Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Try Uspsa Shooting?

98sr20ve

I have read the sticky on this page. The format sounds fun and I have always wanted to compete against myself in this type of thing. I am 40 years old and have no grand illusions that I will ever beat people who have been doing this for years. But, just like driving on a racetrack was something I always wanted to do this is another that always sounded fun. I am a member of a local range and I shoot as often as I can. I used to shoot in college but sold everything many years ago. I bought a S+W 686 (4 inch) back in May and since then I have put about 1500rds thru the gun. I just bought a Kahr TP9 (Basically a 4 inch 9mm with good night sights, DAO) that I use as my CCW. The gun shoots really well and I think my dedication to shooting the 686 DAO has really paid off. At the range I typically shoot at white paper plates, 25ft-35ft, With both guns I very, very seldom pull off the plate at 25ft when I am shooting quickly. Usually, can get a nice pattern in the middle. I usually shoot for speed not accuracy, in other words, just try to hit the plate as fast as I can from my holster (or the bench if other people are at the range to not make them nervous). Sometimes double sometimes single hits and reholster, and do it again. Anyway, at 25ft I am pretty comfortable with both guns, I can’t get three cartridges in the air (like you see in magazines) and I am defiantly faster with the Kahr at 25ft. 50ft is a chore for me to consistently hit the plate. Maybe 70% a little better if I go slow like most people do. My eyesight seems to not like this range. I need to practice this skill more. I have a belt holster for each gun, Only 2 magazines for the Kahr (that’s 17rds) and two speed loaders for the 686 (18rds). Do you guys think my shooting skills are decent enough to go to an event and not make a total fool of myself? I know I will need to go slow, and have reasonable expectations, but I don’t want to not even be able to hit the targets if there is a lot of 50ft stuff and I am nervous. How friendly are these groups to people like me who mostly want to compete against themselves? I have found if I try to compete against others to much I get frustrated and don’t enjoy things as much (like I did in autocrossing, so I went to roadcourse driving mostly). Would I need to buy much more equipment?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You DEFINITELY need to give USPSA a try!! :blink: You may need to get an approved holster, mag pouches and extra mags. But attend a match, even if it is to watch, ask questions and learn what you need. Alot of people will borrow equipment if you need it and are some of the friendliest people you may ever meet. Good luck!

Edited by Rocket35

Just do it!

It sounds like you have a little of the competitive fire inside. If so, you'll quickly find yourself trying to figure out how those guys that have been doing this for 10 years keep stomping all over you....

Hopefully you'll find a couple of new shooting buddies to help you figure stuff out and to keep the head aimed in the right direction.

With your pistol selection, IDPA would provide a better venue. Although USPSA offers a "Production" division, by the time competitors spend hundreds of dollars for competition modifications and upgrades, it's hardly a division for production pistols.

That's about the least beneficial thing I've heard regarding this topic. The forum member asked if could shoot in USPSA, not your opinion of USPSA shooting. Further, if you knew anything about Production, you'd know the number of modifications that are allowed in Production are slim to none at best.

That said, with your Kahr, and your concealment gear, you'd be set in USPSA Production Division. My only suggestion would be to pick up say another 2-3 mags and mag pouches to hold 3-4 on your belt. The only is the variation in course designs from club to club. Yeah, they're supposed to follow course design criteria, but know I'm guilty of throwin' in a 30+ round stage far too often.

You sound like a solid shooter and do not think that you're too old. USPSA shooting is a great sport. My father at the ripe old age of 56 plays around with it a little bit. Mostly it's so he and I can hang out. He's old(er), out of shape and isn't a great shot but has fun. He tried IDPA and just didn't have any fun.

Bottom line. Give it a try, but do so more than once. If you any questions, please do not hesitate to ask on the forums as this is a HUGE well of knowledge and the people are second to none.

Rich

ETA: Steve - if we knew where you were at, I could probably refer you to a friend that'd walk you through your first couple of matches.

Edited by uscbigdawg

The format sounds fun and I have always wanted to compete against myself in this type of thing. I am 40 years old and have no grand illusions that I will ever beat people who have been doing this for years.

Welcome to my world. First, get all those doubts out of your head. You will find a great bunch of people here and at your local or national matches. Get out there and experience it and then make your decision on your equipment later. Browse through this forum and you will find an abundance of information at your fingertips. Good Luck.

With your pistol selection, IDPA would provide a better venue. Although USPSA offers a "Production" division, by the time competitors spend hundreds of dollars for competition modifications and upgrades, it's hardly a division for production pistols.

That's about the least beneficial thing I've heard regarding this topic. The forum member asked if could shoot in USPSA, not your opinion of USPSA shooting. Further, if you knew anything about Production, you'd know the number of modifications that are allowed in Production are slim to none at best.

That said, with your Kahr, and your concealment gear, you'd be set in USPSA Production Division. My only suggestion would be to pick up say another 2-3 mags and mag pouches to hold 3-4 on your belt. The only is the variation in course designs from club to club. Yeah, they're supposed to follow course design criteria, but know I'm guilty of throwin' in a 30+ round stage far too often.

You sound like a solid shooter and do not think that you're too old. USPSA shooting is a great sport. My father at the ripe old age of 56 plays around with it a little bit. Mostly it's so he and I can hang out. He's old(er), out of shape and isn't a great shot but has fun. He tried IDPA and just didn't have any fun.

Bottom line. Give it a try, but do so more than once. If you any questions, please do not hesitate to ask on the forums as this is a HUGE well of knowledge and the people are second to none.

Rich

ETA: Steve - if we knew where you were at, I could probably refer you to a friend that'd walk you through your first couple of matches.

I don't really know enough to even know the difference between the two. I was not really referring to any particular class or group as much as I "thought" both had a "stock" class in all major competative shooting groups I could try out. My 686 has a CCW type trigger job. It's 100% with my remmington primer reloads. I don't even know if thats still "stock" I can research rules and classes latter I guess. I live in Pueblo Colorado.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Wow, you guys are fast. I forgot to ask, Which gun should I use. I am leaning towards the Kahr as it's more my gun. Is there a lot of 50ft shooting involved?

I'd say to use the Kahr at first. This will minimize the expense of ammo and equipment.

Target distances vary by range and club. But, in CO, the majority of targets are well within 50 ft. That being said, you will find some sadists who enjoy the tiny plates at longer distances. :P But, all that means is you get another excuse to practice more.

Give it a try. Like it has been said here, there are shooters at all levels in this sport and there is fun had by all. It is the only sport I have ever seen where people will actually give you good advice that could help you beat them. The nicest group (as a whole) of people you will ever meet. Check out a match if you can, but don't forget to bring your equipment cuz once you watch, you will want to try it.

I have read the sticky on this page. The format sounds fun and I have always wanted to compete against myself in this type of thing. I am 40 years old and have no grand illusions that I will ever beat people who have been doing this for years. But, just like driving on a racetrack was something I always wanted to do this is another that always sounded fun. I am a member of a local range and I shoot as often as I can. I used to shoot in college but sold everything many years ago. I bought a S+W 686 (4 inch) back in May and since then I have put about 1500rds thru the gun. I just bought a Kahr TP9 (Basically a 4 inch 9mm with good night sights, DAO) that I use as my CCW. The gun shoots really well and I think my dedication to shooting the 686 DAO has really paid off. At the range I typically shoot at white paper plates, 25ft-35ft, With both guns I very, very seldom pull off the plate at 25ft when I am shooting quickly. Usually, can get a nice pattern in the middle. I usually shoot for speed not accuracy, in other words, just try to hit the plate as fast as I can from my holster (or the bench if other people are at the range to not make them nervous). Sometimes double sometimes single hits and reholster, and do it again. Anyway, at 25ft I am pretty comfortable with both guns, I can’t get three cartridges in the air (like you see in magazines) and I am defiantly faster with the Kahr at 25ft. 50ft is a chore for me to consistently hit the plate. Maybe 70% a little better if I go slow like most people do. My eyesight seems to not like this range. I need to practice this skill more. I have a belt holster for each gun, Only 2 magazines for the Kahr (that’s 17rds) and two speed loaders for the 686 (18rds). Do you guys think my shooting skills are decent enough to go to an event and not make a total fool of myself? I know I will need to go slow, and have reasonable expectations, but I don’t want to not even be able to hit the targets if there is a lot of 50ft stuff and I am nervous. How friendly are these groups to people like me who mostly want to compete against themselves? I have found if I try to compete against others to much I get frustrated and don’t enjoy things as much (like I did in autocrossing, so I went to roadcourse driving mostly). Would I need to buy much more equipment?

You should definitely try it. You will like it I can tell from your post. I was doing the same thing you are now and finally went out last April and started shooting with the local groups. It is as addictive as anything I've ever tried.

Advice time: Go out and watch but take your stuff with you just in case the local club you go to is ready to run you through the basic safety course that day/night. Shoot what you own already. Whether it's the Kahr or the revolver. There is a division for either. Be safe but have fun and enjoy yourself. You will likely make mistakes in the beginning (and for some time after :D ) as everyone does. Use those instances for what they are, learning opportunities.

Chris

Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE UP USPSA OR IDPA SHOOTING! Trust me; I am trying to save you from a true addiction. Should you fail to heed my advice (I’m 54 by the way and been a USPSA addict for only two years) you will experience the following:

Your first match will be a bit overwhelming but some great people will help you through it. Your focus will be on safety and the basics as it should be. The experienced shooters will appear to be going at light speed while you are moving at a snail’s pace. No matter, you’ll end up having about the most fun you’ve ever had with your clothes on. You’ll practice your draws and mag changes ad nauseum until your next match.

At your second match, you’ll see some folks you shot with at the previous match but a whole new set of stages and challenges. You’ll better understand the major rules by this point. You’ll be much smoother and a little faster. You’ll finish with a sh** eating grin on your face. You’ll scrounge a couple of used targets that would get trashed anyway to let you practice more realistically. You’ll also have discovered the value of dry fire practice.

At your third match, you’ll really be getting into the game. You’ll be starting to think about strategy and tactics for each new stage if you're shooting USPSA. You will be more aggressive and begin to move faster between shooting positions. You won’t be as intimidated by No Shoots or partially covered targets unless they are way out there. You’ll begin to focus on the classifier to see just how well you can do. You’ll find one or two newbies and talk with them to help them through their first match. That grin will be back at the end of the match again. You’ll race home to see how you did when they post the match results. You’ll likely buy a timer so you can really step up your practice pace. If you started in IDPA, you will begin looking for near-by USPSA matches so you can shoot and compete more.

By your fifth match, you’ll be an old hand and spend hours of your time on this Forum. You will have made a bunch of new friends and begin to see performance details you hadn’t noticed before. You’ll be looking at other shooter’s equipment to see what division you may want to try and want to buy next. You can stay in Production and keep you costs relatively reasonable. You can also move to Single Stack or L-10. These will require a different pistol but the costs are still pretty reasonable. If you are totally, helplessly addicted by this point (which is very likely) you may even be thinking about Limited or Open.

By the end of your first year you will have shot thousands of rounds in practice, bought a few more pieces of equipment and probably a new pistol and may be shooting in two or more divisions. Your classification will be at least one level above where you began. You’ll have spent a good chunk of your life on this Forum, read Brian’s and Steve Anderson's books and others, and studied all the Burkett videos. You’ll be focused on ways to improve your performance well beyond your marksmanship skills and be coaching newbies. You may have shot a major match by this time but if not you will be doing so very soon. You will be amazed at how much personal progress you’ve made and how fast your first year of competition has gone. By this time many, many people will have helped and befriended you. At this point, there will no longer be any hope for you. You’ll be a competitive shooter until you can no longer pull a trigger.

So heed my advice and avoid all this at any cost. Remember, Ye who enter here leave behind all hope! :rolleyes:

Edited by XD Niner

Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE UP USPSA OR IDPA SHOOTING! Trust me; I am trying to save you from a true addiction. Should you fail to heed my advice (I’m 54 by the way and been a USPSA addict for only two years) you will experience the following:

Your first match will be a bit overwhelming but some great people will help you through it. Your focus will be on safety and the basics as it should be. The experienced shooters will appear to be going at light speed while you are moving at a snail’s pace. No matter, you’ll end up having about the most fun you’ve ever had with your clothes on. You’ll practice your draws and mag changes ad nauseum until your next match.

At your second match, you’ll see some folks you shot with at the previous match but a whole new set of stages and challenges. You’ll better understand the major rules by this point. You’ll be much smoother and a little faster. You’ll finish with a sh** eating grin on your face. You’ll scrounge a couple of used targets that would get trashed anyway to let you practice more realistically. You’ll also have discovered the value of dry fire practice.

At your third match, you’ll really be getting into the game. You’ll be starting to think about strategy and tactics for each new stage if you're shooting USPSA. You will be more aggressive and begin to move faster between shooting positions. You won’t be as intimidated by No Shoots or partially covered targets unless they are way out there. You’ll begin to focus on the classifier to see just how well you can do. You’ll find one or two newbies and talk with them to help them through their first match. That grin will be back at the end of the match again. You’ll race home to see how you did when they post the match results. You’ll likely buy a timer so you can really step up your practice pace. If you started in IDPA, you will begin looking for near-by USPSA matches so you can shoot and compete more.

By your fifth match, you’ll be an old hand and spend hours of your time on this Forum. You will have made a bunch of new friends and begin to see performance details you hadn’t noticed before. You’ll be looking at other shooter’s equipment to see what division you may want to try and want to buy next. You can stay in Production and keep you costs relatively reasonable. You can also move to Single Stack or L-10. These will require a different pistol but the costs are still pretty reasonable. If you are totally, helplessly addicted by this point (which is very likely) you may even be thinking about Limited or Open.

By the end of your first year you will have shot thousands of rounds in practice, bought a few more pieces of equipment and probably a new pistol and may be shooting in two or more divisions. Your classification will be at least one level above where you began. You’ll have spent a good chunk of your life on this Forum, read Brian’s book and others, and studied all the Burkett videos. You’ll be focused on ways to improve your performance well beyond your marksmanship skills and be coaching newbies. You may have shot a major match by this time but if not you will be doing so very soon. You will be amazed at how much personal progress you’ve made and how fast your first year of competition has gone. By this time many, many people will have helped and befriended you. At this point, there will no longer be any hope for you. You’ll be a competitive shooter until you can no longer pull a trigger.

So heed my advice and avoid all this at any cost. Remember, Ye who enter here leave behind all hope! :rolleyes:

I have to piggy back on this because if you start this then you will eventually buy a shooting video and it just might have Hat Cam or Hosercam footage in it.

Then you will want to make your own.

Then you end up doing this!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=530953932984185588

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6313302211348003991

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7843160899192525822

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3992280568931451707

Get to a match and have some fun!!! :D

Overcome your personal issues and leave new shooters alone.

Unless you are ready to become well and truly addicted to the most fun thing you can ever do clothed, run away now. If you are ready, come on in! USPSA or IDPA does not really matter, they are both loads of fun. I have gravitated to USPSA more because I enjoy the freestyle nature of the COF's more ( just my opinion, take it for what is worth).

If you like the gun you have, USE IT! Don't get too wrapped up in the equipment game (trust me, that will come in time anyway). Use the gun you have, get a few extra magazines, a good holster and mag pouches and spend the rest of your money on ammo. I made B class for my initial classification using a nearly stock Beretta 92FS. It was my work gun for many years and served me well during my first year in USPSA. Did I win any major matches with it? No, but I had a load of fun and learned more than I could have hoped.

What you have will work just fine. But be warned, once you start down this path, it will consume you. All of my other (former) hobbies have fallen by the wayside.

Overcome your personal issues and leave new shooters alone.

Funny. I only added some grip tape and green paint to my front sight. I think I spent.....

0$

Tape was free and the paint was out of my friend's model paints. Other than that I think my total gear cost was under 150$ for a good holster, belt, and extra mag pouches.

98sr20ve

You just need to take your current gear and guns to a match along with about 200 rounds of ammo. You will be fine. The old timers will get you learned up fast and you will find what works for you!

Good luck and we hope to hear from you about your first match soon!! :D

Do it. Run what ya brung. Safety first, have fun, learn the games... the competitive aspects will follow. The most important expenditures you can make early on are ammo and training. Find some more experienced shooters who can be coaches and mentors, and you are on your way!

I'm 39, just started this summer... and this is the most fun i've had in...well... forever! :wub: I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us!

I am 40 years old and have no grand illusions that I will ever beat people who have been doing this for years.

The great thing about this is that you compete within your division (roughly the type of gun you have) and your class ( kind of like bracket racing )

I'm 53 and although I will never be a World Champion, and I am a "C" Class, I do pretty well at our matches. We even have people in their 70's competing with us. We have Great people and Great fun! Just had a match today!

I'm also the President of a club that shoots at an indoor range every Wednesday night.

So Come on out and have some fun!

Carl

I just found a IDPA match in my home town on the 19th. Front Range IDPA, Pueblo West, CO. I guess I should order 3 more magazines and some belt magazine holders.

Pueblo West's USPSA club has their monthly match on the second Sunday of every month...meaning there is a match scheduled for tomorrow.

High Plains Practical Shooters has a match on the 18th, but you would have to have already taken the safety course (we don't offer day of the match classes). www.hpps.org

Visit www.ecouspsa.com for front range shooting schedules and clubs. Pikes Peak does their new shooter "class" at 8:00 on the day of their matches. Only issue with tomorrow is weather.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info. Because of the weather I probably won't make the trip down tomorrow, but will gladly make sure you have all the info you need to be able to join in.