Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ice Magwell And Base Plates

unclez

Just ordered a Dawson Ice magwell (aluminum) and I'm in need for some base plates. Did a search but couldn't come up with a direct answer. Will the Arredondo base plates work with the Ice? I have heard the Ice is kinda finiky on which extentions it works with. Also heard the Arredondo springs would not work with newer #5 and #6 followers.

Any suggestion? Shold I just get the Dawson extentions?

Just ordered a Dawson Ice magwell (aluminum) and I'm in need for some base plates. Did a search but couldn't come up with a direct answer. Will the Arredondo base plates work with the Ice? I have heard the Ice is kinda finiky on which extentions it works with. Also heard the Arredondo springs would not work with newer #5 and #6 followers.

Any suggestion? Shold I just get the Dawson extentions?

I had an Ice magwell and had issues trying to install it. I sold it and bought a S&J Custom Magwell. Easy install and works with all base plates I have which include Dawson, Arredondo & Taylor.

Edited by TruStreet

Yes they work, you can also modify the arredondo, wolff, or ISMI springs to work with the follwers with some tweaking. You'll have to ben them slightly and work them in with a fine flat tip screwdriver. Once you get them in, crazy glue the spring to the follower. Works well for me, and I keep a few extra springs pre fitted, and glued in my parts kit just in case i need to make a quick swap out.

Yes they work, you can also modify the arredondo, wolff, or ISMI springs to work with the follwers with some tweaking. You'll have to ben them slightly and work them in with a fine flat tip screwdriver. Once you get them in, crazy glue the spring to the follower. Works well for me, and I keep a few extra springs pre fitted, and glued in my parts kit just in case i need to make a quick swap out.

Thanks for the tip Yar. I thought I had read somewhere about the springs not working with the newer followers. Thanks

I just installed a Dawson magwell. Arredondo +5 bases would not click into the pistol. The Dawson base is angled on the top edge so I modified the Arre's to mimic the same shape. Basically just slope the top edge of the base with a 45 degree bevel.

No issues with the Arredondo springs so far.

Just a update. Installed the Ice magwell last week. Installed easily and the factory 17rd mags I had would work fine.

Installed the Arredondo base plates today. Installed easily, springs worked with the #5 followers and can squeeze 23 rds into them. I decided to download them to 22rds though because the 23rd was denting the case trying to squeeze it in.

Mags with the base plates slide in easy but are kinda hard to fully seat even when empty. I have to push pretty hard or either tap pretty hard with the palm of my hand to get them to fully seat. Hopeing this will smooth out eventually.

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade. B)

Mags with the base plates slide in easy but are kinda hard to fully seat even when empty. I have to push pretty hard or either tap pretty hard with the palm of my hand to get them to fully seat. Hopeing this will smooth out eventually.

If you have a issue with them clearing, then I wouldn't count on that smoothing out with use...not in a good way, at least.

One of the main reasons that people put a magwell on a gun is to get quicker/easier reloads. If you have to seat the mag hard to get it to take, then you've probably negated any percieved advantage. :(

Check it without rounds in the mag. Does it still seat hard?

Yea, it's still kinda hard to seat them loaded or unloaded. I believe its gonna be the top edge of the pads as Want2Race posted above catching a litlle on the magwell. Gonna pull the insert out when I think about to see if thats what its catching.

I had one other issue when installing the magwell. the front portion of the grip was squeezed inward a little bit. This caused a serious drag on the magazine. The magwell fits so tight that it squeezed the bottom of the grip frame. A little work with a round file and sanding drum (dremel) took care of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought both the Arredondo and the Dawson + 4/5 basepads, I just installed them and I am going to test them out this week.

I also have 5 new stock 15 round mags ( its a model 35) and I would like to put some basepads on them just to help with seating into my ICE magwell.

Could anyone here recommend some good +0 basepads that might add a little length and weight to the mags but still give me 100% reliability and not cost a fortune to buy 5 of them?

If not are the factory +2 basepads reliable?

Although I know absolutely nothing about installing a after-market baseplate, I did hear Dave Sevigny say that he used Arrenondo baseplates and he used a Glock 18 Mag spring. He said he loses one round of mag capacity, but they function reliably. Dont know if this will help. :)