Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After 15 or so years

Shooter Grrl

I may be embarrassing inept at competition related knowledge,  but I earned my knowledge of college.  It took me 12 years on and off to get a BS.  The last 2 or so were 4 semesters a year (early and late summer) working part/full time while supporting two kids and a wife.  

My mother entered college for the first time in her early 40's.  She finished while I was sailing in uncle sams canoe club.  

I was terrified of mathmatics but finished with high grades through two semesters of calculus and statistics.  The key is much like shooting discipline.  Always seek help.  Mentoring is the only way I made it.  An ego never aced a math test.

I have a story to bore you with that may interest you.

Early in one of my returns to school I tried a 5 hour algebra/trig class.  The school usually offered it as two classes but combined it for advanced types.  I wanted to get it over fast so I took it inspite of my lack of math savy.  Within the first week I was drowning.  The drop date was up so I followed the instructor from class the day I was going to leave.  A side note would be good here.  The instructor was a recent mathmatics grad and was continuing to grad school.  He was in his early 20's and I was close to 30 at the time.  Most of the other students were his age or younger,  it shouldn't have mattered but because of my problems it might have.   That last day I approached him and told him I was dropping his class that day.  He answered nonchalantly "ok".  I was trying to explain myself so I added that I thought he was a good instructor but I just wasn't getting the material.  He turned and looked me in the eye and said " The one thing I've learned being a math major is there are two types of people.  Some people think in numbers,  some people think in words.  I think in numbers and you think in words,  I can't help you",  and he turned and walked away.  I'm not sure how much that really helped me but I learned why I have such a problem and why some breeze through it.  I did become much more aware of my problem and used the mentoring to overcome it.  

College is a path to growth.  Enjoy the journey.

James.

Cool.  Go get 'em Kath!

I was a perpetual student for a while, having too much fun to leave, but I definately get the 'number' people vs the 'word' people.   I'm a word-thinker.  (Hey BE, that tie into temperment types??)

Kath,

Read BE's book before you head for math class - particularly the part about "trying."  Don't "try."  I'm not saying don't do the work, but "trying" always leads to math anxiety - resulting in test scores in the teens.  Been there.  Done that.  Be in your happy place for class and tests.

BTW, the profs that speak in plain English are almost always the smart ones...and the best teachers.  Meet the profs in advance and seek out the plain spoken ones - if you have that option.

What classes are ya takin'?

Congratulations!

More education is not for everyone, but if it allows you to find a job you really like it is time and money well spent. Eight years after dropping out of college I went back to finish my B.S., went on to grad school and now I've got a job that I really love. It's a great feeling to want to go to work.

My uncle quit his job (at age ~48) to go back to college to get his teaching certificate. I've never seen someone so happy teaching junior high school. Loved it so much he kept taking classes part time and now he's on the faculty at Texas A&M (still happy as a clam).

I'm not a real mathematician but I once taught "Basic Math" at a Junior College. I teach a couple of statistics courses and I'd be glad to help with stats.

Cheers,

SG,

It took me 18 years to get an AA!  One career crisis, and I knew I needed more than a HS diploma to take care of my family.  It was wierd being the thirty-something in a classroom of early 20's traditional students.

Funny note.  My last classs was "Sex and Marriage" and the instructor was a local hospital department head.  On the first night I looked around the room and of the 19 or so students no one was over 23.  A few were married, but all were YOUNG.  The instructor asked us what we expected of the class, and I told her I thought it would be easy; after all the answer to "sex and marriage" was "NO."  They all laughed, but on the way out that night a young blonde girl asked me "Is it true that me lose their sex drive when they get to be your age?"

I should have taken on-line classes too...

Stick with it, it can be done, and the worst part is starting again.

Tom

Hey I'm a reentry student, and I was a math loser in all my past attempts, however since going back I've found math's not all that tuff ... if you do the work.  It's like dry firing and shooting you have to do the reading and the homework everynight to keep up with it, and after a friday class don't wait till sunday to do the home work.  I find I have 24 to 36 hours after class to get the homework done to actually learn what was covered in class.

Kath,

I went back about 13 months ago to get my MBA and I chose  Univeristy of Phoenix ( UoP we call it). I'm fortunate that I can go to class but I hear the online version is good.

Good luck. FWIW, I have found that you get out of it what you put in to it.

I finished college in 1991 (I was certainly a full-fledged adult by then, I assure you!) and carried a heavy load of study and outside work for over three solid years--including summer school AND a 30-day trip (1988) to the (then) Soviet Union.  I got straight A's (too bad I can't shoot that well) and it was worth every minute of my effort. Then I moved to Eugene to work on my Masters and PhD but found I couldn't begin to afford it even though I'd been accepted at the U of O. Tuition just keeps going up, too, dammit. I may NEVER finish my graduate studies!

Either way--go for it!!!

(Edited by SiG Lady at 7:42 am on Dec. 23, 2002)

Good for you grrl, I'm pulling a double major in civil/structual engineering and math( just finished calc 4 ). Just drop me line if you need help.  Don't be intimidated, my mom was in the same situation as you, just apply the enthusiasm as you have towards shooting to your school work and you'll be fine.

funny how the only reason I'm in school is so that I can end up with a job that can support my shooting habit/obsession both in free time and financially.  Make sure whatever program you get into is accredited.  Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Kathy

Good job. O---r or should I say returning students average much higher scores in college. They are serious and committed. They also don't go out to the bars Wed-Sun. You will not regret your decision a bit. Go for it.

(Edited by BSeevers at 11:40 am on Jan. 21, 2003)