Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Shoot El Presidente With A Pocket 9mm?

Grump

Playing with the shot timer the other day, I decided to run an El Presidente with a Kel-Tec P11.

Anyone else ever do this? I'm just getting back into this type of shooting after doing maybe a half-dozen matches with stock guns in the late '80s and early '90, and I oafed a Mike on one shot. Hit factor was 3.75 on a 10.66 second run, botched reload even for me was 4.21...

Yeah, I'm reminded once again that you can't EVER miss fast enough. No Ds though...

Anyone else try this, and howdja do?

Aw heck, I just realized it calls for 7 yards instead of 10...

By now, El-Pres is whatever you want to shoot it at. I've seen three or four claimants to "This is the Real El Presidente" and they're all different. About all they agree on is the 3 targets and the turn-n-draw.

The most widely accepted distances are 10 yards for El Pres and 7 yards for Vice Pres, and (IIRC) a yard between targets for El Pres, and a foot between targets for Vice Pres... (but I could be remembering target spacings wrong)

As practice drills, we run them at many different distances, so....

This is supposedly how Mr. Cooper designed it:

3 silhouette targets are placed 1 meter apart in a line 10 meters from the shooter.

The shooter starts with 6 rounds in a holstered handgun, and a spare magazine or speedloader with another 6 rounds.

The shooter begins facing directly away from the targets, often with hands clasped in front or over the head.

Upon the starting signal, the shooter turns and draws, fires 2 shots at each target, reloads, then fires two more shots at each target.

Zack

• 3 weeks later...

After reading the posts..I just had to try it with a couple different guns.

I ran it in just under 9 seconds with 9 Alphas and 3 Charlies... but the 9 mm I used is a 3.5 inch Springfield Ultra Compact (the little guy in my icon) It's a Defender sized alloy 1911 frame complete with extended safety, slide release, and a mag well.

So it's hardly a pocket gun like one of the Kahrs but it's a favorite 9 mm daily carry piece. I have a PM-9.... and I'm sure reloads at speed with it would be an ugly thing to see :P

I always assumed the Kahr was my LMG gun.......... meaning.... "let me go".

I ran the Prez again with my IDPA SSR gun which is a speed loader fed S & W model 66 full of 38 specials. That was at 10.1 seconds --- clean..... but... I ran over 5K rounds through that gun last year and it seems to have a good memory :rolleyes:

if everything goes right, maybe 7seconds + or - a half second with good hits. Reload and turn to first shot is very time consuming.

I have seen it in the low 4's using an Open gun. for my production gun (USP 9mm), I hope to get it down to low 6's to high 5's. (with good hits)