Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Die Setup For A Dillon 650?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I am collecting the parts I need for a Dillon 650 that Santa is going to bring. I have a Lee undersize sizing die from EGW for the Glock cases. What other dies would you guys suggest that are the best for each station? This is to reload 40S&W. I did a search and found nothing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Eric

Redding Competition Seating Die

Dillon Crimp Die (although lots of guys like the Lee Factory Crimp Die)

For stocking stuffers:

8 - 10 primer pickup tubes

UniqueTek Powder bar micrometer

Dillon Calendar in plain view while pulling the handle :D

If you are going to load cast bullets at all use Dillion for everything other than the sizing. They are the easiest to clean the lube out of. Also buy some of the Dillion locking rings the Lee rings are terrible and you will not be able to hold the sizing die in place with them.

For stocking stuffers:

As long as your not yanking the handle while watching the calender. :P

EGW U die--Fixes glockified brass and makes loads feed better, but does make the press clunky and must have press indexing properly.

Dillion Powder die--Polish and taper the stem for smooter loading and .002" less case expansion. The harder you grip the bullet the cleaner & more consistant your loads will be.

Redding Competition Seating die--Not necessary but makes changing between loads easy.

Lee Factory Crimp die--Just to make sure one last time.

Hornady One Shot case lube and a gallon freezer bag.

Extra primer pickup tubes.

A little clamp on light for the press. Lowes $8

Low primer alarm.

Knob for the powder measure bolt. Lowes .90c

Scale, I like my old beam scale.

223 case and some 3/8 tube to do the primer catch mod.

EGW U die--Fixes glockified brass and makes loads feed better, but does make the press clunky and must have press indexing properly.

Dillion Powder die--Polish and taper the stem for smooter loading and .002" less case expansion. The harder you grip the bullet the cleaner & more consistant your loads will be.

Redding Competition Seating die--Not necessary but makes changing between loads easy.

Lee Factory Crimp die--Just to make sure one last time.

Hornady One Shot case lube and a gallon freezer bag.

Extra primer pickup tubes.

A little clamp on light for the press. Lowes $8

Low primer alarm.

Knob for the powder measure bolt. Lowes .90c

Scale, I like my old beam scale.

223 case and some 3/8 tube to do the primer catch mod.

What is this primer catch mod you speak of? Interested because I usually have spent primers all over the floor.

For stocking stuffers:

Just a question about the UniqueTek Powder bar. I have the 650 about 15 years with the original powder dispenser. I have noticed lately that the powder weight will vary about .5 from high to low. Scrubbed and polished the powder tube, powder bar ect. Still it varies. I've talked to Dillon yesterday and they say it sounds like the powder bar is worn. My question is about whether the UniqueTek powder bar is a better choice than the Dillon?

For stocking stuffers:

Just a question about the UniqueTek Powder bar. I have the 650 about 15 years with the original powder dispenser. I have noticed lately that the powder weight will vary about .5 from high to low. Scrubbed and polished the powder tube, powder bar ect. Still it varies. I've talked to Dillon yesterday and they say it sounds like the powder bar is worn. My question is about whether the UniqueTek powder bar is a better choice than the Dillon?

The powder bar stays the same, only the bolt for the bar is changed out with the UniqueTek. I know that some of the Dillon powder bars are coated (teflon?) and some are not. That may have some effect. The debate of older powder dispensers vs. the new ones

is heated at times. You might want to look at old threads or talk to Dillon about that too.

Hello: I don't have the calender so yanking won't be a problem ;>). I also like the beam scales as well and have one of those. I also read about the primer mod and have the 223 case already and the tubing. I don't have the press yet from Santa. Thanks Eric

• 2 weeks later...