Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Them In The Back

Kory

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what this is all about is whether we should score entry wounds or exit wounds. Every lawyer will tell you shooting someone in the back is hard to defend.

Fortunately in this game we just have to score the points, not justify who we shoot in front of a jury. One might fantasize being a DEA agent in a drug deal gone bad and having to shoot a gremlin in the back to save one's partner from being shot if it helps....

What this is all about is whether we score shoot targets or not. If there is a whole in the scoring surface it should be scored. :)

So what this is all about is whether we should score entry wounds or exit wounds. Every lawyer will tell you shooting someone in the back is hard to defend.

Fortunately in this game we just have to score the points, not justify who we shoot in front of a jury. One might fantasize being a DEA agent in a drug deal gone bad and having to shoot a gremlin in the back to save one's partner from being shot if it helps....

What this is all about is whether we score shoot targets or not. If there is a whole in the scoring surface it should be scored. :)

I guess my joke fell flat on its face. I was thinking of the range lawyers and why we can't follow the intent of the game instead of looking for all the loopholes.

When I score a target I am only looking for entry holes on the scoring side of a target. If you shot a target and ripped a 1" hole in the target with a perfect double but I couldn't see 2 entry holes, then you get scored for the entry holes that I could see.

Scoring targets are standard carboard color. SO, if you shoot at the bak of a target and targets are visible on a "When and Where" visible basis, tell me how you shot the target that you couldn't see!

I score the target shot from the wrong side as: 1 Proceedural and 2 Misses. You obviously didn't shoot through a prop ( the back side of the target) did you? That would willfull destruction and subject you to a match DQ.

I think that we are so far outside of any legitimate standing here. We set up a course of fire and everyone knows what is expected. Shoot the targets from the brown side. Keep shooting them in the back and two things are likely to happen. One, you WILL eventually break the 180 and maybe by a lot. and Two, you will eventually place two very nice holes in a N/S thinking you shot the target next to the one you actually shot. Don't make us double up the number of targets we use to build a COF just to stop this insanity. Do you really want me to staple a NS on the back of every target? If so, please deposit $5 additinal in the match fees each time you come to our match. Remember, if we do this, we have to paste entry and exit holes! So double up the cost of tape as well as the time it takes to clear a stage.

I shoot with some VERY determined Range Lawyers and not one of them has ever postulated this insanity.

I can only hope that John Amidon comes back with a sensible answer along the lines of only the cardboard side is a target.

Along this line would you want two hits on a turner that you shot through the back? And in the case of a Turner, doesn't the white side count as a NS? and if so, why would it be different here?

Jim Norman

• 3 months later...

Shot in the back

Funny thing happened. We were talking about this post at a local match and then several stages later we found an example begging to have it done. We figured we had to do it once just so we can say we done it before the rules change and just to give a real example to the theoretical arguement.

Note the stage description designated 3 different shooting areas with 3 arrays of targets. Shooting area A was to be shot freestyle, shooting area b was to shot strong hand, and shooting area c was to be shot weakhand. Our squad and the squad behind us caredully read the stage description and determined that it did not specify you had to use all three shooting areas. Nor did you have to engage specific arrays from specific areas.

The two targets shot in the back were designated shoot targets in the stage description. An arguement made earlier in this thread is if a target is designated a shoot target it is a shoot target. Even if shot in the back. On the flip side a target designated as a no shoot if it presented it back scoring surface that could be engaged without breaking the 180 is still a no shoot target. You would not get points if you engaged the brown side of a designated no shoot target.

One of my Fav fun shoots to set up is "You shoot white ones and browns are No-shoots. hehe

PS I don't shoot targets in the back. I see how you could argue you can but I don't.

Edited by BSeevers

One of my Fav fun shoots to set up is "You shoot white ones and browns are No-shoots. hehe

PS I don't shoot targets in the back. I see how you could argue you can but I don't.

I enjoyed the red targets that had "BLUE" written on them, and the blue targets that had "RED". Flip a card, shoot the stage, and try and remember which last three you were supposed to hit :D Ahhhh the fun Tuesday night league...

I enjoyed the red targets that had "BLUE" written on them, and the blue targets that had "RED". Flip a card, shoot the stage, and try and remember which last three you were supposed to hit :D Ahhhh the fun Tuesday night league...

Actually Black and Red, hehe, that one pulls you out of subconcious doesn't it?

You are just Blue Biased.

For those unfamilar with PB he has all Blue equipment and is investigating Blue Tennifer and a total Blue body tatooing :lol: Sort of like the Blue Man group shooting

Edited by BSeevers

Shooting area A was to be shot freestyle, shooting area b was to shot strong hand, and shooting area c was to be shot weakhand.

illegal stage :(

I sometimes wonder why we bother with rules...

Shooting area A was to be shot freestyle, shooting area b was to shot strong hand, and shooting area c was to be shot weakhand.

illegal stage :(

I sometimes wonder why we bother with rules...

stage description:

18 rounds

Hands above shoulders gun loaded and holstered.

Start: In any box, but "A" you must shoot strong hand Box "B" freestyle and box "C" weak hand.

Procedure: engage as you see. A mandatory reload must be made between each box.

If you condone back shooting, this stage was begging for it: cut out all movement and two mandatory reloads, and get to do the whole thing freestyle instead of mixed strong/weakhand.

Actually Black and Red, hehe, that one pulls you out of subconcious doesn't it?

You are just Blue Biased.

For those unfamilar with PB he has all Blue equipment and is investigating Blue Tennifer and a total Blue body tatooing :lol: Sort of like the Blue Man group shooting

Hey it matches my 550.

DSCN0660.jpg

I should have stuck my muffs and timer in that pic at least my bullet puller is blue ;-)

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

You can't strictly specify one-handed shooting on both sides on the same stage/string, but you can either have two stages/strings. Also, with the proper use of fault lines, and baricades or ports, along with requiring holding an object in one hand, you can make use of left handed and right handed shooting on the same stage the best/easiest way to complete the course of fire.

• 4 weeks later...