Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Pact Mkiv Timer Chrn Please

41mag

I have just tried to use my new timer as a chrono for the first time and am getting an error the instant I hit the go button. It says somthing like... Error both screens triggered at the same time. After that it just beeps at me and I can't get it to work. Power down and back on and same thing happens. The timer function seems to work fine.

I could'nt find any thing about it in the manual. If someone knows what I should do please let me know. :(

thank you for your time

41 mag

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you follow the instructions to keep the cables separated? Just curious, you didn't specifically mention doing that. The cables crosstalk and cause this problem.

I second the motion to call Pact if you're having trouble.

I have just reread the instructions and the only reference to the cables are that you plug the first screen into the start jack and the second in to the stop jack. As an experiment I have switched the cables and it still gives the same error. I would think that crossing the cables would only cause an error up on firing as the stop screen would be triggered before the start screen. If I unplug one of the screens the fault clears and it is ready for you to fire a shot (which isnt going to work!).

thanks for the reply. I have put call PACT on my to do list.

41 mag

try covering the mic on the timer or setting the timer well away from the muzzle blast area. the last MKIV i dealt with had the same issues as you. every time we put one thru the screens it would show the error message. my friend has one also and he would pick up phantom readings when someone down the line would fire a 50 BMG. covered the mic and no problems after that.

Mine does that. It's a very early XP and I really need to send it back to be fixed one of these days. I tried all the tricks they suggested-- new battery, separating the cables, different light, etc, but when the same setup reads perfectly on an Oehler ten seconds earlier, I'm thinking it's not the screens.

try covering the mic on the timer or setting the timer well away from the muzzle blast area. the last MKIV i dealt with had the same issues as you. every time we put one thru the screens it would show the error message. my friend has one also and he would pick up phantom readings when someone down the line would fire a 50 BMG. covered the mic and no problems after that.

Thanks every one for the info,

I never get to fire a round, the error message displays as soon as I hit the go button . If I have only one or no cables hooked up the display will be ready for me to fire a string but that won't get it of course. Its almost like theres a short in the cable system or something.

thanks

41 mag

is your sequence of events something like this:

1. plug in both screens

2. turn unit on (at this point does it show a error message?)

3. hit the #7 button (chrn)

this should get you in the correct mode of operation

i can't remember what it shows on the screen after you hit the #7 button. I have a older MKIV unit which doesn't have the chrono feature installed (one of their older units) but IIRC it might show something regarding screen distance or something.

sorry i can't help any further.

OK, problem solved.... sort of. I called PACT and described my problem. They knew exactly what I was talking about. Guess they had a number of these make it thru the quality check system and into the field. I'm one of the lucky guys :angry: . So now I have to mail it at my expense and wait for them to repair it (they said a week after they get it!).

Thanks for the replies folks

41 mag

Mailed it today...$8.95 total with insurance and tracking. Tracking # 0304 3490 0002 7803 3383.

Wonder if since its there mistake any chance they will pick up the tap on shipping :rolleyes: ?

I will update this post when I get my timer back and let you know what they did.

Its a good thing I can tell how fast my reloads are going by the percieved recoil and the amount of dirt kicked up in the berm or other wise I'd be lost :D .

41 mag

I sent my brand new MKIV <_< in on october 12th with exactly the same problem. I just called Pact today, they said they were waiting on parts and were hoping to ship mine back next week.

They recieved mine on 11-13-06 at 1422 hours, Now I wait.

Any word on yours yet?

41 mag

Mine does the same thing on occasion. Some days I take it out and it will work fine, the next time I use it I may get a lot of the "Trigger-Screens Together" Error and the next time I use it I may get the Error just upon putting it in Chrono Mode as you are. It is a older XP though. Took it out last week to check some loads and got the same thing so I said the heck with it, packed it up, went straight inside and ordered a CED.

I'll use the main unit as a timer so if anyone needs a spare set of skyscreens and 24" mounting bracket let me know.

Mine does the same thing on occasion. Some days I take it out and it will work fine, the next time I use it I may get a lot of the "Trigger-Screens Together" Error and the next time I use it I may get the Error just upon putting it in Chrono Mode as you are. It is a older XP though. Took it out last week to check some loads and got the same thing so I said the heck with it, packed it up, went straight inside and ordered a CED.

I'll use the main unit as a timer so if anyone needs a spare set of skyscreens and 24" mounting bracket let me know.

PM sent

Are there advantages to the 24 inch screens... more accurate maybe? Mine came with 18 inch screens. Of course I may end up in the same boat as you are with the pact, hope not, 300 hundred bucks for a timer is a bit much. I also was unable to get it to download data to my computer :( . I have been advised to get extra screens and such on this very thread..how much do you want for them?

Its very frustrating to load up a few rounds, head over the hill to the range, set up the chrono and not be able to check your loads. I used to use my buddies cheap chrono, not sure of the name now but it was only about a hundred bucks or so and seemed to work great.

I read somewhere on this forum that the CED's are good ones, I think someone said they were used a lot at the matches. I hope you like it.

41 mag

Are there advantages to the 24 inch screens... more accurate maybe? Mine came with 18 inch screens. Of course I may end up in the same boat as you are with the pact, hope not, 300 hundred bucks for a timer is a bit much. I also was unable to get it to download data to my computer :( . I have been advised to get extra screens and such on this very thread..how much do you want for them?

Its very frustrating to load up a few rounds, head over the hill to the range, set up the chrono and not be able to check your loads. I used to use my buddies cheap chrono, not sure of the name now but it was only about a hundred bucks or so and seemed to work great.

I read somewhere on this forum that the CED's are good ones, I think someone said they were used a lot at the matches. I hope you like it.

41 mag

Sorry beat you to them :ph34r:

This the mark 4 xp ?

I have the regular mark 4 and seems by pact websight the xp uses differnt screens

I sent my brand new MKIV <_< in on october 12th with exactly the same problem. I just called Pact today, they said they were waiting on parts and were hoping to ship mine back next week.

Did you get yours back yet? I have'nt heard anything on mine yet. I'll call them next week.

41mag

41 mag, dumb question but do you shoot a .41 in USPSA? I inherited a early 70's model 57 w 8-3/8" barrel. great gun but I have a hard time finding brass these days. The range I used to shoot at and a lot of stores in CA dont carry the round for sale because nobody seems to care enough to approve the newer models to the DOJ. It seems everyone wants a .460 or .500 these days. I just moved to FL. and would love to know where to find reload supplies or factory ammo to have some fun. I own a model 29, but I cant shoot it like a downloaded .41! any recommendatons would be great. thanks!

. . . Its very frustrating to load up a few rounds, head over the hill to the range, set up the chrono and not be able to check your loads. I used to use my buddies cheap chrono, not sure of the name now but it was only about a hundred bucks or so and seemed to work great.

41 mag

What's really a bummer is setting up out at the range with this frustration, then having one of your buddies come over with his beat-to-snot $50 special chrono to help out. Course of Conversation:

Buddy: "So, that's your new PACT? What'd it set you back?"

Me: "About as much as a good timer and chrono together, but it's got some great features."

Buddy: "Do they work?"

As far as you question about PACT picking up the tap on shipping -- don't hold your breath. When I got mine back, it came with an invoice for $10 to cover their shipping.

The one I sent back WAS replaced with the newer model, though.

It only took a little over a month or so to get it back. Hey -- it'll probably be back in time for you to wrap it and put it under the tree! :o

41 mag, dumb question but do you shoot a .41 in USPSA? I inherited a early 70's model 57 w 8-3/8" barrel. great gun but I have a hard time finding brass these days. The range I used to shoot at and a lot of stores in CA dont carry the round for sale because nobody seems to care enough to approve the newer models to the DOJ. It seems everyone wants a .460 or .500 these days. I just moved to FL. and would love to know where to find reload supplies or factory ammo to have some fun. I own a model 29, but I cant shoot it like a downloaded .41! any recommendatons would be great. thanks!

no I don't... I bought mine to hunt with several years ago. The one I have is a PC gun called the 41 Magnum Hunter. Its a real nice revolver and if I could load it fast enough I might like to play with it. I'm looking to get a 625 I think.

Several years ago I bought like a thousand of every thing for my 41 mag. I think at the time I got the brass from Midway Shooter suppy (I think thats the name). I guess I haven't paid no attention to the availability of components. You have me curious and a little worried. I will have to investigate. I thought you could still get every thing ok!

Yea... :D I got a 460 and a 500 also, no plans to shoot eiether one in the action sports :lol: . Will go deer hunting in the morning with the 500 for the first time. The 41 is a lot nicer to carry though than the big 500.

Good luck finding supplies, I'll let you know later if I find a good supply.

41 mag

What's really a bummer is setting up out at the range with this frustration, then having one of your buddies come over with his beat-to-snot $50 special chrono to help out. Course of Conversation:

Buddy: "So, that's your new PACT? What'd it set you back?"

Me: "About as much as a good timer and chrono together, but it's got some great features."

Buddy: "Do they work?"

As far as you question about PACT picking up the tap on shipping -- don't hold your breath. When I got mine back, it came with an invoice for $10 to cover their shipping.

The one I sent back WAS replaced with the newer model, though.

It only took a little over a month or so to get it back. Hey -- it'll probably be back in time for you to wrap it and put it under the tree! :o

Does your new one work ok? Yea some of the features sound great...if they worked. I was unable to down load data to the pc.

I think a month is to long, the thing was brand new, I just bought it, they should just send me out a new one if they cant fix my brand new one Quickly!

I will be really disapointed if they bill me for the return shipping. I will have more money and time in a refurbed unit than other people will have in a brand new one.

Hope yours works for you.

41 mag

Did you get yours back yet? I have'nt heard anything on mine yet. I'll call them next week.

41mag

Sorry I havn't been watching this thread. No I still don't have it back yet, I quess i'll have to call them again.

41mag

Sorry I havn't been watching this thread. No I still don't have it back yet, I quess i'll have to call them again.

I think the shipping next week answer is a standard reply. I just got off the phone with them and thats the first thing they told be. But when I started asking the hard questions I started gettng some funny answers.

I asked if mine was fixed yet and what the status was. The guy on the phone said he wasn't the one working on it. So how do you know its going to be returned next week? He changed the subject by saying somthing like...what was the error you was getting? I told him I had included a complete description of the problem with the timer. So any way when I told him what the problem was he said they hav'nt been able to identify it yet.

I ask them if they could just send me another one since mine was brand new and I was never able to use it. He said that the new one would do the same thing. I said I thought it was only a small percentage of them that had made it out of the factory. He said that most people don't use the chrono feature and so there for don't report any problem.

They told you they were waiting on parts, right? They told me they didn't know how to fix it yet (even though it will ship next week). What parts would you order if you didn't know what was broke?

Is there any one on here using this timer as a chrono and the thing is working ok? I think I will start another tread to see if any one has one that works. Maybe this is going to be a major recall deal for them!

Hope you get yours back soon (and that it works!).

41 mag