Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Mag Wells

BrianH

This one could drift into limited but...

Of the add-on mag wells for the STI/SV frames, what do people think of them (EGW, STI, Krebs, whatever)...

I'm interested in what you like, what you don't like, you know, opinion stuff.  Help me not buy the wrong thing

Thanks.

I am using a Dawson "Ice" on my limited rig and I like it a lot. It will suck a mag right out of your mag pouch! :)

I like it enough that I am going to put one on my new open blaster (yes, I could not help it. I have been tempted by the dark side).

Brian,

One BIG factor to consider is how the magwell feels with your shooting grip.  I personally use the Smoking Hole "black hole" magwell and it is huge.  I did not get it because of the magwell opening but because of how it felt in my hand.  Many years ago I saw a local GM's gun and asked him if he was having reload problems to have such a huge homemade magwell.  He smiled and asked me to handle the gun.  It felt like a dumbell in my hand, in that it centered my hand automatically between the beavertail and the magwell.   I believe that there are several good and large magwells that will do the job of helping you reload but pick the one that also fits your hand.

Good luck,

Leo

I'll agree there....this is part what prompted my question.  I have shot a friends STI with the Smokin Hole and I didn't like what it did to the feel of the grip.  A little is ok, but that's too much, and I don't think I need that much magwell anyway.

Brian,

In that case I would look at Dave's Ice magwell.  It gives your hand more room than the Smoking Hole and may be more comfortable for you.  Any of these magwells are far bigger than what you need for mag changing purposes and you just need to find what "fits" your hand the best.

Leo

I use a STI aluminium one in black on both my open steel gun and my LTD IPSC gun. I have an EGW on my open IPSC gun but only because it came that way as a used gun. One of my shooting buddies has Smoking Hole Magwells on all his STI's. I really can't tell much of a difference.

One thing to keep in mind about the STI Magwell, it is not a simple add on. You (or someone else) must  profile the inlet of the grip to match the magwell otherwise there will not be a smooth transition.  Also, once you make a  mod to the grip,it may preclude you from switching to another. I think that once you put on  one of  the Smokinghole Magwells you can't go back.

warpspeed,

The old smoking holes were that way, you had to carve on the grip a bit.  The new ones slip on.

I also like the feel of a big mag well because it supports the bottom outside edge of my strong hand.  However, I now mill away the inside edge because I noticed I had to open my weak hand and use my palm more when reloading to fully seat the mag.  This was causing me to slow down.  Now it has all the benefits of a big mouth mag, with the reload comfort and speed of the smaller mag wells.

Bret