Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intentional Shot During A Reload?

f250sd

A few months ago, after a match a hypo question came up.

If a shooter was to drop his mag. grab his fresh one, and sees a bad hit and desides to fire the round in the camber on the target, then completes the reload and moves on. Would that be a DQ?

A few months ago, after a match a hypo question came up.

If a shooter was to drop his mag. grab his fresh one, and sees a bad hit and desides to fire the round in the camber on the target, then completes the reload and moves on. Would that be a DQ?

absolutely no way...seen it many times-even at the nationals...

In my opinion you should be ok. I know the wording of the rule might make some believe it would be a DQ'ble offence but in my opinion an aimed shot in the middle of a reload should be perfectly ok, nothing unsafe about it.

The key words are "aimed shot". I have done it myself. Went to reload on the move. Dropped the mag. Saw the miss. Made up the shot before I put in the fresh mag. Finished the reload on the move.

Edited by toowide

no problem with a DQ on that shot, but i don't know if that's very good for the gun.

lynn

?

Has the same effect as droppping the slide on an empty chamber. The slide slams home with nothing to slow it down or cushion the impact of the hammer on the sear. Some cringe on this while others don't care.

no problem with a DQ on that shot, but i don't know if that's very good for the gun.

lynn

?

Dropping the slide on a 1911 without a loaded mag inserted is hard on the trigger job. Firing a round without a mag in the gun does the same thing.

Edited by davidball

seems kinda odd, but if he wants to slow himself down go ahead. I would think that it would be quicker to finish the reload and re-engage target that way there would be no need to rack the slide. The only reason to do this would be during a mandatory reload phase, then it would be quicker, i am rough on my guns so i would just let her fly!

Just my $.02

lynn

?

Has the same effect as droppping the slide on an empty chamber. The slide slams home with nothing to slow it down or cushion the impact of the hammer on the sear. Some cringe on this while others don't care.

I put in a loaded mag before I dropped the slide. That shouldn't hurt anything should it?

lynn

?

I put in a loaded mag before I dropped the slide. That shouldn't hurt anything should it?

i still would not do that.

lynn

seems kinda odd, but if he wants to slow himself down go ahead. I would think that it would be quicker to finish the reload and re-engage target that way there would be no need to rack the slide. The only reason to do this would be during a mandatory reload phase, then it would be quicker, i am rough on my guns so i would just let her fly!

Just my $.02

for me... there was a long movement between shooting positions, i am a big guy, so i had plenty of time to do the reload. lol :lol:

lynn

?

i still would not do that.

lynn

big DUH on me. this happened a while back. slide drops without mag. sorry. not thinking well today. Cranial Rectal inversion :rolleyes:

Edited by toowide