Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remmy 1100 Mag Tube Clamp & Barrel Fit

racine

I've got a Remmy 1100 with a +3 tube and barrel to 21". My problem is the magazine tube/barrel clamp used to fit my 28" barrel now spreads the barrel and mag tube apart. I bought a different brand but the problem still exists. Now I have no way to attach a sling. My question to some of you Remmy gurus is, does going without a barrel clamp lead to any match screwups, malfunctions or breakages that you know of??? I know that Browning had a pic of a similar setup minus the clamp. Thanks much for any and all assistance in advance.

Racine

I used to use a barrel band but dumped it when I realized it was the reason I was getting real loose slug groups. After removing it I can now shoot slugs into one hole at 50 yards.

The only downside is IF the tube weld breaks (I have seen this happen to someone only once in many years), you are dead in the water, whereas with the band, you will probably keep running (but not always).

I have no problems whatsoever without the band. Spreading the tube and barrel away from parallel is not a great thing IMHO ;-)

Your mag tube and barrel should be parrallel, both before the clamp is applied and afterwards. Any other result means something is out of whack.

If you have one of those stamped sheet metal clamps, you can tighten them too much, bend the arms, and then, yes, they will spread the tube and barrel. Not a good idea at all, I would be concerned that the threads on the end of the basic mag tube would fatigue and fail...

I have a machined clamp that won't distort and then push the mag tube around. I actually get concerned about damaging my mag tube on a barricade, so that is why I run the clamp. Nobody around here requires a sling on a shotgun, so I don't run one. When I had an M1907 leather sling on the rifle, I would remove it for stages too.

Billski

Your mag tube and barrel should be parrallel, both before the clamp is applied and afterwards. Any other result means something is out of whack.

If you have one of those stamped sheet metal clamps, you can tighten them too much, bend the arms, and then, yes, they will spread the tube and barrel. Not a good idea at all, I would be concerned that the threads on the end of the basic mag tube would fatigue and fail...

I have a machined clamp that won't distort and then push the mag tube around. I actually get concerned about damaging my mag tube on a barricade, so that is why I run the clamp. Nobody around here requires a sling on a shotgun, so I don't run one. When I had an M1907 leather sling on the rifle, I would remove it for stages too.

Billski

The mag tube was a 10 rounder in it's unlimited life but was shortened to 8 rounds. Back then the clamp(s) fit towards the end without any noticeable spreading. Since the shortening, even positioned towards the end, the clamps will spread the barrel & mag tube. Where does one get a machined clamp?

Thanks for all the responses, they're much appreciated.

Racine

• 1 month later...
I ditched the stamped piece of poop on my old 1100 and never had a problem with it . If you really need a sling attachment e-mail me and I could probably build you one on my Dads mill .

Paraman1,

Thanks for the offer but it may be more work than it's worth for you. I appreciate the offer. I'll have to consider the Clark Barrel Band to see if that works and go from there and let you know if that works. If you decide to make some you may consider selling it to 1100 fans as it does not seem to be an option available from anyone.

Thanks,

Racine

Walked away from a bbl/magtube clamp a couple years ago and have not loooked back. I have NOT had it loosen on it's own and I inspect the weld for integrity every time I clean it so I am not worried about that arena.

It shoots slugs SO much better without ANY bbl tension at all that I couldn't ignore it. I put an Uncle Mikes sling swivel with nut and washer in the forend so I can mount a sling there if needed. I use a plastic Choate forend so it's got the oomph to hanndle the sling stud there if it's a bolt, washer & nut type. I did have to dremel off the back of the stud bolt to get it to clear the gas system. This sling attach method also allows a bipod mount ifn'ya wanna' ;-)