Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die

Any feedbacks in using the Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die on a 550B? Am planning of purchasing the Redding Competition Pro Series Die Set In Titanium Carbide which includes the Titanium Carbide sizing die / decapping, Competition Seating Die and the Taper crimp die.

Or should I get only their renowned Competition Seating Die and make do with the Dillon/Lee dies for the other stations?

Thanks!

I use the dillon dies on my 650 except for the Lee factory crip die.

www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

The dillon dies are carbide, but you still have to lube.

One point: Some dies are not as long as the dillon. You might have to mount the locking rings under the tool head. I have to do that with the Lee Factory crip die.

Jim Norman-Florida

All Redding dies use the industry standard 7/8-14 threaded bodies. So I guess its the same length/size as the Dillon dies? Sorry..newbie here in reloading.

On some dies the threaded portion is too short to be able to lock them down from the top and you have to use the lock ring on the bottom.

All Redding dies use the industry standard 7/8-14 threaded bodies. So I guess its the same length/size as the Dillon dies? Sorry..newbie here in reloading.

7/8-14 defines the threads, not the length of the threaded portion of a die. Trying to be perfectly clear -- you can cut threads on a portion of a 2 foot long pipe or you can thread the entire length of the pipe. Obviously you can cut threads on too short a section of pipe for a particular application -- the result is you can't screw it in far enough. What they are trying to relate to you is that on some dies, the threaded portion of the die is too short to allow it to be adjusted down into the proper position, if the locking nut is on top of the tool head. In such a situation, the locking nut is removed, the die can then be screwed down further, and the locking nut can be applied to the die from the bottom and tightened against the bottom of the tool head. Sorry, I do not know all about which dies have too short a threaded portion for use on Dillon equipment with the locking nut on the top. Listen to others. I would expect no problems with Redding, but offer no guarantee.

One point: Some dies are not as long as the dillon. You might have to mount the locking rings under the tool head. I have to do that with the Lee Factory crip die.

Jim Norman-Florida

Dillon sells a thinner die lock ring & wrench. The wrench (D74-10842) is in the catalog but you have to call customer service for the lock ring.

Thanks for the replies guys! Much help for me. I guess am good to go ordering those dies from Redding.

By the way, should I get one for the .40SW or the .40SW/10mm? Both have different product codes in their catalogue.

Jim Norman-Florida

Dillon sells a thinner die lock ring & wrench. The wrench (D74-10842) is in the catalog but you have to call customer service for the lock ring.

+++1 on that! That combination works great. I don't understand why more people don't use it. The one inch wrench and locknuts makes accessibility very easy.

Bronson7

The Lee resizing/crimping die is a must have in my book. With my current die combination (Redding titanium carbide sizing/decapping die in first station, empty second station, Dillon powder drop in the third station, Redding adjustable Competition bullet seating die in the fourth and a Lee carbide/ crimp die in the fifth station) I completely eliminated the occasional "fat butt" cartridge I was having. Every round that I have put through the cartridge checker drops in and out easily. Cost of the Lee die is about $12.00 and worth every penny. I prefer Hornaday "One Shot" cartridge lube as it does not gum up my dies like other lubes tend to do.

CYa,

Pat

Hi foxyyy,

I tried Lee, Dillon, and Redding dies out when I first got my 550. In the end I liked the Redding Pro Series the best. So now, I only use Redding Pro Series on my 550 in both 9mm and 38/357. If I add other calibers, they will also be Redding Pro series.

I also use 45/70 Redding dies (no pro series available though).

If you don't want the micrometer seating then I think you want the 40/10mm #89253.

If you want the micrometer then #58253.

I *don't* use the Lee FCD and have not needed. I check every round I produce in a case gauge though and haven't had a single round that failed so far.

Good Luck,

Alan

Hi foxyyy,

I tried Lee, Dillon, and Redding dies out when I first got my 550. In the end I liked the Redding Pro Series the best. So now, I only use Redding Pro Series on my 550 in both 9mm and 38/357. If I add other calibers, they will also be Redding Pro series.

I also use 45/70 Redding dies (no pro series available though).

If you don't want the micrometer seating then I think you want the 40/10mm #89253.

If you want the micrometer then #58253.

I *don't* use the Lee FCD and have not needed. I check every round I produce in a case gauge though and haven't had a single round that failed so far.

Good Luck,

Alan

Are the Redding sizing/decapping dies size each case in its full length?

• 13 years later...