Open Gun Pictures

shooterbenedetto

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mine isn't worthy of this threads hottness :bow:

I've wanted an open style gun for decades it seems, something about red dot sights, compensators, and using technology to the fullest. Over the past couple years I've really enjoyed having a project to work on in the garage, it's been a race car as of late - but now I'm focusing on guns a little more. At first I wanted to build myself an open gun from the ground up, with no prior 1911 experience. But I soon realized there were too many tools needed and things to learn and I wanted to start shooting a 1911 style gun right away. So for better or worse I bought a stock Para P18.9 and have been learning my way around 1911's as I openize it.

Just finished adding the real "open" parts. KKM barrel, Brazos comp, and *thumb rest [generic]*. A little more tinkering and I may have the guts to start one from scratch.

104_1572.jpg

104_1573.jpg

Mine is actually old enough to vote...10mm Delta Elite

Was at the 1993 AWARE Invitational and took me to B class after getting another shooter to A Class....and still shoots great...

10mm.jpg

Edited by Amerflyer48

Mine is actually old enough to vote...10mm Delta Elite

Was at the 1993 AWARE Invitational and took me to B class after getting another shooter to A Class....and still shoots great...

10mm.jpg

Danny guns are like the Everyready bunny,

they just keep going & going & going.......................

I still have a couple of his P-9's I still use for steel

and had him convert my single stack open guns back into IDPA guns..

The PPS shirts he gave me SHRUNK though??? :(

but then again so did that Safariland brown leather I used to use! :)

Gun used to have a RED BUFF mount on it with a Tasco and a PPS slide racker.... oh yeah and a *thumb rest [generic]* back in 1993 my first handmade gun part will see if I can find the mount it is in my bag of old Odds and Sodds fun digging through old shooting gear,.. good times, good friends and good matches... Some have left the sport and sadly others have left the range....

John

Here's my (late dad) Open Pistol.

Circa 1992

Caspian Upper/lower. Wilson Barrel

38 Super.

Obsolete by today's standards. Can you believe Iron sighted /Comped/ Single Stack / 38 Super was state of the art then?

Obsolete for USPSA, put some optics on it and have a great steel gun.

Flack,..

I wouldn't count it out as obsolete yet,..

think of it this way,.. it is lighter than a wide body and if the course of fire is L-10 friendly ( taking a reload or 2 out of the static times) it may be as quick or possibly quicker if you can drive a single stack better than a wide body....

back when my Dad and I shot together he had/has a Caspian and I have the 10mm above,with a dot then. always a coin toss as to who would win the day.... and sometimes I think I would be faster with the old iron sights too....

sometimes "progress" is a perception... think of it as another tool in the IPSC/USPSA toolbox if you choose to shoot it..

John

P.S. I also have my Dads last singlestack, .38Super with a dual port cone barrel comp I added a C-More to it will be racing this coming year after having taken several years off and the budget doesn't allow me to contract S_I-itis Do I feel at a disadvantage with "90's Tech?" Nope,.. just have to focus and plan a little more..

Edited by Amerflyer48

This is my first New Custom Built Gun. It is my design (ok not really John Browning did most of the design) but I picked all the parts after spending 2 years shooting and dinking around with old used open gun. This is a HOGS gun. Which stands for Ho Guns Sporting in San Antonio. 9 major with all the right stuff that works for me.

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=788

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=791&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=797

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=794

Time from parts drop off till completed gun was 4 weeks. I have not shot it yet, and it is still in the white. The total cost of parts was $1731.00. I cannot discuss the build cost as HOGS is one of my sponsors.