benos

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
The Sixth Patriarch, long ago in China, once passed two monks who were arguing about a flag blowing in the wind.

One monk said, 'It is the flag that is moving.'

The second monk said, 'It is the wind that is moving.'

The Sixth Patriarch said, 'You are both wrong. It is not the flag, it is not the wind; it is your mind that is moving.'

think back to the mind that thinks... who is it?

;)

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Zen is enlightenment itself, in the moment as if to control oneself in time and space.

It is to become part of the moment and to grasp across even a chasm of distance to become the object. There can be no other thoughts because like the x it has none and you are the x.

Then you have called your shot and left the linear moment your mind is trapped in. Also as if a drug it becomes something one strives for and seeks. This moment of zen

To me calling the shot allows one to at least experience it more often with competitive run and gunning. I have used and become addicted to Zen in long distance shooting where one must find reproducible ways to bend impossible distances and time itself to become the x and merely concentrate through oneself.

zen is an escape from linear ... kind of like how you may think my concept of zen and myself have left the boat... lol... it has made me a better shot but more or less it is to me the goal itself. To be in that moment.

Zen is enlightenment itself, in the moment as if to control oneself in time and space.

Or Zen is a finger pointing at the Moon.

Stick a target on the moon and slap hubble with a dot on your rocket rifle... do the math ... be not the moon but the x ... Call the shot then on to a tougher shot. <eyes look for T2>

"To Shri Guru Dev I bow down."

Edited by shoot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shakyamuni Buddha was the founder of Buddhism. All buddhism is, is a way to end suffering. Zen, in particular, is a method of aligning yourself so that true awakening can happen. The Heart Sutra, or, "The Prajna Paramita Hridaya", is the seminal Sutra of many buddhist sect, especially Zen Buddhism.

THe word, "Prajna", in Sanskrit means, "before knowledge", or "Wisdom" Wisdom is not knowledge, wisdom comes before knowledge.

Zazen is a means to allow the true nature of all human beings to blossom and ripen so that we can find our way to our, "Original Dwelling Place", as Roshi Robert Aitken says. My teacher has said many times in Sesshin, that all humans eventually wind up on the cushion. We all have the innate drive to return to our Original Place. However, neither Zen or any other religion or spiritual discipline has a monopoly on awakening, or enlightenment, if you will. There are many, many ways up the mountain. For me personally, Zen is the way that has made the most sense to me and after many years of practice, I find this jewel is forever opening.

If you are interested, one of the best books that I have read is one by Albert Low, who is the teacher of the Montreal Zen Center and is a Dharma heir of Phillip Kapleau Roshi. The title of this book is: "To Know Yourself", and can be bought at Amazon.com. There are used editions that are very reasonable.

• 5 months later...
If you are interested, one of the best books that I have read is one by Albert Low, who is the teacher of the Montreal Zen Center and is a Dharma heir of Phillip Kapleau Roshi. The title of this book is: "To Know Yourself", and can be bought at Amazon.com. There are used editions that are very reasonable.

Thanks.

be

• 4 months later...

The student watched the Tai Chi Master do his routine. When the Master was done, the student jumped up and exclaimed, "Oh Master, that was wonderful. How long will it take me to do this as well as you ?"

The Master thought a moment and then said, "Perhaps 15 years.'

"Oh no Master," exclaimed the student, "I will practice 5, or 6 hours a day, 6, or 7 days a week. Then how long ?"

"Ah so," replied the Master. "In that case perhaps 20, or 25 years."

• 3 months later...

I am so new to this site that I am doing much more listening than talking. I have found myself drawn to a lot of the mental aspects and the Zen areas. Sometimes I felt like Single Stack from a long ago post when he said "I have a headache". But I am interested. My question is, the only time I have looked at anything such as this was many years ago when Tony Robbins was very popular. His concept was about "state". Where does Zen type thinking (or not thinking, I'm not even sure of that) fall in this arena, if at all ???