Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Or Sti Edge

azron

Interesting that you are going from one end of the spectrum to the complete opposite as far as gun weight goes.

Well, part of the reason I was thinking of either of the two mentioned pistols was really magazine capacity. I kind of feel at a disadvantage with the 10 round magazines,but as I think about some of the comments in this thread that really isn't true as I would be in L-10 and

anyone shooting a Glock or similar capacity capability shooting in L-10 is restricted the same as I am. That being said it sure would be nice to not have to do reloads as often, say a 36 round course I have to make 3 reloads if I hit everything correctly, where with one of the high cap guns it is 2 reloads. I guess what I am trying to say that it is an economy of motion thing IMO, as well as one less chance to boble a reload and blow my time. That is why I am looking at the two particular guns. Yes there is a huge weight difference as well as differences in the trigger and general feel of the guns. My thinking here was that if I picked a Glock, I have not been shooting the game long enough to make it too difficult to learn to control a Glock. If I picked the STI I am already used to shooting a 45 so the STI would be real easy to learn.

Edited by azron

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: You may also look at the STI Eagle so you can use it for IDPA as well. With the bushing barrel you can do both. If you shoot 40 S&W you can shoot limited and get 18 rounds in the mag with the right parts. I am new at this as well and was shooting a Kimber 45 and then went with the STI in 40. My shooting has improved alot with the change. I can't say exactly why but I think it may be the grip and the faster/lighter bullet. The STI just feels right in my hands. I have shot a couple Glocks and just can't get used to the grip angle or the feel between shots. I would try both pistols and then decide. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

My thinking here was that if I picked a Glock, I have not been shooting the game long enough to make it too difficult to learn to control a Glock. If I picked the STI I am already used to shooting a 45 so the STI would be real easy to learn.

Hello Azron,

I've been through equipment races on many occasions with different hobbies. I spent a ton of money during my bass fishing phase. Yet, the biggest bass I ever caught was while holding my 4 year old's closed faced snoopy reel while he took a leak off the back of the boat.

Then there was golf. I got my only hole-in-one while using a k-mart special 7-iron I borrowed from my father on the 16th tee because I had thrown my custom made 7-iron in the drink on the 15th fairway.

My point is that no matter what someone else thinks you have to go with what makes you happy. The blaster is not going to win matches. Hand-eye coordination developed with proper practice wins matches no matter what you choose to shoot.

As far as switching platforms goes, I really don't think you have to "learn" to shoot a Glock or an STI. You already know how to shoot at your current level. It is just a matter of getting the feel of a particular gun which really isn't that big of a deal as some shootists make it out to be!

Good Luck and try not to let the equipment obsession distract you (easier said than done) from whatever level of ability you are striving for. :)

Hello: You may also look at the STI Eagle so you can use it for IDPA as well. With the bushing barrel you can do both. If you shoot 40 S&W you can shoot limited and get 18 rounds in the mag with the right parts. ..................I would try both pistols and then decide. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Eric has made some good points. :)

bk explained the "shootability" pretty well.

Unless you are Dave or Flex, you will likely shoot the STI better.

A 3.5 connector and a stronger trigger spring shouldn't cause any problems.

The trigger spring and striker spring change starts to get questionable. Just like the RS trigger kit. Many folks use the kit without a problem. Mine will not light off Winchester primers 1% of the time. Not a big deal on a gun that can be fed with Federal primers, but not everyone likes this kind of thing. So far it's been 100% with Federal primers.

Now I'd take my G35 over a STI any day for shooting steel. The light weight of the gun and accuracy with the KKM barrel make steel a piece of cake. For some reason I shoot the Glock more accurately than any other handgun.

My wife has it now and I had to quit playing with it because while I can switch TO a Glock without a problem, switching BACK to the Para gives me problems.

I guess I should jump in here.

The Glock 35 weighs a lot less than the STI. There is good and bad to that.

For me, shooting the G35 with Major ammo, it forced me to learn proper grip and stance. And, that is something I see lacking in many shooters (and, I falter/back-slide a bit too, when I shoot minor ammo out of the G35).

I think the recoil of the G35 rates right about the same as the recoil of a single-stack 45 (non bull barreled) shooting regular power (ball-type) ammo.

Performance-wise, I don't find the G35 lacking.

I guess I should jump in here.

The Glock 35 weighs a lot less than the STI. There is good and bad to that.

For me, shooting the G35 with Major ammo, it forced me to learn proper grip and stance. And, that is something I see lacking in many shooters (and, I falter/back-slide a bit too, when I shoot minor ammo out of the G35).

I think the recoil of the G35 rates right about the same as the recoil of a single-stack 45 (non bull barreled) shooting regular power (ball-type) ammo.

Performance-wise, I don't find the G35 lacking.

Well if you didn't shoot the stupid thing so fast and accurate you'd be able to see why it's holding so many of us back!!!

:D:PB)

You are dead on with the recoil comparison. My wife had been shooting my SS Kimber for a year with 170 PF loads, but decided she liked minor loads better with the G35.

I had some wrist problems after shooting a lot of major loads for 6 weeks, but it could have been the 13 lb spring or just an aggravation of a prior injury. The lighter weight didn't give me the stable platform I'm used to with the heavy gun, so I decided to stick with the Para.

Oh, just buy one of each. Life is short! :P

That really is the only advice.

I've shot a G35 in LTD for not quite two years now, and have a short dustcover 2011 being built. If one or the other gun doesn't work out for you, sell it, lose a couple hundred here or there, but over what shooting competitively costs, in general, that's chicken-feed.

I really don't believe I was being held back by the Glock, but I hope to improve with a new gun, or at least rekindle a desire to practice and shoot matches. That, and I became tired of wondering if a "real" Limited gun would make a difference.

I feel your pain as they say.

I am a novice, but went down the same path as you. Cost a lot of $$$

I jumped into this sport in Limited 10 with a 45. Then I moved into Limited with a bone stock G35 . Got the mag extensions, fast draw holster etc. I shot bad, dropped mags (tried to stuff to many rounds in them) and used factory ammo (which has a lot of recoil).

My shooting improved when a learned to reload and loaded a soft major load and got a trigger job at the same time. Still a had mag problems (all my fault). Then I traded for an EDGE with all the goodies. It had \\\"heavy\\\" everything. The only thing I eliminated was mag problems. I then began removing all the heavy components from the EDGE and my times increased, but nevery really progressed like I should. I now shoot a G!7 in production and smoke my performance with the EDGE.

Moral of my story, for me \\\"lighter\\\" is better. Would I go back to an EDGE? yep, but I would have to build it as light as I could get away with. Having said that, which gun is better? Only you can decide. I can tell you this, a glock is a hell of lot cheaper and can be made to perform just as well as a high dollar EDGE IMHO. Hell, good mags are just about the cost of a G35.

Try to shoot BOTH! Most guys at a match will help you out and let you try one or the other.

If you got tons of money-buy one of each and blast away. :-)

...and I became tired of wondering if a "real" Limited gun would make a difference.

That is the killer. I don't know how many times I heard that 'stuff'. It mostly came from other shooters as I was coming up (the ranks). I can still hear it...

"Hey Kyle, your shooting great. Imagine how well you'd do with a <insert name here> gun."

I'd think about the things in the game that the gun has effect on. I'd think about about my times and such on those things with the Glock (accuracy, reloads, draws, splits, transitions, etc.). The Glock wasn't lacking.

Once I got into the upper ranks, I stopped hearing about how the glock might be holding me back. Those guys knew.

Buying new equipment is easy. Upgrading what you see in the mirror isn't.

Ahh Flex, it really is much easier to blame the arrows and not the Indian!

I have no illusions whatsoever about Indians and arrows -- just curious about the alternative for me, along with a small dose of "new toy" disease.

A lot of the choice also comes down to one's individual temperment and personality, as well. Some -- maybe Flex? -- take a perverse pride in a deliberately pursuing a minimalist approach, and having the cheapest weapon, but best match result.

Ahh Flex, it really is much easier to blame the arrows and not the Indian!

I have no illusions whatsoever about Indians and arrows -- just curious about the alternative for me, along with a small dose of "new toy" disease.

A lot of the choice also comes down to one's individual temperment and personality, as well. Some -- maybe Flex? -- take a perverse pride in a deliberately pursuing a minimalist approach, and having the cheapest weapon, but best match result.

Boo, please do not get me wrong. I was not making a value statement about your original question, rather was satirizing the "Glocks are junk" mentality that we face.

I quite often get the "new toy" itch :D

I thank everyone for there input. The comments have helped me and I called Dawson Precision the other day and had a lengthy conversation with them on the Edge, which was very enlightening. I will be buying the Edge and the necessary equipment (Mags, Mag carriers, belt, holster, etc).

So in the future you can all expect some newb questions on how to make things work in the best way.

Bob

There really is only one way to "learn" what feels good to us, and what works for us .......... buy it & try it.

We learn a little bit more about what we like as shooters with each purchase. The real trick is to try and make the right ones the first time around. ;)

Interesting that you are going from one end of the spectrum to the complete opposite as far as gun weight goes.
Can someone really buy an STI in this sport and not like it? I am not convinced that is possible. Then on the other hand can someone in this sport buy a Glock and not like it? Edited by packed

I have seen a Glock 18 fire and I am sure no human has achieved that rate of fire in ANY GUN!! So Glock (or any other gun ) will not hold you back per se... what you need to do is see which gun is more 'natural' to you and which one you have no fundamental problems (challenges) with...

for e.g. I prefer a weapon that pushes less back on me.. so to get comfy with a glock I had to increase recoil spring poundage rather than decrease (which is the common trend).. result more flip but less push back.. I can live with that and helps me to time the weapon better.

.. re: previous post;

1st line should read "I have seen a Glock 18 fire and I am sure no human has achieved that rate of fire in ANY SEMI-AUTOMATIC GUN!!

• 2 weeks later...