Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Archos Dvr And Helmet Camera?

harley45

• 2 months later...

So, after shooting the 2007 Double Tap and Space City Championships with the Archos 404 and VioSport camera, I came to the conclusion that there must be some better setup.

The 404 is a cool piece of equipment, and the VioSport is a cool piece of equipment, but together they are a klunky combination. The VioSport requires an external power source which is either a group of eight AA batteries or their proprietary rechargeable battery pack. Either way, it's a weighty, cumbersome package to run around a stage with (especially if the stage requires an irregular start position such as seated or lying down).

Also, the VioSport is 520 line camera while the Archos 404 is a 480 line recorder so the extra resolution is being wasted.

With all these issues in mind, I purchased the Archos Helmet Camera for $150.00. Now, this is a 420 line camera so it's slightly lower resolution than the 404 but the tradeoff for useability is worth it. The Archos camera gets its power from the 404 so no external battery pack is needed. Its controls are located on the cable so you can easily put it into record mode or pause. There is an information button under the record/pause button on the cable that, when pressed, informs you via two small LEDs what status the 404 is in (power on/record on/power off).

So, with the Archos 404 selling for just under $300.00 and its camera at $150.00, for a $450.00 investment this is the hot ticket for a non-broadcast hatcam setup.

I'll post video samples from this past weekend's two matches that I tested the system at later tonight.

-Chet

I'll post video samples from this past weekend's two matches that I tested the system at later tonight.

-Chet

Chet, if possible, can you also post a shot of how/where the bullet camera is mounted to your hat?

Also, do you route the cable down your back? If so, do you pull it around to the front and after you hit record throw it over your shoulder? or ask a friendly RO to hit record? Any insight will be greatly appreciated as with my cable running down my back, player in a pouch on the back of my gunbelt, I manage to get nothing but tangled up! :angry2:

Thanks in advance.

[edited for clarity :rolleyes: ]

Edited by CDRODA396

Chet, if possible, can you also post a shot of how/where the bullet camera is mounted to your hat?

That can be seen in this thread.

Also, do you route the cable down your back? If so, do you pull it around to the front and after you hit record throw it over your shoulder?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. It looks a lot like Cher brushing her hair back. :D

I keep the 404 in my back pocket.

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

I'll just have to add Drill #39 to SAnderson's book and practice the record/position cable move when I dry fire! :D

That's exactly why i wore it during all the stages of the two local club matches this weekend.

Most important lesson learned: Do not wear the hat cam on stages that require a prone shooting position! :surprise:

-Chet

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My wife gave me an Archos 605 for Christmas. :D Yes, she is awesome!!!

I am waiting on the helmet camera,so I can't wait to start shooting with it. It is really a super cool unit. It is WiFI, so to me it is the utlimate thing to travel with to matches. Having internet on a decent size screen means you can do every thing from check weather forecast to sending email. The unit also allows you to download movies as well as music, so you even have something to do on those long trips to the match.

Sam's Club had a deal on the unit with a DVR station for $330, and you can get the helmet camera on-line for about $115.

If any of you were thinking about getting a system POV shooting video, or just something to download music to, I would recommend giving these system a look.