Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Pictures

shooterbenedetto

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks really nice, he did a great job fitting everything.

Ben Hoffman really does good work. Literally 5 minutes down the street from me too. Always nice to have that luxury in a true emergency.

Ben Hoffman really does good work. Literally 5 minutes down the street from me too. Always nice to have that luxury in a true emergency.

Doesnt he do Bianchi guns? I have heard good things about him.

Hello: Here are some pics of a slide I am working on. Still in the white and will need some cleaning up before adding a coating or plating. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I really like it. Can't wait to start testing loads with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, he was big into Bianchi for awhile. He showed me several builds he was working on, he can build anything you want. A true artist in a machine shop.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you like the briley comp?

Actually, I am REALLY liking it. Very stable and little muzzle rise. Almost like shooting a .22. Only thing that worries me is I had to go down to a 7# recoil spring to get it to cycle and I was beginning to think all the load data I was finding was for factory loads. But I'm fairly convinced now that a 115 gr JHP over 7.2 gr of Longshot is stiffer than factory 38 super. (If I'm wrong, please, someone let me know)

I've never owned a .38 Super before and only had the opportunity to shoot one once. That was 20 years ago when I last competed. It was loud, obnoxious and was like holding onto an angry ferret trying to get out of my grip. This is soft smooth and easy to control. And again makes me think my loads are lighter than they could be.

Accurate? Yeah. More accurate than me, that's for sure.

post-54825-0-83691500-1437855725_thumb.j

So I'm still experimenting with it and may have the slide skeletonized to bring the recoil spring back up to 8 or 9 lbs. and I'll play with the loads some more and hopefully by spring next year be able to compete again. I still like my .45s but this gun is a peach. :)

My longshot load is 8.5g under a 115. Gives me a 175pf. If you don't have a chrono to work up that could be part of it. I use a 10lb or an 8lb spring. 10lb is in at the moment because my gun likes 175+ loads.

I originally went with W231 mainly because a friend had a ton of it. 231 works well in my 45 for the lead bullets I'm using in it, but it is way too fast for my liking and too easy to overpressure in something like a .38 super. So I made a list of powders that were between the burn rates of AA #5 and AA #9 and started hunting. I got a pound of longshot only because it was the only powder on my choice list that was available at any of the shops around here. Then went looking online and finally got a couple pounds of N340. But I would still rather have some AA #7 or 3N37. And doncha know, that seems to be what EVERYONE wants. :S

Also if you really want 3n37 powder valley has 1 & 4 lbs in stock. Some Ppl like it some dont. Some say it burns up a barrel. I would read some more about it b4 dropping 107$ b4 shipping N hazmat

Glad to see you got it! Lots of good load data on here for that gun. Takes a lot of powder to make maj. Let me know I have lots of data for a simular gun that would be a starting point for you

Edited by Open1215

Yes he does.

_20150730_231748_zpsjcqlyzoy.jpg

Is the one in the middle silicone carbide on the grip? I have one of Donnys guns from here and I love the grip with silicone carbide. At first I thought it felt really thick but it's really grown on me. Used with some grip lotion and it doesn't move a bit.