Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Coaches?

jbeck

Hi all,

"Searching" wasn't cooperating, and I have a simple question: Is anyone aware of any USPSA or "practical" shooting coaches? I live in Philadelphia, and would love to get some professional coaching. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Todd Jarret, Ernest Langdon (if he's teaching), Chris Tilley (North Carolina), Max & Travis (Georgia but will travel), Phil Strader (VA, but might be moving...don't know).

Those are some geographical ones right off the top of my head. After that, contact Matt Burkett about setting up some group training. If you've got the bodies, he'll travel. Of course he'll travel too if it's just you, but the price is just more, but the training is worth it.

Rich

www.sevignyperformance.com Dave Sevigny,

I am not set up to travel and teach at this point. There are lots of great instructors out there.

Todd Jarrett is in Virginia. Phil Strader May still be in Virginia. Is there a specific division you are looking for?

Max and Travis are awesome but seem to be pretty limited on time www.maxmichel.com i have taken 2 classes from them they very good instructors.

I'm a new shooter, so I am not yet classified. I used to compete seriously in archery competitions, and am also a licensed cycling coach, so I was approaching this from that mindset. It was very common to have coaches that the individual competitors worked with on an ongoing basis. These coaches would analyze individual progress on an ongoing basis, and prescribe drills / training programs to improve upon an individual's performance. This used to be done in person, but with the availability of the internet and phone, many coaches now do it remotely (for example, Carmichael Training Systems offers online personal coaching and training programs for a variety of sports). I looked at all the names / sites listed above, and they seem to focus on courses and seminars - ie. one-time events to come out and give instruction, and then it is done. I was looking more towards something that was ongoing. I was taught, and have learned through experience, that solid ongoing instruction helps a person develop efficiently and prevents bad habits from being formed. I'm not new to shooting by any means, just the action pistol competitions.

It seems like I may be looking for something that there isn't much of a market for in this sport. I'll have to keep up on the schedules of classes for the people listed below, and try to attend one. In lieu of "coaching", I'm sure I can learn quite a bit from the people teaching these classes. The resumes of those competitors are quite impressive!

Almost all of the professional shooting instructors will consider you "one of theirs" after you've taken a class and are more than happy to provide coaching after the fact. I regularly call on a couple of them for help :)

But you are right in that we have no real coaches. Most rely on buddies.

However, lemme tell ya - you do have the best coach in the world already - right here at your fingertips :wub:

Need drills - go to the tips or techniques forum.

Gun problems - go to the technical and gun specific forum.

Did something right - go to the accomplishments forum.

Did something wrong - go to the screw ups forum.

Got hours to waste at work - go to the rules forum.

Need a laugh or a cry - we got those covered too.

So welcome to the forums!

Yeah the buddy system works great. If you have a friend you regularly shoot with or can practice with, you will get quite a bit of insight from him/her. Someone who sees you shooting day in and day out, will notice subtle things that you only do sometimes, or notice what mood you were in when you shot a good stage, or notice that your grip gets sloppy on cold days, but only if tape a lot. Things like that.

Hi Alan,

I have not shot any USPSA/IPSC matches yet. I have shot GSSF matches, club PPC-style matches, and club "bullseye-type" matches in the past. I will be shooting my first USPSA match on 11/19. I would estimate my experience level to be about Novice. In the GSSF matches, I was consistently about middle of the road among (50%) among all the other competitors. Club matches about the same (a little better, little worse depending on who was shooting that day).

Shooterbenedetto - check your PM's. I also competed at Bloomfield Archers in NJ for a little while...

jbeck,

A quick question or two....

have you shot a match yet?

if so what would you estimate your experience level at?

I have and idea or two but getting the answers to the above will help

Alan

You are a very seasoned and experienced competitor to understand the need to start off with the correct fundamentals(in any sport) and a coach can acclerate developement and save wasted time.

There will be plenty of "coaches" once you start getting to know people and a lot have good intentions but really arent going to help. Confliction/Confusion will set it. Make a relationship with the best shooter or the second best in the area. You would be surprised what they know and will share. If that doesn't work, pay them. Robbie L or Max M don't have anything to "annoint" you Master. They have the information on how to get there, so do I.

You don't live in OH but I can't refer you to my buds on the east coast but they are all smart azzews. You will meet them. Seriously there are some very nice people there. They moved from OH. :lol:

Are you shooting Topton on 19th? There are a good bunch of people there. Dave and Larry make sure you feel at home.

If you haven't shot USPSA before please arrive early and find Dave or Larry for a safety check. It doesn't take too long - maybe 20 rounds.

If you are interested (it is a bit of a drive) we run a USPSA practice every Wednesday at Guthsville Rode and Gun from 7:30 to about 9. Your welcome to come if you are interested.

Sincerely,

Eric Budd

Yes, I'm shooting on the 19th. I've been talking to Dave through email, and will be arriving early for the safety check, and just to get acclimated.

I appreciate the invitation to attend the Wednesday practice, but that is too far, especially after working a full day. I shoot at a local range near home, but there aren't any IPSC shooters (at least that I'm aware of having shot on the the team for a year). Hopefully, I can find something reasonably close. Even Topton is a solid 90 minutes for me.

I met Dave at the Topton GSSF event over the summer. I shot and RO'd the Sunday. He seems to be a great guy, and has been extremely helpful in answering all my questions.

I hope I'll see you up there on the 19th.

Are you shooting Topton on 19th? There are a good bunch of people there. Dave and Larry make sure you feel at home.

If you haven't shot USPSA before please arrive early and find Dave or Larry for a safety check. It doesn't take too long - maybe 20 rounds.

If you are interested (it is a bit of a drive) we run a USPSA practice every Wednesday at Guthsville Rode and Gun from 7:30 to about 9. Your welcome to come if you are interested.

Sincerely,

Eric Budd

Edited by jbeck

jbeck,

Shoot a few matches and get a feel for the game. Then check into taking a class from any of those that have been listed in previous replies.

If you can find a shooting buddy that both of you can coach and assist each other would be about the best option.

Use a video camera and tape your practice sessions and matches, so you can analyze them and welcome to the sport.

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek