Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Way Would You Go?

twister

I'm trying to decide if I should spend my money on a Springfield Armory Custom shop pistol, or get one from a custom gun builder, such as Brown or Nighthawk? Any help you could give would be appreciated, Thanks, Dave

For $2000-$2500 you can get twice the single stack from Benny at Triangle Shooting Sports, Dan Bedell at Shooter's Connection, Rich Dettelhouser at Canyon Creek, Derek at Millenium Custom etc than you would with one of the production pistols from Ed Brown. Trust me on this one I went through a Brown/Wilson phase. They are a good gun but they command a premium which I found was non existent when compared to other gunsmith's work.

If you start with a Springfield loaded, STI Trojan, Caspian frame, etc you can build one helluva gun that is directly suited to your tastes and needs for $2500.

For $2000-$2500 you can get twice the single stack from Benny at Triangle Shooting Sports, Dan Bedell at Shooter's Connection, Rich Dettelhouser at Canyon Creek, Derek at Millenium Custom etc than you would with one of the production pistols from Ed Brown. Trust me on this one I went through a Brown/Wilson phase. They are a good gun but they command a premium which I found was non existent when compared to other gunsmith's work.

If you start with a Springfield loaded, STI Trojan, Caspian frame, etc you can build one helluva gun that is directly suited to your tastes and needs for $2500.

+1 to all of the above. I have always gone custom. No production line can, or will, ever equal the attention (and love) put into a gun by an individual sitting at a bench doing them one at a time.

I have a Trojan. Great gun. Very accurate. Put a ton of money it with new parts.

I have also several custom built guns from some big names in the industry.

CUSTOM IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO if you can afford it.

You can buy the parts and have the smith build your way or just give them cart blanche and let them do it.

Talk to custom builder, asked their opinion about frames and slides. The parts--Brown safeties, SV fire controls, Bomar sights, sprinco, barrels (Kart, Schuemann, Bar-Sto etc)

Go Custom all the way if you can.

I can't say that I'm very experienced in the way of gun options, but I can add a +1 for EGW. I had a junker used milspec and they turned it into an accurate-reliable shooter. Their lead time was reasonable. $25 deposit to get in line. Wait 12 weeks (my experience), they call you . . . you send in your gun. And then depending on the work, the timeframe varies.

Mine:

Weld frame rails/fit slide (it was bad)

Polish throat barrel

tune extractor

polish bolt face

fit match barrel (Kart) and chamber

match bushing

lower barrel bed for clearance

fiber front sight

trigger job (new trigger/sear needed on mine)

total gun cost: $1140 including $400 used base gun w/ many useable parts already. I'm on a budget so I had to choose my options carefully to only get what's needed to get the job done, but for $2500, you can get a great gun built. I'm in California so I can't start with a bare slide/frame.

I'm in the custom camp. But I guess the hard part is the wait. My gun runs good now and shoots straight. . .its still ugly on the outside though :) no fault of EGW. . . I didn't have money for the "pretty" things. They even managed to weld the frame rails without messing up the finish.

Edited by chunger

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll have a hard time deciding which gunsmith to go with. I'm sure the time frame will have something to do with it. Thanks again, Dave

I'd have Derek @ Millenium build it. He recently built me an open gun and I could not be happier with quality, price & turnaround. He exceeded my expectations on all 3.

I have pistols built by the following:

Rusty Kidd

Bob Londrigan (Brazos Custom)

EGW

Personally, for my next single stack, it's going to Benny Hill. Nothing against the previous builders I've worked with (a point of fact, my Brazos fits my hand the absolute best of any firearm I've owned, own or probably will own).

Benny does great work. Clean and simple and most of all, they run like tops!

Rich

I have a Les Baer and an Ed Brown. Both are fine guns but if I had it to do over I would get one from one of the fine gunsmiths metioned above. I have some of their guns now for Limited. They will give what you need and also what you would have wanted if you went another route. This will save untold hundreds of dollars...and hours of drolling over others guns! :wub:

Edited by chmerr