Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Falling Steel Shotgun Target

I made up seven of these targets for our last 3-gun match and they really worked well. Not one malfunction and the shooters really liked the way they worked. Steel Shotgun Target

These were made from scrap 3/8" mild steel plate approx 8"x12". If they are sheared, you'll probably want to run a grinder along all edges. Next, drill 2- 5/16" holes about 1 inch down from the top edge and 1 1/2" center to center. Mount a 5/16" x 1 3/8" x 2 1/2" U-bolt into holes with a nut on either side of the plate.

The stake is a standard fence post cut to desired ( 5' ) height. On the back edge of the post, grind or cut a notch about 5/16" deep to hold the U-bolt.

Drive the pole into the ground and drop the U-bolt over the top and into the notch.

These cost next to nothing to make and shot doesn't phase them a bit. Haven't tried them on pistol but I imagine you'd have to go to T1 plate or harder. The other thing I haven't done yet is put a bolt through the post about half way down to limit the distance the plate falls. Should work though.