Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative To Sure-fire

j1b

Specifically for IDPA shooters or those of us who like to have a few tac lights around - this is an interesting alternative. I'm not certain they are shipping yet - but they will be soon. I believe currently they are doing some test stuff with a couple of LE groups.

The web site is brite-strike.com. My understanding is that these lights are high quality and much more affordable than sure fire.

I like sure fire lights - but I hate paying for them.

And so you all know I have no affiliation with this group. I don't work for them, I don't own stock in them, and I'm obviously not sponsored by them. One of the primaries with this company is someone I've worked with in the past - he knew of my shooting career (don't know how) and reached out to me to see what I thought.

Anyhow - if anyone is interested it might be worth checking out.

J

[edit to make the www clickable]

Edited by Flexmoney

My Streamlight Scorpion costs about $30, has better throw then most, and it comes with a built in spare bulb that doesn't cost as much as half the flashlight. I'm on my second one because I lost the first one, and they have lifetime warranties.

If you don't want to shop around, you can get it on sale at Cabelas for $35 right now.

I don't know about anyone else but those lights are still pretty darned expensive. I found the Surefire G2Z for $64 online.

Sure Fire will discontinue supply to any on-line vendor offering their product for less than full retail.

But, they are the only flashlight company which repeatedly signs on as a major sponsor of USPSA matches which is a huge plus.

I saw those advertised in the Blue press and at the time I wondered why it was shown with a Roach Clip on the key ring and is that other implement a can ring popper??? :ph34r:

We received these in our "goody bags" at the Florida Sectional and they are very neat. The light is primarily a beacon light and there are various ways to attach it to your BDU or whatever you happen to be wearing. They have velcro, d-ring and alligator clip attachment methods provided on the ring.

Leo

The "civilian" brightstrike are just cheap chinese lights. I have one of their LED lights, paid $42. It's marginal. They want $100 for it.

Currently, you can get the $80 single cell version for $34 with six spare batteries.

the two cell 5w version they charge $170 for goes for about $69 with 8 spare cells.

Good reflector, decent battery life, minimal flicker form the regulation circuitry, but they tend to use dental blue bulbs rather than real white. The switch on it kind of sucks.

Their police line looks a bit better, but I'd rather find the source and save myself $80-100.

I've heard good things about the Digilight flashlights but have yet to find one. Everything intersting has been back ordered on their website for quite a while. Anyone know what the deal is with Digilight?

My buddy won one of the small lights at the Florida Sectional raffle. It was a nice looking light and seems to work well, particularly at what he paid for it!

I guess they are selling direct until they build a distribution system. I found an e-Bay store that sells them below the "list" prices on their website and they had a few of the items that were listed as "backordered" on the website. Might be worth a look.

Edited by L9X25

I wouldn't buy a flashlight from a company so irresponsible as to build a flashlight that is to dangerous for anybody but trained LEOS to own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

As John Stossel would say "Give me a break!!!"

Edited by johnhurd

I wouldn't buy a flashlight from a company so irresponsible as to build a flashlight that is to dangerous for anybody but trained LEOS to own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

As John Stossel would say "Give me a break!!!"

The first thing I noticed on their site was the assinine LEO's only line of lights. Give me a freakin' break. The second thing I notice was that these lights are not priced lower than comparable lights from the competition. I think I will stick with my Surefire Z2.

-ld

I picked up a SureFire Nitrolon GL2, just for giggles. Those things are cool. They're cheap, they're about indestructable and go anywhere.

A much better option from the folks at SureFire that as Rob said consisently support our sport.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

The "law enforcement line" is a marketing gimmick that reinforces the us vs them mentality. Bad marketing, IMO. The features ( tri strike crown) on these are readily available to everyone on other companies products that don't use the 'law enforcement" only gimmick.

Prices listed are high for the products and features. For years, Surefire owned the high end light world and stomped on any dealer who tried to create price competition. So, prices for nice lights were artificially high. Over the last few years, there have been some new companies come out ( Pentagon Light, Digilight and Streamlight with new products amongst others) that are well made and reasonable priced. A lot of reasonablely priced lights are out now. Not sure what these lights street prices are, but the msrp is high and it would be difficult to move them. None of the distributors we deal with carry these, so I have no idea what the markup is and what the actual street price could be.

I keep some Brinkmann Maxfires around. Cheap (under $20 at Target) and they work well. I like the tail switch as well. Have one mounted on my AR (about 400 rounds through the gun, a quarter or so on full auto) and no problems with that one.