Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye?

Chuck Merriam

I have a buddy and he only uses bullseye powder. He wants to load some 40 and would like me to farm the knowledge here for a good starting point. Any loads with this powder are welcome. He made some at 1.160 and said they were accurate but only made 160pf with 4.6gns. He also mentioned the long ones were less accurate and seemed to be burning not so well. Any help would be great.

I have a buddy and he only uses bullseye powder. He wants to load some 40 and would like me to farm the knowledge here for a good starting point. Any loads with this powder are welcome. He made some at 1.160 and said they were accurate but only made 160pf with 4.6gns. He also mentioned the long ones were less accurate and seemed to be burning not so well. Any help would be great.

Check the Alliant powder website. They have lots of data for 40 S&W with Bullseye. I think Bullseye and W-231 are the most versatile pistol powders.

use a mag pistol primer, that will clean it up...seems bullseye burns the best when its "cookin" get the pressure up and it will burn clean.

i shot bullseye with 200 grain bullets in a glock, but lost the data.

i figure 4.8-5.0 grains with a magnum primer would get him to 165+

harmon

Since lead bullets are not recommended for hexagonal barrels, I load only jacketed bullets for my .40 Glock 23. Zero 180 grain JHPs over 5 grains of Bullseye gives me a consistent and accurate 949 fps for a 170.8 PF.

Lee

Alliant's data for 180 grain JHPs gives 5.5 grains at 1.125" OAL as a max load, so your friend has lots of room to work - assuming he's using 180 grain jacketed bullets (you didn't mention the bullet weight).

I use 4.4 grains under 185 grain Precision coated lead bullets, and it goes ~880 fps for about a 164 PF from my 4" Steyr M40. OAL is 1.13".