD BOOK! I'm going to be using it a lot when I get my gun and can start dry practicing with the drills it described. I'll probably wear it out :D

People tend to leave the gun up in the air during slow fire, I have noticed.

So, shoot faster. :)

You need to be around shooting some more to work out the blink. It's just natural to blink...until you train it out some.

Also, double up on hearing protection...plugs and muffs.

Make it your only goal (for now) to see the front sight lift out of the notch.

Shooting faster here can help to (if your grip is right). You should be able to fire at such a speed that your eyes/brain won't know when to flinch.

As you shoot more, you'll start thinking about the NEXT shot instead of the LAST shot, and your brain will naturally start controlling the hand/gun/arm platform to be ready for the next shot. As Flex said, just work on seeing the sights, and work on your grip.

H.

People tend to leave the gun up in the air during slow fire, I have noticed.

Yep, I do that. Anytime I'm shooting slowly for groups I end up removing all the extra muscles I can from affecting my trigger pull and thus don't bring the gun back down after the shot.

Edited by Matt Cheely

• 2 months later...
Hello all.

I'm new to pistol shooting (aprrox 1k rounds w/G17) and need advice.

Some months ago I bought beyond fundamentals. after reading it I began noticing things when training.

The first thing I noticed was when I was just firing on the target at 10m not really caring where the shot hit it, just looking at the sight and the gun.

I can't see the front sight when the gun goes bang, but I noticed that it went up to the right. Changed a little on the grip and it went straight up. But since I don't see the sight itself, and still trying to find "my" grip, it sort of just stayed up there and I had to consciously bring it down and make a new alignment. This I guess goes away with more practice combined with me getting to learn a proper grip when I get my own gun, and not just practicing live with the club glocks.

The other thing I noticed was when firing from a rested position.

I close my eyes when the shot goes off. I don't know why, and I don't want to, but it happens.

I just suddenly became aware of it and it was really cool since awareness was something the book said a LOT about.

I tried to just focus on the sight and just feeling the trigger for how much pressure it would take without going off. When it said bang - the damn eyes closed again.

Obviously this is a problem when I need to see the sight to know where the shot went...

How can I train this away? Will it disappear by itself after more practice? Keep in mind I have only fired 1000 rounds with pistol my whole life...

Thanks in advance for answers and thank you Brian for a REALLY GOOD BOOK! I'm going to be using it a lot when I get my gun and can start dry practicing with the drills it described. I'll probably wear it out :D

you should shoot more often to get used to it :D