Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Golfing Is Not A Word!

Chuck Merriam

At the risk of separating myself from the masses...I can't stand it when people use the term golfing. It is NOT a correct term for Playing Golf. When was the last time you herd a professional use the term?!? So... I used to go Baseballing when I wasn't Footballing or maybe Tennising when I was a kid all summer long. The term Golfing just makes the sport sound like it has no history or class. Where this term got all screwed up I do not know. I play Golf. I hit some pretty nice Golf shots. I am a Golfer. Maybe Golf Digest should change its name or at least address this issue (of course they won't, some of thier readers would be pissed). I challenge anyone to watch a Golf Tournament (Golfing Tournament for those who don't agree) and count how many times they use the term golfing! Please write back to this forum....I am confident there will be no takers. I need to go play shoot and get my frustration out. Rant Mode Off! :P I am now going to dig some footers and do some masonary work while I grow some more heighttthhh!

Dude........remember your from SC. I am sure there are plenty of things people say to you everyday besides golfing that is not a word. :D You've seen the blue collar comedy tour?....Well I'm from AL not too far from you and Duh...am....folks around here can't speak a lick... :lol:

Merriam-Webster dictionary does not have Golfing listed. If enough people use it, it can become a word like irregardless.

Exactly. Just like the word 'dis' for disrespect. It was considered slang until very recently.

Edited by al503

At the risk of separating myself from the masses...I can't stand it when people use the term golfing. It is NOT a correct term for Playing Golf. When was the last time you herd a professional use the term?!? So... I used to go Baseballing when I wasn't Footballing or maybe Tennising when I was a kid all summer long. The term Golfing just makes the sport sound like it has no history or class. Where this term got all screwed up I do not know. I play Golf. I hit some pretty nice Golf shots. I am a Golfer. Maybe Golf Digest should change its name or at least address this issue (of course they won't, some of thier readers would be pissed). I challenge anyone to watch a Golf Tournament (Golfing Tournament for those who don't agree) and count how many times they use the term golfing! Please write back to this forum....I am confident there will be no takers. I need to go play shoot and get my frustration out. Rant Mode Off! :P I am now going to dig some footers and do some masonary work while I grow some more heighttthhh!

Tell it to these guys: Golfing.com :P

From the dictionary-

GOLF-A game played on a large outdoor course with a series of 9 or 18 holes spaced far apart, the object being to propel a small, hard ball with the use of various clubs into each hole with as few strokes as possible.

intransitive verb- golfed, golf·ing, golfs

To play this game

:D

Edited by AH6IP