Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Try Uspsa Shooting?

98sr20ve

Well, I emailed Pikes Peak Pratical Shooters to get more info on the USPSA in my area. This is what I found for the USPSA but not any good local info about local match's.

http://www.uspsa.org/

Front Range IPDA has this site

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/fridpa.htm

and a meet in my home town.

Here is the problem. Not sure if I can get enough magazines together by the time of the event. Plust it appears by the rules that I need magazines that are all the same size. I have a 8 and a 7rd and thats it. I could buy some speedloaders for the 357 but I think I want to shoot the 9mm more. I need to do some safty class so I may just do that at the next IPDA event even if I don't have all the magazines. Then I can watch and help some I am sure. Is my lack of same capacity magazines a big deal. I may be able to borrow a couple from someone I know. But that seems odd to do. Even then I don't have any holders for my belt.

I just found a IDPA match in my home town on the 19th. Front Range IDPA, Pueblo West, CO. I guess I should order 3 more magazines and some belt magazine holders.

Pueblo West's USPSA club has their monthly match on the second Sunday of every month...meaning there is a match scheduled for tomorrow.

High Plains Practical Shooters has a match on the 18th, but you would have to have already taken the safety course (we don't offer day of the match classes). www.hpps.org

Visit www.ecouspsa.com for front range shooting schedules and clubs. Pikes Peak does their new shooter "class" at 8:00 on the day of their matches. Only issue with tomorrow is weather.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info. Because of the weather I probably won't make the trip down tomorrow, but will gladly make sure you have all the info you need to be able to join in.

PM sent, I want to come.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the problem. Not sure if I can get enough magazines together by the time of the event. Plust it appears by the rules that I need magazines that are all the same size. I have a 8 and a 7rd and thats it. I could buy some speedloaders for the 357 but I think I want to shoot the 9mm more. I need to do some safty class so I may just do that at the next IPDA event even if I don't have all the magazines. Then I can watch and help some I am sure. Is my lack of same capacity magazines a big deal. I may be able to borrow a couple from someone I know. But that seems odd to do. Even then I don't have any holders for my belt.

In our local USPSA matches, no one would worry one iota about whether all of your mags were the same capacity, as long as none of them were loaded beyond the magic number (10) upon the start signal ;) This is NOT IDPA! And, FYI, I am not aware of a front range USPSA club that will accept the IDPA safety check as a direct substitute for the USPSA safety class.

My suggestion...get to tomorrow's match with what you have and take their safety course. That will get you into HPPS' match on the 18th. That way you will have a week to get more mags!

In our local USPSA matches, no one would worry one iota about whether all of your mags were the same capacity, as long as none of them were loaded beyond the magic number (10) upon the start signal ;) This is NOT IDPA! And, FYI, I am not aware of a front range USPSA club that will accept the IDPA safety check as a direct substitute for the USPSA safety class.

My suggestion...get to tomorrow's match with what you have and take their safety course. That will get you into HPPS' match on the 18th. That way you will have a week to get more mags!

What time should I be there? Should I go buy 200rds of ammo as well or just wait on that?

Be at Pueblo by 7:30 to 8:00 for the safety orientation there. The match starts at 10:00. There are 7 USPSA matches a month along the front range. From east of Ft. Collins down to Pueblo.

Check out www.ecouspsa.com for a listing of all the matches along the front range, both USPSA, IDPA, steel, 3-gun.

Arizona is shooting heaven, but Colorado is Paradise.

If you can bring 200 rounds, by all means do so, but if not, bring what you got, and with the group of guys down there will fill in what you need.

Give Bob Waltzer (aka Lizard) a call (his number is one the ecouspsa website) and he will do whatever he can to help you out.

Travis

Clear Creek Practical Shooters

Edited by Tman33_99

Steve was there. He shot on with me, Gumby, Champion, Stew, etc. He did just fine ;) . The last couple of stages he borrowed another guys's XD rig and mags. Keep coming back Steve, and you will see your shooting progress. You shoot your Kahr just fine, but more mags and some mag pouches are a definate in your future. Take the Kahr as far as you can ride it, learn the sport and we will help you through the learning curve (just don't shoot like I did today :( ).

The weather totally sucked today, and shooters were packing their toys and leaving. You stuck it out and finished, beating two other shooters. Pretty good start. Next thing you know, you'll be three guns and 13.000 rounds into this sport and climbing the ladder. Don't worry about the times right now. Learn the basics and shoot A's. You'll know when it's time to start pushing yourself (we'll be standing there yellin :D )

Next match is next Saturday at HPPS outside of Kiowa, and then up in Greeley the day after. PM me or EZ Bagger if you want to shoot and need directions etc. The USPSA web sight for Eastern CO is www.ecouspsa.com. The match schedule for USPSA, IDPA, Steel matches, and Bianchi are all on there along with a bunch of other contacts and info about shooting on the front range.

If you want to shoot but can't get any gear between now and the HPPS match, let me know. I have enough for at least three or four people. You'll have to subject yourself to shooting a Glock though.....

Sean

Edited by SA Friday

Steve was there. He shot on with me, Gumby, Champion, Stew, etc. He did just fine ;) . The last couple of stages he borrowed another guys's XD rig and mags. Keep coming back Steve, and you will see your shooting progress. You shoot your Kahr just fine, but more mags and some mag pouches are a definate in your future. Take the Kahr as far as you can ride it, learn the sport and we will help you through the learning curve (just don't shoot like I did today :( ).

The weather totally sucked today, and shooters were packing their toys and leaving. You stuck it out and finished, beating two other shooters. Pretty good start. Next thing you know, you'll be three guns and 13.000 rounds into this sport and climbing the ladder. Don't worry about the times right now. Learn the basics and shoot A's. You'll know when it's time to start pushing yourself (we'll be standing there yellin :D )

Next match is next Saturday at HPPS outside of Kiowa, and then up in Greeley the day after. PM me or EZ Bagger if you want to shoot and need directions etc. The USPSA web sight for Eastern CO is www.ecouspsa.com. The match schedule for USPSA, IDPA, Steel matches, and Bianchi are all on there along with a bunch of other contacts and info about shooting on the front range.

If you want to shoot but can't get any gear between now and the HPPS match, let me know. I have enough for at least three or four people. You'll have to subject yourself to shooting a Glock though.....

Sean

For being cold as can be, I had a great time. I wish I had more magazines, everyone chipped in to help me load them while I shot but the Kahr mags are stiff and that was tough. I ended up waiting, and eventually we saw a 35ish round stage that would have taken forever with the two mags I had. So I was lucky to borrow a XD and shot just fine with that. I cam in 7 out of 9 so I guess thats ok. I had fun, and was safe thats what matters. I will be ordering more magazines Monday. Think I will be back? You bet.

Good to hear that you had fun. It's not as intimidating as it looks is it?

And thats because every person I had in my group was so helpful. Truely, I felt like I was asking the same thing over and over. But it's all so overwhelming. I really only messed up one stage badly in my own mind. Most the stages I was able to hit "A's" and feel good about it. I did a nice "upper A shot" on a no shoot once. That was classy ;). I am really looking forward to getting some more magazines and coming out again. I feel it will really help me focus and have a goal for my practice in the future. I am sure that in the future I will want a new gun, but I refuse to buy one for 6 months. I will just use what I have. I kinda hope others read this thread. I had all this unfounded fears about what it would be like. Mostly, that I would make a fool out of myself. Reality is that as long as you are safe, everyone will bend over backwards to be helpful. Truely a great experiance. I will be doing the IPDA one next week if I have my magazines. I won't put people thru having to load for me. I felt so bad about that. But, I think I can get them by friday. Thanks to everyone for helping me out and making this a great experiance.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I think you'll find that theres a lot of the same personalities in IPSC/shooting that you see in AutoX and racing. I've been AutoXing for a few years now and just started road racing this year. Judging by your screen name we drive similar cars :)

You'll enjoy the competition and the people. Just remember to have fun

Um, if you're already shooting the 686, why not just shoot revolver division? You;d need to get some Safariland Comp III speedloaders or you could go the route of moon clips and get your cylinder machined for it. There are at least a few people shooting 686's in Revo division. There is nothing wrong shooting 6 at a time and you only compete against other Revo shooters. Besides, if you are the only one, you will always win your division ;)

Vince

thats ok..if you run out of mags..just have the scorekeeper to carry some ammo with him and when you run dry he can reload your mag and hand it back to you when you dump the next one out...try it..its fun.. :P

thats ok..if you run out of mags..just have the scorekeeper to carry some ammo with him and when you run dry he can reload your mag and hand it back to you when you dump the next one out...try it..its fun.. :P

Thats what they did at this event. I ordered 4 magazines. They should be here by friday. Hopefully, they are not junk as they are not KAHR magazines. No one has the KAHR ones in stock. I will be there Sunday at the IPDA Pueblo West meet more then likely.

Um, if you're already shooting the 686, why not just shoot revolver division? You;d need to get some Safariland Comp III speedloaders or you could go the route of moon clips and get your cylinder machined for it. There are at least a few people shooting 686's in Revo division. There is nothing wrong shooting 6 at a time and you only compete against other Revo shooters. Besides, if you are the only one, you will always win your division ;)

Vince

The revolver is not my carry piece. Don't think winning my division every event didn't cross my mind.

I think you'll find that theres a lot of the same personalities in IPSC/shooting that you see in AutoX and racing.
If that were the case, you'd think USPSA shooters would be less concerned about class dilution! When we start talking about H-Limited, then I'd start worrying.

Be at Pueblo by 7:30 to 8:00 for the safety orientation there. The match starts at 10:00. There are 7 USPSA matches a month along the front range. From east of Ft. Collins down to Pueblo.

Check out www.ecouspsa.com for a listing of all the matches along the front range, both USPSA, IDPA, steel, 3-gun.

Arizona is shooting heaven, but Colorado is Paradise.

If you can bring 200 rounds, by all means do so, but if not, bring what you got, and with the group of guys down there will fill in what you need.

Give Bob Waltzer (aka Lizard) a call (his number is one the ecouspsa website) and he will do whatever he can to help you out.

Travis

Clear Creek Practical Shooters

You wouldn't happen to know when I should show up for the IDPA thing on Sunday? I also invited someone else I know who has never done this. So they will have two newbies :)

Steve,

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/FRIDPA/FRI...htm#schedule-PW

Link says 9:45, but I'm sure they'd appreciate you showing up well before that....

Hey, I saw that but last time I showed up at 8AM just to give them plenty of time to do the safety class. I did send them a e-mail just to be sure. I was just hoping that someone here might pass this along sence we seem to have a great local base reading some of this stuff. I invited a friend as well. It's kinda funny, he had all the same fears/concerns I had about attending my first event.

Edit, They e-mailed me and said 7:30 for the class. Yawn,

Edited by 98sr20ve