Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

06 Ct State Championship

Dennis Sherman

I started shooting IDPA in the summer of 99. I made it as far as SSR EX before stepping back from state type matches due to family/work obligations in 02. So, as my revolver is being out for refinish, I dusted off my 1911 and headed out to CT today to see some familiar faces and have some fun. Fun it was. I shot as well as I expected, and if you do not practice you will not maintain speed or accuracy you once had. The staff of the match were very friendly and should be commended for thier effort. As a former IDPA director and RO, I can tell you its a thankless job. Out of the 10 stages, 7-8 were very well designed and quite practical. I seen first hand where the Match Director went out of his way to step in and try to solve a few problems in my squad. The only thing I see that has changed is the lower round count. State matches used to be more in the 175-200 round count. I also noticed that they stuck pretty hard to the 18 round max on most of the stages along with downloading in one or two. But all things considered, it was a good time and I wish them all the best for keeping it going. IDPA is dead in the Albany/Saratoga area where I live, but it is alive and well in New England.

Edited by Dennis Sherman

We shot Sat afternoon. I agree with you 100% about no practice. The last match I shot before this was the S&W Winter Championships.

I thoroughly enjoyed the CT match. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The stages were well put together, and the ROs were fantastic.

Bravo Zulu !!

I shot it Sat AM and had a really good time. This is my second year shooting it and it was as much fun this year as it was last. I didn't catch any breaks so it was frustrating from that standpoint but all in all it was still a lot of fun.

My only complaint was that one of the first two stages (the one with the revolver bug and dummy) was set up in a way that it made it unnecessairly unfair to left handed shooters. As a lefty I have come to accept the fact that most stages are set up by a righty and you learn to live with it, but that first stage went too far IMHO.

I shot it Sat AM and had a really good time. This is my second year shooting it and it was as much fun this year as it was last. I didn't catch any breaks so it was frustrating from that standpoint but all in all it was still a lot of fun.

My only complaint was that one of the first two stages (the one with the revolver bug and dummy) was set up in a way that it made it unnecessairly unfair to left handed shooters. As a lefty I have come to accept the fact that most stages are set up by a righty and you learn to live with it, but that first stage went too far IMHO.

I am not sure about what you mean by breaks, if you made an error, and I made many, they gave you the penalty. I did hear a statment that was disturbing by one of thier leaders about Master shooters knowing the rules. The Masters I observed with a few problems were talking more about judgement calls, where there is nothing in print. Again, there is a need to eliminate as much of this as one can.

I am not sure about what you mean by breaks, if you made an error, and I made many, they gave you the penalty. I did hear a statment that was disturbing by one of thier leaders about Master shooters knowing the rules. The Masters I observed with a few problems were talking more about judgement calls, where there is nothing in print. Again, there is a need to eliminate as much of this as one can.

Dennis, I had two "misses" that barely missed the down three (one casued a FTN) and a hit on a non threat where the bullet hole barely touched the down three perforations. Certianly it was my responsibility to make the hits but a couple centimeters here and there and my score is 13 seconds faster. Some days you make mistakes and get away with it. Yesterday I had three bad shots all day and each one cost me. That is what I meant by not catching a break. I had no issues with the SO's. I still had a good time.

Dennis, I had two "misses" that barely missed the down three (one casued a FTN) and a hit on a non threat where the bullet hole barely touched the down three perforations. Certianly it was my responsibility to make the hits but a couple centimeters here and there and my score is 13 seconds faster. Some days you make mistakes and get away with it. Yesterday I had three bad shots all day and each one cost me. That is what I meant by not catching a break. I had no issues with the SO's. I still had a good time.

I hear ya, if a seconed look is required, I give it to the shooter. On stage one, not the one where you dragged the dummy, but the left side, I shot one shot through the back of the drop turner. Before they went into over thinking it, I just said, "if you don't rule for the shooter, give me the points down, they did. I had a good time as well. I am not shooting for anything other than fun at this point.

Thanks to everyone who particiapted either as a shooter or an SO.

Even Sunday's rain didn't dampen the event.

Preliminary scores should be posted tonight.

See You Next Year and "Thanks" again for the kind words,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Dennis, I had two "misses" that barely missed the down three (one casued a FTN) and....

Mr Neck,

For the record, a three doesn't help out with a FTN penalty. You have to have at least one hit in the -0 or -1 scoring area to not get a FTN.

That said, I get your point in general, it can be a game of millimeters. :blink:

Ken Reed

Thanks to everyone who particiapted either as a shooter or an SO.

Even Sunday's rain didn't dampen the event.

Preliminary scores should be posted tonight.

See You Next Year and "Thanks" again for the kind words,

Craig

Thanks for having the match. It's a shitload of work and I certainly can appreciate your efforts. I used to be into it 24/7 in 99-2002 but I had to back away due to work/family obligations.

Best Wishes

Dennis

Dennis, I had two "misses" that barely missed the down three (one casued a FTN) and....

Mr Neck,

For the record, a three doesn't help out with a FTN penalty. You have to have at least one hit in the -0 or -1 scoring area to not get a FTN.

That said, I get your point in general, it can be a game of millimeters. :blink:

Ken Reed

Thanks Ken. I meant to say I had two misses that barely missed the down one (one caused a FTN)....

• 2 weeks later...

Final scores are up.

Awards will be ordered next week and delivered either in person or through the mail.

We are personalizing the awards by adding names, div/class placement, times, specialty category and classification advancement.

Thanks again to all who participated,

Craig

It was a more challenging match than I expected.

You had to have all the shots in your bag. Fast open target engagement, movers, swingers, drop turners, head shots at 15 to 20 yds, well placed non-threats, and a piece of steel here or there that had to be hit fast and accurately or... bad things happened.

The match had well thought out stages that challenged all classes.

The half day format was great!

The match moved along very well.

Oh yeah - Thanks to all the match staff - A thankless job well done. I'll be back next year.