Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Try Uspsa Shooting?

98sr20ve

With your pistol selection, IDPA would provide a better venue. Although USPSA offers a "Production" division, by the time competitors spend hundreds of dollars for competition modifications and upgrades, it's hardly a division for production pistols.

Singlestack, I would respectfully disagree.....

The Production division "gun race" is greatly exaggerated. I shoot a CZ75B ($410 NIB)have an Uncle mikes gun belt ($10), mag holders (2 @ 14.95), 3 mags (the gun came with two) from meg-car ($20.00 @), and a Fobus Holster ($23). Grand Total...$533. Modifactions, $3 in skate board tape (best single mod!!) and $1.50 in a sharpie marker to black out the rear sight dots. I spend $$ on ammo for practice. (best $$ spent IMHO) I am competitive in my division. I have even won a few stages.....beating guys with all thier high dollar mods, and I have been shooting USPSA since JUNE. I also just had my IDPA orientation and shot my first IDPA match this weekend and had a blast! Bottom line, both are fun, both have rules, both you point your gun at a target and make it go boom. My suggestion SHOOT BOTH, and have fun at it, but don't think you have to break the bank to be competitive in either Discipline, USPSA or IDPA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find that theres a lot of the same personalities in IPSC/shooting that you see in AutoX and racing.

If that were the case, you'd think USPSA shooters would be less concerned about class dilution! When we start talking about H-Limited, then I'd start worrying.

Hey, when I started it was few classes (A,B,C,D), no divisions. Now we have D, C, B, A, M, and Gm in Open, Limited, Limited 10, Single Stack, Production, and Revolver...are we really that far off?

With your pistol selection, IDPA would provide a better venue. Although USPSA offers a "Production" division, by the time competitors spend hundreds of dollars for competition modifications and upgrades, it's hardly a division for production pistols.

Singlestack, I would respectfully disagree.....

The Production division "gun race" is greatly exaggerated. I shoot a CZ75B ($410 NIB)have an Uncle mikes gun belt ($10), mag holders (2 @ 14.95), 3 mags (the gun came with two) from meg-car ($20.00 @), and a Fobus Holster ($23). Grand Total...$533. Modifactions, $3 in skate board tape (best single mod!!) and $1.50 in a sharpie marker to black out the rear sight dots. I spend $$ on ammo for practice. (best $$ spent IMHO) I am competitive in my division. I have even won a few stages.....beating guys with all thier high dollar mods, and I have been shooting USPSA since JUNE. I also just had my IDPA orientation and shot my first IDPA match this weekend and had a blast! Bottom line, both are fun, both have rules, both you point your gun at a target and make it go boom. My suggestion SHOOT BOTH, and have fun at it, but don't think you have to break the bank to be competitive in either Discipline, USPSA or IDPA

Thanks for the responses. I am committed to doing anything I do over the next 6 months min. with the Kahr TP9 that I have. It's my CCW and I need to know that I can shoot it well. Then, I can decide to do something else with a different gun. I have 4 magazines now and the holster I have is fine for the time being. Winning would be nice but for the time being just gaining good shooting and gun handling skills is my short term goal. Oh, and I want to have fun. Thats not too hard really. :)

Edited by 98sr20ve

I am committed to doing anything I do over the next 6 months min. with the Kahr TP9 that I have. It's my CCW and I need to know that I can shoot it well. Then, I can decide to do something else with a different gun. I have 4 magazines now and the holster I have is fine for the time being. Winning would be nice but for the time being just gaining good shooting and gun handling skills is my short term goal. Oh, and I want to have fun. Thats not too hard really.

This is an excellent attitude and you should go far with it. Shoot what you have, learn the rules, learn gunhandling, have fun and decide if this form of competition is for you. Then you can spend what ever you want to in order to progress, just remember that given even a reasonable equality in equipment it is always the shooter and not the gun!

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

I have 4 magazines now....

Just don't miss on the 32 round field courses..... :D:D Seriously --- after a couple of matches, if you decide you like the game, buy a couple more magazines. I think 6 doublestacks or 8 singlestacks are about right for any autoloader, other than maybe .22s. That last part's dependent on whether you shoot steel or anything else with a .22.....

The Kahr should take you a long way --- and you can use the time to try other people's gear, so if you do decide to buy a game gun or three, you'll have an idea of what you want....

Welcome to the sport!

I have 4 magazines now....

Just don't miss on the 32 round field courses..... :D:D Seriously --- after a couple of matches, if you decide you like the game, buy a couple more magazines. I think 6 doublestacks or 8 singlestacks are about right for any autoloader, other than maybe .22s. That last part's dependent on whether you shoot steel or anything else with a .22.....

The Kahr should take you a long way --- and you can use the time to try other people's gear, so if you do decide to buy a game gun or three, you'll have an idea of what you want....

Welcome to the sport!

Well, actually, I have 4X8rd + 1x7 and I have a defective 8rd that I will repair shortly. So I have 4X8rd on my belt plus the full 8 (or nine) in my gun.

Well, actually, I have 4X8rd + 1x7 and I have a defective 8rd that I will repair shortly. So I have 4X8rd on my belt plus the full 8 (or nine) in my gun.

I'm glad --- I really didn't want you to have an unpleasant surprise on some of the high round count stages we sometimes run. The seven would be handy as both a barney mag, and an absolute disaster mag ---- but this is coming from a guy who starts every stage with at least 60 rounds......

I'm glad --- I really didn't want you to have an unpleasant surprise on some of the high round count stages we sometimes run. The seven would be handy as both a barney mag, and an absolute disaster mag ---- but this is coming from a guy who starts every stage with at least 60 rounds......

Well, a month ago I would not have even know the difference between a IDPA and a USPSA type of course. Now I know that for the USPSA stuff I need a ton of magazines just to make it thru the bullet intensive couses. IDPA is less of a disadvantage but my 8+1rd Kahr is still behind the count for that type of shooting. I will muddle thru with what I have. It's clear that if I countinue with all this at some point I will want to buy a different gun.

Guns are not that accepted overhere...

Fired my first shot out of a pistol 10 years ago, one year later got my permit and struggled around with a SIG P210-4 (9mm) and after that a Colt Government Mk IV Series-80-(.38Super Auto) which didn't fit...

Discovered IPSC in '01...purchased my SV's :wub: first in Open afterwards in Limited....

Coming back to the question "Should I try USPSA.....of course !!! :D !!! you should! :)

Edited by schmitz

Welcome to my world. First, get all those doubts out of your head. You will find a great bunch of people here and at your local or national matches. Get out there and experience it and then make your decision on your equipment later. Browse through this forum and you will find an abundance of information at your fingertips. Good Luck.

You mean right after the 2008 rule changes become final, right?

I have to say, I was leaning toward joining USPSA until I went through the thread on rule changes. Personally, I've got some studying to do before deciding which, if any, of the practical shooting organizations has a place for me and the guns I most enjoy shooting.

Lee

Sorry about the thread-jacking 98sr20.

I have to say, I was leaning toward joining USPSA until I went through the thread on rule changes. Personally, I've got some studying to do before deciding which, if any, of the practical shooting organizations has a place for me and the guns I most enjoy shooting.

Tell us about your guns, Lee. I'm sure at least one of them will find a place in USPSA.

Don't let our diatribes confuse you. Our sport is ALOTTA FUN!

Sorry about the thread-jacking 98sr20.

Tell us about your guns, Lee. I'm sure at least one of them will find a place in USPSA.

Don't let our diatribes confuse you. Our sport is ALOTTA FUN!

I'm sure it is fun. Many years ago, I shot IPSC for a while, perhaps before there was a USPSA, at least before I heard there was. Recently, I've been shooting PPC at my local club. It's OK, but a rotating target is hardly a complex challange.

OK, here's what I have, all dead stock so far. Some will be modifications will be made soon.

- S&W Model 19 .357 revolver with 6 inch barrel. Has original target trigger and hammer spur. No changes planned.

- Colt Delta Elite 10mm that despirately needs trigger work & beavertail grip safety. New trigger will have an overtravel stop and will probably be most likely be skelletonized. The present trigger has a ton of creep, is rough and has about a 9 lb pull. I'll probably decide to replace the sights as well.

- H&K Compact USP .45. Stock. No changes planned. May sell it if the Colt Gold Cup works out as originally planned.

- Glock 23, my carry gun. Not likely to be a competition gun. The trigger eats my finger after about 25 rounds. Dead stock now. I'll be looking to do something about the trigger.

- Beretta 92-F and Beretta 92-FS. The FS is stock. The F has had the hammer drop feature removed. The safety is still fully functional, but does not drop the hammer. The change was originally made to allow the gun to be carried cocked and locked specifically for IPSC competition. Nobody complained back then. It may not be competition legal now. I'm going to restore the hammer drop to the F and disable it on the FS. My wife likes the 92-F and I want her gun to have all possible safety features.

- I'm waiting on my new Gold Cup .45, purchased new in the box, a few weeks ago, that turned out to have one of the loosest slides I've ever seen in a 1911 as well as a chipped front sight, to come back from Colt. Failing to notice the loose slide was my fault. The broken sight is not. Colt says they'll take care of it. We'll see. Assuming it comes back right, the Gold Cup would be my preference.

Have at it.

Lee

I got my first pistol at 40! Started shooting Production division and am having a great time 1 year later. You're definately not too old.

You got that right. I'll be 59 in March and I'm not too old either. I just hurt a bit more each morning than I used to.

Oh yes, for the first half hour of each day, I can tell you where every injury I ever had is, every one of them. After that, I'm 40is again.

Lee

Today I shot my first practise stage in 4 YEARS!!!! I went to the Richmond Hot Shots range

(in Cal.) MY GOD ITS'S TOO MUCH FUN TO BE LEGAL. Sorry about yelling.

If you're thinking about shooting IPSC just do it. Nobodies cares what make your gun is as long as it's safe. Chances are if someone snickers at it it's becouse they have one too.

I'll probably never be a grand master and make $100,000 a year shooting. So I'm in the same boat as you are buddy. But it's just so much fun!!!! I'm hooked again.

Just be safe and have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my husband love to shoot and we have for years but we were looking for a shooting sport. The first match we went to we just watched, talked to some really nice and friendly people. Those top shooters love the sport, they love to see new people joining the sport. After that we were hooked, we have only shot 4-5 matches. At first I thought I'm not ready to shoot with these guys, what I found I couldn't believe. They were giving me pointers with my stance, and my grip. They encourage me and my husband and we are not exactly spring chickens my husband is 42 and I'm just a few steps behind him that is all I've got to say about that. Go to a match and you will see what we are all talking about.

I love it, no matter how well I shoot I always have a great time.