Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fire Started By Shooters

At this past weekends local match a fellow shooting a .45 started the cheat grass burning on one of our berms, took about 6 of us stomping and a couple of buckets of water to put it out.

I'm always skeptical of reports blaming shooters whenever a wild fire starts around here, and i have never heard a first person account of this ever happening.

Million to one shot but it can happen.

We started one with tracers from a 50 once.. could have been a coincidence, but then we put it out with a 106MM.. probably seen too many 'Red Adair' movies..

Of course the 106 started a fire with the back blast.. it burned itself out.. lol Man those things were fun.

Indoors I have seen fires start.

A shooting buddie of mine has casued two minor flareups.

He's a tall guy and shoots an SVI w/Tribrid barrel.

On two occasions I have witnessed the target rail carriers above him ignite while he was shooting. I am guessing this was do to unburnt powder on the rails.

Good thing there is always a fire extinguisher handy.

I examined the spot where the fire seemed to start . Some small rocks but nothing unusual.

The shooter was using jacketed bullets.

There was an awful lot of dry cheat grass on the berm though. Stuff's like gasoline :P

At a range Berkim and I shoot at, they've had 2 fires. Apparently one range used to have a shack up on the hill that contained spray paint for the steel located on that hill. It was speculated that back before they banned steel core ammo, someone glanced a shot off of a piece of steel and into that paint shack, something sparked and whoosh, big grass fire. I think another case was when someone shot steel core on the 100 yard line, glanced off a rock, sparked, and whoosh, there goes the second fire.. They've since banned steel core ammo at that range and re-designed the multi-purpose range so that they no longer have a paint shack and is more flat than before. That range is out in the hotter part of the Bay area.

Vince

Why do so many of us say "steel core" when they mean "steel jacket"?

Like fingernails on the chalkboard.

BTW, a lot of USGI M2 Ball and M80 Ball is steel jacket. Check it with a magnet like I did.

Two targets allowed bullets into the impact zone of the fire. One was your standard 5' high at the shoulders, bullets into the side berm. The other was a lay-down target, bullets into the ground at an angle, from there into the side berm (or wherever!). There were some rocks in the ground in the initial impact zone of the lay-down target.

A brass rake (i.e. lawn/leaf rake) did most of the fire suppression and a 5 gal. brass bucket filled with water put out the smoldering hot spots.