Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Pictures

shooterbenedetto

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep this thread alive I thought I would share my "new" open rig. This is my first open gun. Being in Calif. it is tuff to get ahold of a STI due to our "safe handgun roster".

A couple of years ago I stopped shooting pistol and went to PCC due to my aging eyes and not being able to see my sights. And while I have LOTS of fun with PCC, I REALLY miss shooting pistols.

So about 6-7 months ago I started keeping an eye out for a used STI that I could use the frame from to have an open gun built on. But, like any supply and demand item, even "well used" STI's are fetching $2-3K. And a well used open rig commands $4-6K.

So I had just about given up on the idea of a open gun and was looking at carry optics. But CO just never really excited me much.

I saw a old open gun listed on a few sites, but it was...well...old. And the price was more than I was willing to spend on it. I had pretty much forgotten about it until a month or so ago when I stumbled on it at a much lower price.

So I actually read the description on it. It was an old Briley El Presidente. I had used Briley barrels and chokes, but I did not know they ever built guns.

As I looked at the pictures I could see it appeared to be in VERY good shape. And it stated it had less than 50 rounds through it!?!? Wait...what? 50 rounds?

So I contacted the owner and he confirmed it had only 20 rounds through it! I told him I would buy it if he could meet me halfway....we were about 4 hours apart....and if it was as he claimed, we had a deal. He agreed.

I then contacted Briley and they put Cluadio on the phone. He and another gent were the ones who build the El Pres's. I gave him the ser. # and he was able to tell me all about it. It was built in 2000. He gave me a run down on the parts used, etc. Gave me a run down on the history of the El Pres's and all kinds of good info.

Now...it was time to bring this old rig up to date. So I replaced the SS STI mag well with a Dawson Ice, replaced the sight mount with a Cheely, topped in with a RTS2,  added a thumb rest, slide racker, had it set up for 38SC, all new springs, etc.

So it now looks more like a racegun and not something Han Solo would be packing.

Ok...next step....how do I feed it??? I do not reload for pistol. Hmm...hello...Dillon Precision? I need a 1050 w/Bulletfeeder.

But....my buddy who also shoots 38SC tells me I need to shoot it NOW. And our club match was a few days away. He tells me come on out and use my ammo. Yeah, yeah...I know. Not the smartest thing to do. But man...I want to shoot this thing. 

So I show up at the match with my 18+ year old "new" open rig. Having NEVER shot it. Using borrowed ammo. And went for it. The first stage (seen in the video below) was a bit tense for me to say the least.

But the gun ran like a top. Not one hiccup. And I was able to place 6th overall out of 41. I was pleased with that after not having shot a pistol in a match in over two years.

So here it is before and after. Do I wish I could have an Akai, Atlas, CK, Brazos, etc.? You bet. But I am EXTREAMLY pleased with how this worked out for me and for the price I would have had to pay double for the above rigs.

I will be moving from Calif at some point and then I will have a cool open gun. For now I am please to start my journey in open with the old Pres.

IMG-7063-Copy.jpgfree screenshot software

IMG-7058-Copy.jpg

20181205-17391156-Copy.jpg

20181205-173744877-Copy.jpg

20181205-173810-Copy.jpg

Edited by BigBamBoo

2 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Nice work...!!!   In that 1st stage did you receive penalties for shots out of FF zone or was the sound timing off in the video??

Yeah...I guess Tom (the RO) missed that...so no penalties. I noticed that my self right away while reviewing the video. 

90s 38 super limited pro with factory drill n tap. Old 3 hole pattern. Factory slide with Canyon creek built comp an 2 top ports.

Tanfoglio gold team 9maj upper as well :-) gun shoots super soft with 9 and 38. Absolutely love this set up!67f17efad3cb25c08f899d62e7ff38cc.jpga5e3750d4a4f7923dfda8695cb2e1d2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, jklt222 said:

Shoots like dream! Flat and a tack driver! I have a Limcat Phantera in 9mm Major coming any day now for USPSA. Can't wait. I will post pics of that one also.

Did your Phantera come yet?