Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plastic Ceiling Moulding

Vlad

My local building superstore had this "pre-painted" moulding in various finishes and patterns. I figured .. what the hell, I have enough to do refinishing the entire upstairs of my house, and the wife wants white mouldings anyway, so I might as well buy the finished stuff and skip a step.

This stuff is basically plastic. The good things about it are you can't scratch it, it cleans easy, and it bends a bit with the lines of my 80 year old house, which was well built but sometimes with a sin curve shaped "square". Silicone caulk blends in very well for filling the joints and gaps.

However ... How the heck are you supposed to cut this thing???? Any use of a power tool is an exercise in frustration as a low speed tool shreds it and a high speed tool makes it melt. So far the only viable option is hand cutting with a fine hack saw or a hobbie saw. Anything bigger fills up quickly with plastic. It takes for friking ever and cutting odd angles is a cast iron bitch. I assume these guys didn't expect everyone to have a water jet cutter at home so how do they expect you to cut it?

If you're talking about the urethane moulding, I've installed some using a power miter saw with a good toothy carbide blade (50T or more on a 10" blade). Just use a firm stroke so the piece doesn't have time to heat up too much.

Found some information on it here but it's more on how to get your angles right than how to cut it.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60371