Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Production Question

jkushner1

A certain gun manufacturer that produces a Pd legal gun, offers in its OEM parts line the same trigger that all of its approved double action Pd guns have but with the addition of an overtravel screw. Everyone of this manufacturer's DA guns are approved for USPSA Pd division. And they dont make any race or limited gun that could utilize this trigger (what sane competitor would shoot a double action gun in Limited or Open anyway). So this part can only be installed in guns that are already on the approved USPSA PD gun list. I believe this trigger is legal for PD. I have read the Vanek thread and 85 Combat/Sp-01 thread, and still stand by my position but welcome comments.

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by jkushner1

A certain gun manufacturer that produces a Pd legal gun, offers in its OEM parts line the same trigger that all of its approved double action Pd guns have but with the addition of an overtravel screw. Everyone of this manufacturer's DA guns are approved for USPSA Pd division. And they dont make any race or limited gun that could utilize this trigger (what sane competitor would shoot a double action gun in Limited or Open anyway). So this part can only be installed in guns that are already on the approved USPSA PD gun list. I believe this trigger is legal for PD. I have read the Vanek thread and 85 Combat/Sp-01 thread, and still stand by my position but welcome comments.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, the easiest way to answer this yourself is to ask, "Do any of the USPSA approved models come with this trigger installed?", if the answer is no, then I seriously doubt it would be legal.

In fact I would go as far to say that it wouldn't be legal, except on the second Tuesday of next week, or the 33rd of June, whichever comes first. ;):)

Of course you could always follow Vlads advice and ask Amidon (it makes him feel loved when he gets email, tell him George and the rest of the Factoryville guys say "Hi"). ;)

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

Hmm ... how about we ask Amidon and avoid needless speculation?

Or, we could just let sleeting dogs lie. Several members of the "Super Squad" at the production nationals are using the guns in questions and the trigger in question. They have been doing so for a while. If they haven't been called- lets just assume it is legal. This 'asking' is how the Glock guys got in trouble. :-(

Hmm ... how about we ask Amidon and avoid needless speculation?

Or, we could just let sleeting dogs lie. Several members of the "Super Squad" at the production nationals are using the guns in questions and the trigger in question. They have been doing so for a while. If they haven't been called- lets just assume it is legal. This 'asking' is how the Glock guys got in trouble. :-(

What does the user of the gun have to do with the issue of legality? If it is ruled legal, then all well and good, if it is not, they have to change. Pure and simple, the rules then apply to all shooters.

What does the user of the gun have to do with the issue of legality? If it is ruled legal, then all well and good, if it is not, they have to change. Pure and simple, the rules then apply to all shooters.

It doesn't matter who uses the mod. My point was that top shooters have been using it for years at Area and National (International as well?) competitions. It hasn't been ruled illegal. (BTW, we are talking about putting a CZ 85 trigger on a CZ 75 or SP-01) I just think we should shoot our guns and not worry about it (at least untill the BOD does something to clarify the 2008 rules).

The following is from the BOD rulings page from th USPSA website under "Internal Vs. External"

"Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria."

Since the CZ-85 is production legal you can install the set-screw trigger on any other CZ that will accept it.

The answer to the original ? is "Yes" it is legal.

Just to clarify, the gun in question is NOT a CZ. The ruling is clear that the legal and approved 85 Combat's trigger can be legally installed in the approved SP-01.

This is different, the manufacturer that makes this trigger offers it for sale OEM, the only gun you can install it on already listed as approved (because all their double action guns are already on the approved list. No big sweat here, because I can always back the overtravel screw out and take it out.

I may be in Geroge's court here.

No sweat.